News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

If the don't pay much attention to the club they will hardly see him as the heart and soul of the club and considered the club split down the middle as a result of him leaving. To be honest we are so irrelevant in Brisbane I'd be surprised if people who don't pay attention even realize he was removed of the captaincy.

I'm really struggling to figure out what point you're trying to make.
  • The club has used Rocky a lot in its publicity over the last five years or so so he's fairly recognizable.
  • He's been one of our best players in that time so he's fairly recognizable.
  • He was a captain in that time so he's fairly recognizable.
Now he's leaving.

It's not a stretch for someone who doesn't sit on BF all the time to link those all together and make a narrative about Brisbane tanking, or not knowing what they're doing, or some other theory that sees them not bother renewing their membership. But as I said, these low information supporters will come back when we start improving again.

• The club has used Rocky a lot in its publicity over the last five years or so so he's fairly recognizable.
Now he's leaving.

It's not a stretch for someone who doesn't sit on BF all the time to link those all together and make a narrative about Brisbane tanking, or not knowing what they're doing, or some other theory that sees them not bother renewing their membership. But as I said, these low information supporters will come back when we start improving again.
Yeah but we are getting Lou Kodge, and he's a LEGEND.

Now he's leaving.

That was my point I was trying to make earlier. While it's probably better for the club to move Rocky on now I doubt the greater supporter base will agree with it. All they will see is that we let Rocky go for pick 19 after we offered him 'chicken feed'. QLD market etc. etc. a lot of fence sitters with us at the moment and this might be considered the final straw after a few poor years. Social media already in melt down from what I read.

Last edited:
Now he's leaving.

I've got to say, I don't see it either. The club membership and game attendances are at a pretty low point. Those who have signed on and attend games are pretty much the 'rusted ons'. Absolutely no doubt that there will be a heap who love Rocky, and as we've seen on this very forum, will be pissed at the club for what they perceive as rough treatment or disloyalty, but I also think their own loyalty is to the team, as opposed to the club or singularly, Rockliff. Maybe a few who take the view that we'll be terrible/er without him will drop off, but that would be such a tiny number, I don't think it would be worthy of discussion in terms of a 'downturn in numbers'.
The other thing to consider, is how this will be reported. After the deal is done, full statements will be made as opposed to the white lies and standard responses that are floating around now that fuel perception. I expect the club will come out afterwards and make a clarifying statement along the lines of "We couldn't quite satisfy Tom's demands, and he felt he could find some more immediate success elsewhere. We're sad to lose him and wish him the best". I can't see a statement coming back the other way saying the club are stingey bastards. What I'm getting at is those who are pissed off are working off false assumptions and without the bigger picture. That bigger picture will be painted by the club, particularly if/when we have more positives to present with Hodge and hopefully Cameron on board. Those who are pissed about Rocky going, will be fairly easily influenced by media and as long as the club gets to set the narrative, those people will soon forgive & forget.

I want to see us draft this guy under the Son/Father rule

View attachment 425441

Would bring some serious heat to the midfield

Not sure how the rules committee would deal with overt telekinesis on field (casual 200m drop punt) or the MRP would classify an opposition player stopping 3 metres away and making choking sounds thus not making the tackle etc ... and is it considered bad form to make anyone who touches you get a light taser effect in return?

Now he's leaving.

Just that I don't believe anybody who is an existing member, coinciding with a time when the club on field performance has been so bad for so long, (therefore it's safe to assume they are not fair weather supporters) will opt out of a future membership just because Rockliff is gone.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just that I don't believe anybody who is an existing member, coinciding with a time when the club on field performance has been so bad for so long, (therefore it's safe to assume they are not fair weather supporters) will opt out of a future membership just because Rockliff is gone.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would like to think with the positivity and energy around the club this year, more than likely the membership numbers will rise anyway. I personally dont think that Rocky leaving will have any significant effect on that.
We all as members of the Lions and fans of the Afl, need to realise that personel changes are exactly what the Afl want and we like all other clubs (ie Adelaide this year after coming 2nd in the comp) are not imune.

Last edited:
Remember the Aka Backers?

According to them it was the end of life as we knew it when the Club pissed him off

Now things did turn pretty shitty from 2007 onwards but not because we let Aka (or Aker) go.

I certainly don't remember a protest drop in attendance the next year. If there was a drop off it was because we were crap as a team.

They were back in force after we made finals in 2009

Remember the Aka Backers?

According to them it was the end of life as we knew it when the Club pissed him off

Now things did turn pretty shitty from 2007 onwards but not because we let Aka (or Aker) go.

I certainly don't remember a protest drop in attendance the next year. If there was a drop off it was because we were crap as a team.

They were back in force after we made finals in 2009

Yeah well the alternative was following the *cough* doggies *retch*

Most of our major CM coverage (once even the front *and* back page) was due to Aker (good and bad) - I am not sure that Rocky leaving or the issues Rocky had with the club last year have quite the same journalistic cachet about them...

My wife is a football Philistine but she knew who Aker and Browny and Vossy and Black were - she knows who Rich and Zorko are but Rockcliff has not penetrated her consciousness for what it is worth...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge being cooked is a massive overstatement. He is old, he is not cooked. He wanted to go on at Hawthorn but knew his time was up and did the team thing. I thought he would play on from the moment he retired, thought Gold Coast on an AFL led expedition though. He is not cooked, he will get best ons for us, fresh start and warmer weather might even invigerate those un-athletic penguin legs, who knows.

Aker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rockliff

....just can't see the same hoohaa with Rockliff leaving as there was with Aker. The club survived, members eventually got over it.

This will be a mere hiccup, nothing mortal.....life will go on quite well without him imo.

Listening last night to SEN and a show with Tony Sheahan (Mike's son)....they were talking about Adelaide's Lever and the B+F etc. A woman rang to say what a class act Hawks are in relation to Mitchell and Hodge leaving but still welcoming them to their B+F..

..anyway, this airhead Sheahan said but what about Clarko saying it was "ripping his guts out".....the woman very politely told him that if you are going to quote something, take in the whole context of what was said, not just pick out a piece to make it sound bad.

She was very good! Pity more people didn't do that with the "journo's/experts"

The lady was a Melbourne supporter..

Listening last night to SEN and a show with Tony Sheahan (Mike's son)....they were talking about Adelaide's Lever and the B+F etc. A woman rang to say what a class act Hawks are in relation to Mitchell and Hodge leaving but still welcoming them to their B+F..

..anyway, this airhead Sheahan said but what about Clarko saying it was "ripping his guts out".....the woman very politely told him that if you are going to quote something, take in the whole context of what was said, not just pick out a piece to make it sound bad.

She was very good! Pity more people didn't do that with the "journo's/experts"

The lady was a Melbourne supporter..
I know where you are coming from MM, but the Hodge/Mitchell leaving the Hawks examples are not even worth comparing to the Jake Lever leaving the Crows situation IMO.

Hodge and Mitchell are 4 time premiership, 300 game players and B&F winners who gave fantastic service to their clubs, Lever has only a few years in the system and is more comparable to our GH5/Aish situations. The Crows seem to have spat the dummy but I do have empathy for their predicament and Lever is certainly more of a demonstrated gun player than any of the GH5/Aish were at the time of departure.

There was a fair bit of dummy spitting on our behalf, I think it has just all got too much for a lot of the Crows faithful and staff after Dangerfield, Davis etc and now Lever, no doubt though they haven't handled it very well.

Not sure how the rules committee would deal with overt telekinesis on field (casual 200m drop punt) or the MRP would classify an opposition player stopping 3 metres away and making choking sounds thus not making the tackle etc ... and is it considered bad form to make anyone who touches you get a light taser effect in return?

Perhaps we could get this guy to be an assistant coach as well:
Yoda_SWSB.jpg
"Play through the corridor you shall"

I know where you are coming from MM, but the Hodge/Mitchell leaving the Hawks examples are not even worth comparing to the Jake Lever leaving the Crows situation IMO.

Hodge and Mitchell are 4 time premiership, 300 game players and B&F winners who gave fantastic service to their clubs, Lever has only a few years in the system and is more comparable to our GH5/Aish situations. The Crows seem to have spat the dummy but I do have empathy for their predicament and Lever is certainly more of a demonstrated gun player than any of the GH5/Aish were at the time of departure.

There was a fair bit of dummy spitting on our behalf, I think it has just all got too much for a lot of the Crows faithful and staff after Dangerfield, Davis etc and now Lever, no doubt though they haven't handled it very well.

I was setting the scene for what my point was......that a woman was pulling up a so called journo for just picking out part of what was said, giving it the wrong connotation and trying to make a bigger deal and story than was there.........Wish there were more people pulling up these guys trying to be sensational..

This Sheahan bloke really gets excited and worked up when he thinks he is on to something....you can hear it in his voice, can't wait to crack the next big story. Doesn't matter if it is only part of the story.

..another example: This lady happened to mention Josh Gibson wasn't there due to falling off his horse, before she could say any more, he was saying we have breaking news right here now....he was like an excited little kid going in to a toy shop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back