Faster, Higher, Stronger, whats the next evolution after Dogs/Tigers revivals

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger levels of pressure were very good, but no more so than us in 2010-2012 and Hawthorn proved that they could counteract our game with their skill-based game.

Do you think there is a side going round at the moment that can get it done?

I said it works if you have the cattle.

It's Melbournes turn I think for the VFL fairytale..Mcg is their home deck right chaps??
tenor.gif

First thing to watch for is if big blokes, ruck/forward style players, have lost some currency in trade week/drafts.

Dan Rioli rucking against Sauce was one of my favourite parts of the GF...we've seen recent rule changes to try to stop ruckmen becoming an endangered species.

if the Richmond game style is copied, ruckmen become critically endangered...

I actually think reducing rotations further will just increase this kind of play. The best football players aren't always the fittest/have the most aerobic capacity, and can't get away into space. You'll see more aerobic beasts like Blicavs who don't really do much more to shut down the football players if rotations keep getting pushed down.

I disagree with that, I think the athletic types will become extinct because if the AFL reduce the interchange it means the star players won't get the 5 minute breather on the bench and they will have to rest behind or in front the ball, which will naturally spread the players out. So recruiters will go out and draft natural footballers (Sam Mitchell types) with good skills when players legs get tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing to watch for is if big blokes, ruck/forward style players, have lost some currency in trade week/drafts.

Dan Rioli rucking against Sauce was one of my favourite parts of the GF...we've seen recent rule changes to try to stop ruckmen becoming an endangered species.

if the Richmond game style is copied, ruckmen become critically endangered...

I don't think Richmond have killed the second ruck/forward at all. If Richmond had a second mobile tall forward capable of filling that role they would have played them.

Richmond have just proven that you're better of playing an extra small when the alternatives are spuds like Elton and Soldo.

Next evolution should be to collapse 18 teams into 12, get rid of the bottom 33% of VFL standard spuds getting a run, and watch some quality footy where everyone plays twice and the top teams battle out an interesting finals series. Sounds radical, I know.

Following will not be missed:

Gold Coast
GWS
Port
Freo
Bears
Essendon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Richmond have killed the second ruck/forward at all. If Richmond had a second mobile tall forward capable of filling that role they would have played them.

Richmond have just proven that you're better of playing an extra small when the alternatives are spuds like Elton and Soldo.
Fair call, wasn't as though we were leaving out a Ryder-level Ruck/fwd, though hammer and griff were fit by the end of the year.

But even Nank is more a small ruck/mid...since it's so hard to find dominant rucks and KPFs, and if u can adopt a style so u don't need them, I think clubs will try.

Next evolution should be to collapse 18 teams into 12, get rid of the bottom 33% of VFL standard spuds getting a run, and watch some quality footy where everyone plays twice and the top teams battle out an interesting finals series. Sounds radical, I know.

Following will not be missed:

Gold Coast
GWS
Port
Freo
Bears
Essendon
??? Disband Essendon, Port and Freo?? Hmmmm

I am actually not sure? Did you? You're talking as a direct opponent against Hawthorn in the Home and away season right?
Yes. The assertion was our group wasn't up to the level of Hawthorn, but head-to-head that may be false.

Yes. The assertion was our group wasn't up to the level of Hawthorn, but head-to-head that may be false.
Yes I know, but head to head games can't be measured to seriously when you're comparing that to an entire season including finals where Hawthorn had a comprehensive record including premiership wins.

Some sides just match up well against others. Nothing more than that.

Yes I know, but head to head games can't be measured to seriously when you're comparing that to an entire season including finals where Hawthorn had a comprehensive record including premiership wins.

Some sides just match up well against others. Nothing more than that.
If you have to add a heap of caveats then your assertion is wrong, isn't it? This was your quote:
Hawthorn between 2012-2016 not only applied unrelenting pressure, but they were absolutely deadly accurate with their skills. No weak links. The WB and Richmond were light years away skill wise.
Since 2012 we're 4-3 against Hawthorn, 3-1 if you only count the years they played a GF.
upload_2017-10-8_8-32-3.png

So clearly there were weak links and clearly our skills must have been better than theirs or we wouldn't have won.

If you have to add a heap of caveats then your assertion is wrong, isn't it? This was your quote:

Since 2012 we're 4-3 against Hawthorn, 3-1 if you only count the years they played a GF.
View attachment 425794

So clearly there were weak links and clearly our skills must have been better than theirs or we wouldn't have won.
They won 3 flags in a row. Who gives a * about home and away matches. There weren't any weak links when it mattered on GF day. When you've gone back to back, we can start to open discussions about potential comparisons with Hawthorn.

View attachment 425794

If you're going to get sensitive because I am not prepared to compare you with Hswthorn of 13-15 then you need to reassess your priorities. You've just won a GF. Enjoy it.

They won 3 flags in a row. Who gives a **** about home and away matches. There weren't any weak links when it mattered on GF day. When you've gone back to back, we can start to open discussions about potential comparisons with Hawthorn.
Apparently lots of people care about home and away matches. Weren't Adelaide the best team all year? Where were our weak links when it mattered on GF day? You can't point to our flaws from home and away as a reason for us being a poor side, then say home and away doesn't matter.
If you're going to get sensitive because I am not prepared to compare you with Hswthorn of 13-15 then you need to reassess your priorities. You've just won a GF. Enjoy it.
Just pointing out fallacies in your argument, no need to get upset. If your argument stood up to rigour then I wouldn't need to question you on it.

I am enjoying our win immensely, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to engage in discussion. Very childish response.

Apparently lots of people care about home and away matches. Weren't Adelaide the best team all year? Where were our weak links when it mattered on GF day? You can't point to our flaws from home and away as a reason for us being a poor side, then say home and away doesn't matter.

Just pointing out fallacies in your argument, no need to get upset. If your argument stood up to rigour then I wouldn't need to question you on it.

I am enjoying our win immensely, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to engage in discussion. Very childish response.
Mate, I said that Richmond and the WB weren't as highly skilled as Hawthorn were. They are still great in that area, but Hawthorn were next level. You seemed to think that home and away stats in which Richmond rolled Hawthorn a few times were relevant.

You didn't have any weak links at all come finals, you were great. You bring a great pressure game with intensity and fitness. But I am sorry, Hawthorn had skills close to being unrivalled between 13-15.

Mate, I said that Richmond and the WB weren't as highly skilled as Hawthorn were. They are still great in that area, but Hawthorn were next level. You seemed to think that home and away stats in which Richmond rolled Hawthorn a few times were relevant.

You didn't have any weak links at all come finals, you were great. You bring a great pressure game with intensity and fitness. But I am sorry, Hawthorn had skills close to being unrivalled between 13-15.
Except they were.

You have a lovely unsubstantiated and incorrect opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back