List Mgmt. Trade Away Our 2018 1st Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on 12 and 18 for 5? The draft points are in your favour by about 400 there. Pretty sure that would get you Allen and Naughton.
The first question should simply be would we take Naughton and Allen with 5 if we could, or would we prefer another option, such as using that pick. I would probably grab those boys. But if we did that trade we would be pressured to use 18 for Wilson, leaving us with Naughton: good prospect, most likely a defender.

If we are using 5 to get Wilson I would be hoping GWS can get us more than 12, even if it is later unwanted picks. Ideally, the Wilson trade is done early and doesn’t involve 5.

I also can see Adelaide wanting 5 to replace Lever with Fogarty, and upgrading pick 9 to get him (9 and 16 or 26). Many assumptions there but they must be frustrated.

Again on Adelaide. If there is some kind of deal with next Year’s pick, they could be motivated after the Lever situation. A couple of South Australian players going to go early. Plus Adelaide could slide.

Could we swap next years first for pick 9 this year and their first round 2018? Could there be a deal that gets them pick 5 plus our next years first? I just think they will be highly motivated to get the best South Australian players, and we stand in their way.

OUT: 5/2017, + 1st round 2018.

IN: 9, 16, 26/2017, + 1st round 2018.

Looking back on McPharlin's career you would give up picks 20 and 36 for him in a heartbeat.
Then #1 for Croad was a mistake, he was mishandled just like a lot of the club back then. We then traded him back for pick 10.

So we gave up pick 1, 20 and 36 for McPharlin, pick 10 and 2 years rental of Trent Croad.

The Hawks used 2 of their 3 picks wisely. They wasted the %^*@ of of pick 20. Would we have picked Hodge? If we picked Luke he would have been done by then, if we had picked Judd he would have left us for Victoria by then. Plus we wasted pick 10 on Ryley Dunn.

Our drafting has been pretty good over the last few years, and if we are going the extreme case situation I'll throw one in too. Remember we got Fyfe at pick 20. Imagine getting a gun with our pick 5, then 2 more Nat Fyfe's!!!!! What a team we would have.
Croad became an AA after we trade him back, and a premiership player. He was already one of the most exciting young KPPs in the game. I think he was worth what we paid for him, but it did not work out.

Croad became an AA after we trade him back, and a premiership player. He was already one of the most exciting young KPPs in the game. I think he was worth what we paid for him, but it did not work out.
Classic example of picking a player with partner from Victoria.

The player is on the road too much and the partner struggles with no support structures.

The club is now on the right track only targeting WA players with WA partners and under 25.

The trade would have worked if Croad was from WA.

Classic example of picking a player with partner from Victoria.

The player is on the road too much and the partner struggles with no support structures.

The club is now on the right track only targeting WA players with WA partners and under 25.

The trade would have worked if Croad was from WA.
Definitely a better strategy.

There is talk at the moment about Watts moving interstate. He would be doing that as a somewhat "damaged" player, which is also not unlike where Croad was at, although Watt's more extreme. But let's say Watts steps up. The Vic clubs will come hard at him you would think. Tough situation. Having said that Sydney has been a good home for damaged players.

I think we've shown some enterprise when it comes to drafting/trading over the last few years. I would presume that they have a minimum ideal with pick 5 - and all trading/drafting options will be measured against it, ie if we get better for various reasons via trading players and/or picks then the club won't hesitate.

I think we've shown some enterprise when it comes to drafting/trading over the last few years. I would presume that they have a minimum ideal with pick 5 - and all trading/drafting options will be measured against it, ie if we get better for various reasons via trading players and/or picks then the club won't hesitate.

Astute post :thumbsu:

Supposed experts claim next year as a super draft....whatever that means. Super players out to 10? A deep draft with quality out to 50 to 60? No lists have been posted for comparison with this years. This years 2017 draft while not throwing up 2 or 3 super talents, nevertheless 2017 draft is a beauty for depth and spread of talent especially 1-15 and 15 to 50. Sayings: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!.....open your eyes and see what's staring you in the face!

Astute post :thumbsu:

Supposed experts claim next year as a super draft....whatever that means. Super players out to 10? A deep draft with quality out to 50 to 60? No lists have been posted for comparison with this years. This years 2017 draft while not throwing up 2 or 3 super talents, nevertheless 2017 draft is a beauty for depth and spread of talent especially 1-15 and 15 to 50. Sayings: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!.....open your eyes and see what's staring you in the face!
If we could be offered 2018 pick 5 for this year's, do you think we should take it?

I would actually like us to use a top 5 pick for once.

No deal

73a4c5544747b77bad897d9cde6a854b.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 for 5 you funny guy.

or 5 for whatever we get as first next year definately no (it will be 9-10)

apologies - what I should have added is that no one has actually explained in detail using comparisons why this year is ordinary and next years is super....i really dont agree with this at all on my research.

We'll be playing finals which is why I wouldn't mind skipping next years 1st Round to secure one of Naughton/Allen this year on top of Pick 5.

5 for 5 you funny guy.

or 5 for whatever we get as first next year definately no (it will be 9-10)
That’s actually not the point of my comment. Next years top 5 reportedly contains KPFs of a high calibre. As well as that there is the prospect of Hill and O’Reilly pressing into the top 10, as well as other West Australians.

apologies - what I should have added is that no one has actually explained in detail using comparisons why this year is ordinary and next years is super....i really dont agree with this at all on my research.

Yes i realise where you were coming from. its just that it would be good to look at two lists of fifty for comparison with a summary. Brander for example until recently was said to be top 5. Probably be 10-15. O'Reilly may be top 10 next year but unlikely if the mids are very very good in which case ithe draft would have depth. If next years has more big quality forwards/rucks etc then i'd say thats worthwhile to keep in mind re picks. But no one's coming up with a decent comparison other than bits and pieces. Bit of a "Thomas" I am, need to see to believe.

Yes i realise where you were coming from. its just that it would be good to look at two lists of fifty for comparison with a summary. Brander for example until recently was said to be top 5. Probably be 10-15. O'Reilly may be top 10 next year but unlikely if the mids are very very good in which case ithe draft would have depth. If next years has more big quality forwards/rucks etc then i'd say thats worthwhile to keep in mind re picks. But no one's coming up with a decent comparison other than bits and pieces. Bit of a "Thomas" I am, need to see to believe.
Youre asking for a comparison list of current draftees vs guys 1 year younger. Not apples for apples.

Only way to compare is to look 12 months back at how this crop was rated in mix and depth compared to next year's crop here and now. The top end (first 10) seems to be where the assertion that next year is a bumper draft - with specific excitement over the top couple. This time last year Charlie Spargo and Sam Hayes were rated as the next big things - but not the same buzz as Lukosius (in a final against men) and not the buzz for WA talent in a while either.

In any case, if you want to compare lists, do your own research instead of asking others to do it for you ;)

Last edited:
Youre asking for a comparison list of current draftees vs guys 1 year younger. Not apples for apples.

Only way to compare is to look 12 months back at how this crop was rated in mix and depth compared to next year's crop here and now. The top end (first 10) seems to be where the assertion that next year is a bumper draft - with specific excitement over the top couple. This time last year Charlie Spargo and Sam Hayes were rated as the next big things - but not the same buzz as Lukosius (in a final against men) and not the buzz for WA talent in a while either.

In any case, if you want to compare lists, do your own research instead of asking others to do it for you ;)

I'd dispute that it was just Hayes and Spargo - Darcy Fogarty was also considered a very big last year with him already playing at SANFL level, and came with the same level as hype as Lukosias. Brander was also identified as bring exciting having played really well underage in the All Stars game as a very mobile CHF, although there was dampeners on him being GWS academy like Spargo. O'Brien was highly touted as potential no. 1 with his silky skills and pace. There was heaps of noise about this being a great year for Talls with Balta (In Knightmare's words) potentially the next Lance Franklin, some also rating Naughton, Taylor, DeKoning and Kriger as potential top 15.

So no evidence and no clarification. You too are unable to explain with any detail what is meant by super draft and give evidence to support that proposition. That's fine, it is not so easy to provide. A few football media personalities got this started (people jumping onto it and not asking the question) and gave little explanation of what was meant nor substantial evidence. Wallace, for example, did not say the top ten has a group of exceptional forwards but that next years group of top players goes out to about 10 as compared to this years 5-6. My research acknowledges that but that this years draft is equally deep if not more so without having more super players at the top. There are a few more forwards in next years too. Cheers- lets put it to bed.

So no evidence and no clarification. You too are unable to explain with any detail what is meant by super draft and give evidence to support that proposition. That's fine, it is not so easy to provide. A few football media personalities got this started (people jumping onto it and not asking the question) and gave little explanation of what was meant nor substantial evidence. Wallace, for example, did not say the top ten has a group of exceptional forwards but that next years group of top players goes out to about 10 as compared to this years 5-6. My research acknowledges that but that this years draft is equally deep if not more so without having more super players at the top. There are a few more forwards in next years too. Cheers- lets put it to bed.
I have a gut feel that next years draft will be stronger (at least for us) because if you followed the u18 state leagues (WAFL Colts, SANFL, TAC etc) there were often a lot of bottom agers out performing the draftees from this year.

WAFL Colts GF for instance highlighted East Fremantle, full of some quality bottom agers easily getting over the top of Claremont and making Patmore, England and co look pretty ordinary in comparison. And if you look at the other WAFL Colts sides, often their best players were bottom agers - more often than usual imo. I don't follow the other state leagues as closely but I get the feeling that trend might be the same in SA.

Plenty are also saying the TAC has a weak draft haul this year and it will be stronger next year - I'm not sure that is true though when 14 or so of the top 25 prospects are from Vic Metro in the upcoming draft, and Vic Country has another 5 on top of that (only 2 from WA and 1 from SA seems ridiculously low).

The Lyon Roars

The further out from a draft, the more speculative it is regarding analysis. That was the point of my post. You're never going to get your two lists for comparison with a summary. By the time the bottom agers get to draft, things change as in the case of Charlie Spargo and Sam Hayes in my example.

The best any of us will get are indicators from scouts who watch underage games, the % of bottom agers playing in the representative teams, and best guess spit-balling from guys who do this for a living. It's all qualitative. But hey - if experts say it's a superdraft next year compared to this - maybe it will be. There's no way to prove it until we get the benefit of hindsight - the rest of us are just sheep until then :p

When did the AFL announce a top 12 finals system?

Ye of little faith :p

May I point out how Cam McCarthy is Jesus and is our Pav replacement. Nathan Wilson will be a cross between peak Shannon Hurn and Stephen Hill. Brandon Matera will have the pressure of Mayne, the kicking of Walters, the speed of Ballas, and won't fall over. The premiership is ours to lose next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back