Tyrone Vickery's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

Vickery had some talent, particularly his set shot kicking, but he never wanted it badly enough.Top level football is not his game.

In the off season he should go into Clarko office and negotiate some sort of settlement. Go become a lawyer, or what ever it he was studying at uni.
Think he was the janitor.

To be honest I am not sure we would have won the premiership if he was still on the list. We would have been tempted to keep persisting with two talls and if he played he would have undermined the pressure game we built. His trade was one of the key things that went right last off season.

I don't think he would regret his decision at all. He wouldn't have got a game at Richmond this year for the same reason he did at Hawthorn- lack of second efforts, and ability to defend.

He will take his million dollars and Hawthorn will delist him at the end of 2018. That amendment to his contract that saw him get 2 years over three to stop Richmond from matching has worked out well for them now.

Didn't receive a vote in six games at the Hawthorn b&f. 2016-17 are his worst polling years.
He will take his million dollars and Hawthorn will delist him at the end of 2018. That amendment to his contract that saw him get 2 years over three to stop Richmond from matching has worked out well for them now.

Think Hawthorn was doing us a favour by pushing his price up to the next bracket to qualify for second round compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve seen Deledio have plenty 3 goal 30 possession game. Will be remembered as a Tigers great 20-30 years down the track

If you ask me or 80% of Tigers supporters I’m sure Deledio would be rated above Jack Graham or Townsend. You have to agree?

Not an easy comparison to make, I think.

Those guys are young and I think we're yet to see their best. Lids is at a stage where his ceiling isn't determined by his talent or his desire, but on his body.

Putting aside injuries, I'm inclined to think Lids is better than Graham or Townsend at this stage of their careers but who knows how they will compare with Lids after they've played a few years. If Lids was still at Richmond and fit, I'd be inclined to see him as best 22 -- but there might be others who would make way for him rather than Graham or Townsend. For me, I think Broad or Mackintosh goes out before Graham or Townsend.

Not an easy comparison to make, I think.

Those guys are young and I think we're yet to see their best. Lids is at a stage where his ceiling isn't determined by his talent or his desire, but on his body.

Putting aside injuries, I'm inclined to think Lids is better than Graham or Townsend at this stage of their careers but who knows how they will compare with Lids after they've played a few years. If Lids was still at Richmond and fit, I'd be inclined to see him as best 22 -- but there might be others who would make way for him rather than Graham or Townsend. For me, I think Broad or Mackintosh goes out before Graham or Townsend.

Graham could go on to win 3 premierships with Richmond and be a great club man, who knows? He’ll be remembered as better than Deledio.

If Broad becomes a solid, reliable defender who stands up in big finals for the next 5 years, he’ll be remembered as better than Deledio too.

Townsend completely negated Lever and then killed Adelaide’s best player in a Grand Final before kicking 2 goals for us to win the premiership. If he settles into the team next year and contributes to more premierships, absolutely he gets remembered as better than Deledio.

Deledio was a great individual player, but his legacy will always be tarnished by the fact he left us when things got too tough for him.

He didn’t believe, he didn’t lead us to a premiership. Negative influence.

If there’s 1 thing I’ve learnt this year, it’s that a superior culture and team spirit will beat physical traits and silky skills every time.

Excellent culture > negative skilful individuals

Graham could go on to win 3 premierships with Richmond and be a great club man, who knows? He’ll be remembered as better than Deledio.

If Broad becomes a solid, reliable defender who stands up in big finals for the next 5 years, he’ll be remembered as better than Deledio too.

Townsend completely negated Lever and then killed Adelaide’s best player in a Grand Final before kicking 2 goals for us to win the premiership. If he settles into the team next year and contributes to more premierships, absolutely he gets remembered as better than Deledio.

Deledio was a great individual player, but his legacy will always be tarnished by the fact he left us when things got too tough for him.

If there’s 1 thing I’ve learnt this year, it’s that a superior culture and team spirit will beat physical traits and silky skills every time.

WTF? Why tip the bucket on a bloke who for many years was your only shining light? Richmond did the right thing moving him on, his body hasn't held up in recent years, but there is no way to my thinking that if he was still on the list this year, that you wouldn't have won the flag because of it, and that he would have been out there if fit.

WTF? Why tip the bucket on a bloke who for many years was your only shining light? Richmond did the right thing moving him on, his body hasn't held up in recent years, but there is no way to my thinking that if he was still on the list this year, that you wouldn't have won the flag because of it, and that he would have been out there if fit.

Loved him when he was here, and will remember him fondly. Best kick I’ve ever seen.

But this time last year all the talk was that he became a negative influence and was part of the problem. Apparently wanted Cotchin’s captaincy for himself.

It was rumoured that he texted his closest mates after the flag, but didn’t even text Cotchin after the premiership win, which is not very man of him. Just think he doesn’t have the emotional maturity to lead a club to a premiership, so despite being a pleasure to watch him play, the rumours suggest it’s much better for the club to have removed him from our environment... almost instantly our culture felt like a different place and we won the premiership and stood up in huge finals without him as our vice captain.

This is why I find the contrast really difficult.

On the one hand you've got a guy (Delido) who's had a pretty decent career but who some are suggesting isn't the best team man (personally, I don't know if these claims are fair or not so I don't know what to do with them) and who certainly lives under an injury cloud. On the other hand, you've got a group of young guys who are full of potential.

My estimation really disregards claims that Delidio lacks a team first attitude for the simple reason that I just don't know if these claims are fair or not. Certainly I never heard anybody from Punt Rd. suggest there is a problem, but that doesn't mean the claims aren't right -- I'd hardly expect any sort of official statement on the matter after all!

So that said, for me it could easily go either way, but I do think a fit Delidio would still be in Richmond's best 22. The only reason I brought Broad into it was because, for me, I think Delidio would bump him before Graham or Townsend. It would, however, depend very much on other player's form.

Perhaps the most negative thing I'll say about Delidio at this point is that his departure certainly hasn't hurt. He might be a tremendously skillful footballer, but whatever it is that Richmond has found this year, it's more than compensated for the loss of Delidio's skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back