Toast 2017 Doig Medal Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to know that kicking to the opposition wins you medals. Works for Dangerfield and Martin, now Hill. skills are no longer needed in AFl
More like NFI than AFI (& yes, I do know it was a lower case L):p

Wah. I forgot I'm not allowed to post negative. He's the greatest player in history. We'll win a flag next year and for the next 20. Is that how I'm meant to do it?

I sense a little cynicism is in this post.

Wah. I forgot I'm not allowed to post negative. He's the greatest player in history. We'll win a flag next year and for the next 20. Is that how I'm meant to do it?
No need for sarcasm. Maybe just consider the possibility that when 99.99% of people & evidence (Dangerfield for example) disagree with you there is at least the possibility that your judgement is biased or flawed.

My annual collection of thoughts from Freo's night of nights:

-The new Crown Ballroom is...very, very rectangular. When you sit right up the back, as we self-funded attendees do, it feels a mile away from the stage in comparison to the Grand Ballroom or my personal preferred venue of the Convention Centre. And whoever did the sound mixing has clearly been poached from Domain Stadium, as it was often a real battle to hear what an interviewee was saying!
-Pacing, pacing, pacing! I know things can lengthen out when there is a Con Regan Medal and life memberships to hand out, but there is no excuse for the actual count to not start until 9.46 and those interminable intermissions...
-Nice to see an FFC person in Peter Bell hosting; although personally I thought he was professional but not particularly warm or engaging
-I quite liked Dale Alcock's speech. He's probably not as polished a speaker as Steve Harris was, but his folksy references to what being a Dockers tragic means and "Freo moments" were refreshingly different and often more enjoyable than his predecessor
-Hamling was robbed, utterly - he might not have won outright, but to not even place in the top 4?!? The scale of Brad Hill's win surprised me given how badly he tailed off at the end of the season, Neale placed far too high, and for Hamling to only be deemed to have a superior season to Johnson right at the end was ludicrous
-Speaking of - Hamling and Kersten really are thick as thieves. I don't think I saw them more than 2 feet apart from each other every time I caught a glimpse of them all night!
-Everyone was there apart from Balic (and Yarran, obviously). All the delisted players received a warm round of applause, and everyone from Rosich to especially Mundy seemed to go out of their way to point out that they would always be welcome at Freo
-Daggy dancer award would probably go to Brennan Cox, who was certainly busting a move to the post-presentation DJ set

Last edited:
My annual collection of thoughts from Freo's night of nights:

-The new Crown Ballroom is...very, very rectangular. When you sit right up the back, as we self-funded attendees do, it feels a mile away from the stage in comparison to the Grand Ballroom or my personal preferred venue of the Convention Centre. And whoever did the sound mixing has clearly been poached from Domain Stadium, as it was often a real battle to hear what an interviewee was saying!
-Pacing, pacing, pacing! I know things can lengthen out when there is a Con Regan Medal and life memberships to hand out, but there is no excuse for the actual count to not start until 9.46 and those interminable intermissions...
-Nice to see an FFC person in Peter Bell hosting; although personally I thought he was professional but not particularly warm or engaging
-I quite liked Dale Alcock's speech. He's probably not as polished a speaker as Steve Harris was, but his folksy references to what being a Dockers tragic means and "Freo moments" were refreshingly different and often more enjoyable than his predecessor
-Hamling was robbed, utterly - he might not have won outright, but to not even place in the top 4?!? The scale of Brad Hill's win surprised me given how badly he tailed off at the end of the season, Neale placed far too high, and for Hamling to only be deemed to have a superior season to Johnson right at the end was ludicrous
-Speaking of - Hamling and Kersten really are thick as thieves. I don't think I saw them more than 2 feet apart from each other every time I caught a glimpse of them all night!
-Everyone was there apart from Balic (and Yarran, obviously). All the delisted players received a warm round of applause, and everyone from Rosich to especially Mundy seemed to go out of their way to point out that they would always be welcome at Freo
-Daggy dancer award would probably go to Brennan Cox, who was certainly busting a move to the post-presentation DJ set

Worth the ticket price?

Time to re-name this award the Matthew Pavlich medal IMO.

I always hear "Doig" and think of the way kids in high school would use the "Doi!!" sound to infer that someone was stupid. Also, even as an inaugural member, I'm sorry to say I have no idea who it was named in honour of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth the ticket price?

Well, the club did freeze the price at $275 this year - I don't drink alcohol, so I always feel like I'm cross-subsiding everyone else anyway!

It isn't the best value, but I've been going every year since 2006 and I just find it's a nice way to wrap up the footy year, and you normally get some good conversation at the table with fellow Freo tragics. Sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss in that department, so it'd be nice to get another Bigfooty table up and running one day...

Well, the club did freeze the price at $275 this year - I don't drink alcohol, so I always feel like I'm cross-subsiding everyone else anyway!

It isn't the best value, but I've been going every year since 2006 and I just find it's a nice way to wrap up the footy year, and you normally get some good conversation at the table with fellow Freo tragics. Sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss in that department, so it'd be nice to get another Bigfooty table up and running one day...

The alternative was the "LIVE STREAM" and believe me it was no alternative.

No need for sarcasm. Maybe just consider the possibility that when 99.99% of people & evidence (Dangerfield for example) disagree with you there is at least the possibility that your judgement is biased or flawed.
What evidence. I can show you more times him missing targets by foot than you can show me hitting them. Same with Clangerfield. People love them because of their running and metres gained bullshit. Western Bulldogs and Tigers proved that Skill is no longer needed to win premierships in the AFL. Hill winning the best and fairest proved that Freo coaches definitely don't care.

If Shane Kersten can out poll Lachie Weller who played every single game then I really hope Weller can step up majorly next season. Blakely has so hopefully the 2nd amigo can too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back