News Charlie and the Lions Factory - the Everlasting Charlie Cameron Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who doesn't want us to trade a top 20 pick for Cameron? I think we'd be better off taking that pick to the draft. Cameron is a bit overrated IMO, he plays in the best forward line in the competition, Betts and Walker get most of the attention from defenders which gives him a bit more freedom. Throw him into the worst forward line in the comp (us) and he will have significantly less impact. He would be a handy player for a pick in the 25-30 range but a top 20 pick is a bit of a stretch in my opinion... not overly convinced by him.

It will certainly be an interesting one to watch. I'm really hoping 18 or 19 doesn't get used to get him, but I might be in the minority with that opinion. Do we all get a little carried away when a player actually wants to come to us for once and overate their actual worth? If he said he wanted to go to Melbourne & nominated Essendon, do you think that they'd pay pick 19 for him? I doubt it, and no one would blink an eye.

We're definitely up there with the worst.

I thought I read somewhere that we were pretty highly rated in the forward line as in when we actually get it in there we have an above average scoring potential?

Our defenders do a mountain of work and our forwards are pretty efficient which leaves us with a midfield that needs a lot of work which coincidently is the same area our club has identified and made a focus on for the next couple of drafts.

One area we do seem to lack is that the times when it goes forward and *doesn't* score we such at keeping it in there ... which I believe is one of Mr Cameron's specialities.

What is he work pick wise - wouldn't have the faintest so can't speak to that but for the right price he is certainly no Frost and seems to meet a team need.

Zorko plays midfield. Christensen and Robinson can hardly get on the park lately. The rest of our forward line is young and inconsistent. Lets be real here
I cant access the stats at the moment but I reckon we were in the top third of the comp for scores per inside 50.
We just need to get it in there more often.

Zorko plays midfield. Christensen and Robinson can hardly get on the park lately. The rest of our forward line is young and inconsistent. Lets be real here

So I SHOULDNT include two players who will be walk up starts round 1?

Swap Zorko out for Taylor then if you want, and it is still pretty potent.

If you want to be real, the forward line was one area we actually did quite well in last season, in particular the second half. We were one of the best scoring teams in the comp to be precise and that is without Bundy, Robbo and Cameron who will be there next year.

+ Ballenden and it's potentially the best forward line in a few years
Agree. Our forward line has potential to be great in a few years. When Hipwood and Schache can start dominating games and get some consistency it will improve our team immensely.

If you want to be real, the forward line was one area we actually did quite well in last season, in particular the second half. We were one of the best scoring teams in the comp to be precise and that is without Bundy, Robbo and Cameron who will be there next year.
Forward efficiency stats don't directly correlate to our forwards. It's a full team contribution with quick quick ball movement from defence, forward press, ect.
A large amount of scores this year were kicked from mids who pushed forward.

Last edited:
I know that we shouldn't place the emphasis on one game, but his preliminary final sure did rise his stocks. Tbh, probably changed my perception a bit as I really value players that can step up in big games. Before the finals series, I was in the camp for a 3rd rounder for him. Now I think I'd be comfortable with 19. The fact that he is contracted places this as fair value IMO.

IMO, Charlie will be value to us at 19. He only started playing Aussie rules in 2012 - is still learning the game. IMO the prelim was a taste of things to come for Charlie, and at career's end will be seen as a bargain for that pick.

Also, I feel it will be good for both him and Cedric to be together in the same team - both with an indigenous outback WA history.

Did you know he will be the second Charlie Cameron to transfer to, and play for, the mighty Lions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cameron_(footballer,_born_1907)

With Mitch Robbo's wife who is from that same region..

Don't have a problem giving them pick 18/19 for him. Contracted so is paying overs as he would normally be pick in the 20's. It's a weak draft this year so pick 18/19 is probably not going to net us a great player in comparison to next years draft. He will also help our team immensly next year: A huge problem of ours is not being able to keep it in our f50. Cameron, Robinson (could also be a midfielder), Taylor and Christensen is a great mosquito fleet with good defensive/offensive capabilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of Richmonds great dtrengths this year was the repeat inside 50.They might not score first time but the opposition could only scramble it out.It comes straight back before the defence is reset.If Cameron can help us do that he is well worth pick 19.In any event on admittedly limited viewing he is still putting all the bits of his game together.If they do coalesce he is a steal at 19.

He's a Geelong supporter so while I don't think he's a fan of ours (literally) I do think he has a sense of balance and fair play, Unlike some other media w@nkers who try to pass themselves off as "experts"

Remember him commentating the Grand Final and he sounded rapt with the Lions winning "back to back to back". Either way he's a breath of fresh air in a world where most of the commentators are biased flogs

Charlie just needs to settle before delivering the footy. He tries to kick when still going flat chat. Leigh made comment on this late in the season. Richmond have amply demonstrated what you can do with manic forward line pressure. I hope we bring it in spades next year.

Remember him commentating the Grand Final and he sounded rapt with the Lions winning "back to back to back". Either way he's a breath of fresh air in a world where most of the commentators are biased flogs

Yep. And despite him being a Geelong supporter, when he commentated for "Miracle on Grass", he managed to sound the most excited of the lot, despite it was his team losing.

One of the best commentators going around.

Yep. And despite him being a Geelong supporter, when he commentated for "Miracle on Grass", he managed to sound the most excited of the lot, despite it was his team losing.

One of the best commentators going around.

By far my favorite commentator. Would love him to do all Lions games. I remember him doing our grand finals, loved him then still do now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought you were right having zorko in the forward line.:thumbsu:

By far my favorite commentator. Would love him to do all Lions games. I remember him doing our grand finals, loved him then still do now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would give my left nut to never ever hear Dwayne Russell call a lions game ever again.

Actually you can throw in the entire channel seven commentary team also.

I would give my left nut to never ever hear Dwayne Russell call a lions game ever again.

Actually you can throw in the entire channel seven commentary team also.

Seven are awful all round with their AFL coverage. Although Bruce is so bad he's entertaining. Miss the old 10/9 commentary teams 2002-2006.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back