Player Watch Ben Sinclair (Retired 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you aware there is serious concerns about Sinclair's long term health due to multiple concussions? Did you hear about that? Or is that finished now because he hasn't had one on the side lines?

He missed 2017 with a hamstring, not concussion. I'm sure hes getting better medical advice re concussion than what he will get reading your posts.

Given we havent heard anything to the contrary at this late stage its fair to assume he will stay senior listed. And good luck to him, hes had a rough trot.

Not sure about rookie listing though. Perhaps Sier is a better option should we choose to go down that path.

So far on the rookie list we have promoted two players (Cox and Thomas) and we will retain Schade McCarthy Lynch and Kirby. Mackie might not survive. We could just as easily replace those three positions in the draft rather than top up with demoted players from the senior list

Kirby is senior listed.

Given we havent heard anything to the contrary at this late stage its fair to assume he will stay senior listed. And good luck to him, hes had a rough trot.

Not sure about rookie listing though. Perhaps Sier is a better option should we choose to go down that path.

So far on the rookie list we have promoted two players (Cox and Thomas) and we will retain Schade McCarthy Lynch and Kirby. Mackie might not survive. We could just as easily replace those three positions in the draft rather than top up with demoted players from the senior list
Kirby was a national draft selection. He is not a rookie

Will get a new contract, can make a real difference if he can get fit. Could either solve our small defender or quick small forward problem.

Rookie list is a possibility if health concerns are not behind him.

No just no. The only reason he was shifted down back was because he was an abject failure up forward.

Early career, he still has all the makings of a good crumbed. Wouldn't be the worst we could do.
That’s because he is quick and has elite hands. His kicking, on the other hand...

Early career, he still has all the makings of a good crumbed. Wouldn't be the worst we could do.

We need to aim higher than it not being the worst we could do, IMO. It probably would be a better outcome to have either of Kirby or daicos rolling through there next year with maybe a Miers added in the draft.

Overall I'm a fan if he can get back, but he's a lot better with the game unfolding in front of him because it allows him to use his straight line speed and weigh his ball use better.

We need to aim higher than it not being the worst we could do, IMO. It probably would be a better outcome to have either of Kirby or daicos rolling through there next year with maybe a Miers added in the draft.

Overall I'm a fan if he can get back, but he's a lot better with the game unfolding in front of him because it allows him to use his straight line speed and weigh his ball use better.
Some blokes have a nous for goal, others don’t. Sinkers clearly showed in his early career he doesn’t have it.

If Sincliar can get and stay on the field, it has to be down back. His play is so much better there, the only problem is it’s a big if.

If Sincliar can get and stay on the field, it has to be down back. His play is so much better there, the only problem is it’s a big if.
Just over 50 games in 7 or 8 years he is a classic list clogger. Consistency is the name of the game and he like many on our list cannot get on the park enough and has done the same across many years. I doubt very much any other club would touch him.

No just no. The only reason he was shifted down back was because he was an abject failure up forward.
Understand what you're saying but disagree. He was a failure due to poor kicking. In terms of finding the space and winning the ball, he was very dangerous.

I think his kicking has improved out of sight since and, much like Reid, he'd now be a valuable forward. If he was ever fit we probably still need him down back though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand what you're saying but disagree. He was a failure due to poor kicking. In terms of finding the space and winning the ball, he was very dangerous.

I think his kicking has improved out of sight since and, much like Reid, he'd now be a valuable forward. If he was ever fit we probably still need him down back though.
His kicking has improved becuase the game unfolds in front of him.

It's improved out of sight because he's now in defence and receives under less pressure. It won't work for him in our forward group and we have better options.

His kicking has improved becuase the game unfolds in front of him.

Exactly. He's no good when he's the man that needs to be creative with both rear and frontal pressure. In the back half once he beats the man in front of him he's set. Like Heater he's a guy that struggles when the pressure is 360 degree, but relishes on distributing without the need to pinpoint.

I'm really pissed he's been injured so often JUST has he was really establishing himself as a quality small defender.

I'd argue missing him this year cost us finals. We just didn't have anyone for the Betts, Cameron, Rioli, Gray, Wingard etc.

I'm really pissed he's been injured so often JUST has he was really establishing himself as a quality small defender.

I'd argue missing him this year cost us finals. We just didn't have anyone for the Betts, Cameron, Rioli, Gray, Wingard etc.

You had the like from me until this sentence. There's no one player on our list capable of having a 4 win impact on our season especially one that's missed as much footy as Sinner.

You had the like from me until this sentence. There's no one player on our list capable of having a 4 win impact on our season especially one that's missed as much footy as Sinner.

You don't think we make finals if Sinclair had played every game this season?

I'd argue that Sinclair probably tips the scales in our favour against Melbourne, GWS and Adelaide. Those 3 wins put us in the 8 as our percentage is decent. Obviously if you add Wells and Varcoe to that list of players we needed all year and it's a sure thing.

I'd argue that Sinclair probably tips the scales in our favour against Melbourne, GWS and Adelaide. Those 3 wins put us in the 8 as our percentage is decent. Obviously if you add Wells and Varcoe to that list of players we needed all year and it's a sure thing.

I think you just answered your own question. We missed Wells and Varcoe a lot more than we missed Sinclair.

No.

The combination of Varcoe, Wells and Sinner playing the season out probably wouldn't have been enough to get us there.

Our issues weren't personnel in 2017 it was game style, development, leadership and coaching. We've taken steps to fix those so we'll improve in 2018 so long as the coach embraces it.

No.

The combination of Varcoe, Wells and Sinner playing the season out probably wouldn't have been enough to get us there.

Our issues weren't personnel in 2017 it was game style, development, leadership and coaching. We've taken steps to fix those so we'll improve in 2018 so long as the coach embraces it.

Given the margins of our losses it doenst take a complete engine rebuild to assume a different outcome .

22 games from Wells would have helped a lot. Sinclair far less so. That said every team gets injuries and thinking about coulda shouldas if we have had a full list all year are a bit fanciful. We had a pretty reasonable injury run if 2017 with only Sinkers a complete write off.

Given the margins of our losses it doenst take a complete engine rebuild to assume a different outcome .

22 games from Wells would have helped a lot. Sinclair far less so. That said every team gets injuries and thinking about coulda shouldas if we have had a full list all year are a bit fanciful. We had a pretty reasonable injury run if 2017 with only Sinkers a complete write off.

That's why I'm suggesting a tune up not a rebuild...

I think you just answered your own question. We missed Wells and Varcoe a lot more than we missed Sinclair.

For me personlly, I'd argue we missed having an actual small defender a lot more than a couple of mids/half backs.

In a season where the premier bucked the forward line trend by going almost exclusively small, a team we only lost to by 3 goals, I'd wager Sinclair was arguably our biggest loss this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back