Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dover coming out and saying Hogan is "expected" to stay at Melbourne is interesting. I might be overly optimistic here but it seems like everyone has been playing silly buggers for months. Mahoney would have 100% known things were going on with Hogan last week when he came out and said Jess wont be trade. Given how long these rumors have been going on, to me, it seems like everyone is under strict instructions to play a straight bat and given the two WC guys were now actually validated and they unbelievably met at the "Bait and Tackle" I'm more inclined to believe the others in saying he might be heading to us.

I'm cautiously moving my 5% chance up to 20%. Mangers are careful with what words they use, "expected" is not "will be" and it has left him some wiggle room.

You only meet with Fyfe if you are seriously considering a move. There manager has obviously paired them so Fyfe can help answer any of Jesses questions that are hampering a decision for him to move or stay.

Their b&f is tomorrow night, if we were to hear anything then it shouldn't be before Tuesday which is fortunate because it would hopefully mean the Wilson and Matera trades are done by then.

The nightmare situation is that Hogan asks to come home and all our other endeavours are put on the back burner, opening the door for West Coast to pinch Wilson late and then we can't get a deal done for Hogan. So we are left in the rain.
Jason Dover Vs Colin Young .
Now I believe there is something there especially after what Colin said on Trade radio .

Am I right in thinking that if we trade our 2018 second rounder we can't trade our 2018 first rounder? Then assuming our 2018 second rounder goes to GWS for Wilson I don't think we'd have the currency to get Hogan unless Melbourne are somehow satisfied with 5, Balic and/or Tabs?
The Perth Now article suggests we'd need to trade a player. Trading someone that is not fringe would be inevitable if we have the opportunity to secure Wilson, Matera and Hogan this time around.

They might be mate from Clarmont
Look at the age gap highly unlikely

Dover can't say anything but what he did until all ducks are in a row. B&f is Monday night the manager will hardly want to cause a lever situation for hogan.

Ian convinced we are in play but not convinced we land him

If you're Colin Young, you tell Brad Lloyd via Trade Radio to not torpedo the Wilson and Matera deals in pursuit of Hogan.

You're so right. I think there's a reason why we have the Wilson and Mayer's deals sown up. Get them out of the way. Jesse his to the Dee's b&f and then Tuesday onwards is Jesse time?

I've gone the opposite since Dover has come out and said he's staying. I think Jesse thought about the move but has decided not to move to us yet.

If be interested to know what player Melbourne would want in the trade.

I've gone the opposite since Dover has come out and said he's staying. I think Jesse thought about the move but has decided not to move to us yet.

If be interested to know what player Melbourne would want in the trade.
Weller , tucker ,Neale to.adelaide are some of the scenario plus next year first round .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We cannot use both next years 1st and next year 2nd picks.

If Lloyd has a handshake deal to trade next years 2nd for Wilson then he should stick to it. Reneging on deals is bad form and bad for the brand.

Wilson foe 2018 2nd. Hogan and 2017 2nd for pick 5, Balic and Neale. Otherwise keep 5 and get Jesse next year.

The rules around not trading future first and second round picks could be just as flimsy as the “need to use 2/4 first rounders”...unless the AFL say it’s ok.

I reckon we could convince the AFL to let us use 2017 & 2018 firsts for Hogan if it comes to it. The rules are designed to stop clubs harming themselves, not to stop them becoming stronger.

Personally, I would prefer we wait a year or two before bringing him over. Only issue then is the WCE will probably hold the stronger trade hand.

Edit: or maybe Lloyd plays silly bugger with GWS and offers 2018 first for Wilson and GWS 2018 first & third or fourth (or whatever). Then melb get pick 5 + GWS 2018 first + Taberner for Hogan. Throw in Balic as steak knives.

Last edited:
Don't think any of this is actually happening but if Neale got the deal done without adding anything else I'd probably do it (assuming he wants to go). Hope that we can use pick 5 this year + our first next to draft a midfielder to replace him.

Am I right in thinking that if we trade our 2018 second rounder we can't trade our 2018 first rounder? Then assuming our 2018 second rounder goes to GWS for Wilson I don't think we'd have the currency to get Hogan unless Melbourne are somehow satisfied with 5, Balic and/or Tabs?
That is how the rule works but the AFL can wipe it off the table and let a club do it, which they have so far when Hawthorn did it last year

May be pick 5 to GWS,we get their 1st pick + Wilson.Giants 1st pick + 2018 1st rounder + Balic to Melbourne,demons hand over Hogan.

We lose 2 x 1st rounders + Balic,gain Hogan & Wilson.

Back