2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Crows have their eyes on high 2018 picks. There will be some very highly rated Sth Australians on offer.
Doesn't mean you get one, if a team has currency to do a deal they usually dont go for a future pick. We have plenty of ability to pay fair value without compromising next years holdings

Doesn't mean you get one, if a team has currency to do a deal they usually dont go for a future pick. We have plenty of ability to pay fair value without compromising next years holdings
They have their eyes on Melbourne's 2018 first rounder apparently and may get it.

They have their eyes on Melbourne's 2018 first rounder apparently and may get it.
Yep cos melb are trading for a 800k a year player. Pick 10 & 27 wasn't going to get it done

We don't have that problem, got plenty of scenarios to come up with fair trade

Not trolling you guys, would just love to get your thoughts on somebody like zorko. He's contracted for a few more years and is probably reasonably happy at Brisbane. do you realistically see him as being part of the next flag tilt? You guys have some very good young talent. as is evidenced by GWS it takes more than talent to win a flag. I would give your core group of talented players 4-5 years still.

Perhaps I'm missing the point but I'd imagine that seeing as zorko won't be best 22 anymore (very likely retired) getting maximum value for him in his prime could really help in 5 years time. I'd imagine teams that are currently contending would pay through the nose for him.

I guess one of the main issues is team stability. Now that rocky is gone you will need senior players on the park still.

Not trolling you guys, would just love to get your thoughts on somebody like zorko. He's contracted for a few more years and is probably reasonably happy at Brisbane. do you realistically see him as being part of the next flag tilt? You guys have some very good young talent. as is evidenced by GWS it takes more than talent to win a flag. I would give your core group of talented players 4-5 years still.

Perhaps I'm missing the point but I'd imagine that seeing as zorko won't be best 22 anymore (very likely retired) getting maximum value for him in his prime could really help in 5 years time. I'd imagine teams that are currently contending would pay through the nose for him.

I guess one of the main issues is team stability. Now that rocky is gone you will need senior players on the park still.
Zorko is going nowhere.

Speaking of people who are the heart and soul of the club ...

Either troll, or thick.
I'm probably thick then. Makes sense to me. You need senior players to be around and guide the youth. However if you got 2 first rounders plus a good young player and/or a solid stop gap for zorko that would only improve your chances in four years. You'd still have guys like rich around but not so many senior players that you end up staying mid teir (my own club currently being a good example)

I'm probably thick then. Makes sense to me. You need senior players to be around and guide the youth. However if you got 2 first rounders plus a good young player and/or a solid stop gap for zorko that would only improve your chances in four years. You'd still have guys like rich around but not so many senior players that you end up staying mid teir (my own club currently being a good example)
It's a tough balance, you don't want to end up like the Gold Coast with no onfield leaders.
The thing about Zorko specifically is, he's got a better chance of still being there when we push into the 8 than Rockliff would have, than Beams, even Rich and Christensen, because he has the durable body for it. He's only played 6 seasons, never been injured, has the physical characteristics of a man in his early 20s. He's not one injury away from falling off the cliff like most players who are 28/29.
We wouldn't want to trade a great clubman to help a rebuild and then see him still dominating for another club when we're in the finals.

I'd much rather get value out of trading Rocky, but unfortunately we have to let him go for peanuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a tough balance, you don't want to end up like the Gold Coast with no onfield leaders.
The thing about Zorko specifically is, he's got a better chance of still being there when we push into the 8 than Rockliff would have, than Beams, even Rich and Christensen, because he has the durable body for it. He's only played 6 seasons, never been injured, has the physical characteristics of a man in his early 20s. He's not one injury away from falling off the cliff like most players who are 28/29.
We wouldn't want to trade a great clubman to help a rebuild and then see him still dominating for another club when we're in the finals.

I'd much rather get value out of trading Rocky, but unfortunately we have to let him go for peanuts.
We are getting value for Rocky worth bugger all last year and we get nothing next year.Time to change our midfield up and we get something for him.

loyalty in the true sense of the word is not rewarded enough in modern AFL. certain circumstances change and players and clubs find themselves with excruciating decisions to make, usually due to $ on one end or the other..
Zorks is one of only 4 guys on our list (Lester, Rich, Mayes) that has shown unconditional loyalty and support for the club in the lowest of times and deserve to be untouchable.
On top of that, Zorks is now an amazing player and in the unthinkable scenario he got traded this offseason we would expect a Judd like return for him.

So if your willing to give up Duggan, Gaff and a couple first rd picks..,,
I would probably still say no.

The game is more than just Madden on the playstation. You cant constantly trade out yoyr best players for draft picks. You need to have CURRENT good players bringing the young ones through. We are bringing Hodge in for his ability to leader and develop the players onfield. Replacing Zorko who is an AA player for the chance in a lottery at an 18yo doesnt add up.

How has the Suns development gone getting flogged by 60 every week?

I still rate Francis after his first year - easy to forget he is only a second year player.
He's played 5 games in 2 years and only3 games in 2016 when pretty much anyone could get a game for Essendon. He's hardly killing it in the VFL either. Would be lucky to be work an early 2nd round pick.

loyalty in the true sense of the word is not rewarded enough in modern AFL. certain circumstances change and players and clubs find themselves with excruciating decisions to make, usually due to $ on one end or the other..
Zorks is one of only 4 guys on our list (Lester, Rich, Mayes) that has shown unconditional loyalty and support for the club in the lowest of times and deserve to be untouchable.
On top of that, Zorks is now an amazing player and in the unthinkable scenario he got traded this offseason we would expect a Judd like return for him.

So if your willing to give up Duggan, Gaff and a couple first rd picks..,,
I would probably still say no.
Minor detail but Mayes before his last contract was seeking opportunity elsewhere. Rumour had it that the reason he signed was because he didn't get any suitors. Rich has been loyal but we have overpayed for him so no reason for him to look, also l get the impression that he is happy to play footy and get his money and then surf (Leppa said that there were players on our list who didn't care if they won a premiership). Really it is only Zorko and Lester who have been unconditional loyalty through those lean years but if l am being harsh then Lester probably wouldn't get a gig elsewhere. Not trying to sounds harsh on all these players as l reckon they are great. In future Hippy, Andrews and l reckon Ballenden will be known for unconditional loyalty

Minor detail but Mayes before his last contract was seeking opportunity elsewhere. Rumour had it that the reason he signed was because he didn't get any suitors. Rich has been loyal but we have overpayed for him so no reason for him to look, also l get the impression that he is happy to play footy and get his money and then surf (Leppa said that there were players on our list who didn't care if they won a premiership). Really it is only Zorko and Lester who have been unconditional loyalty through those lean years but if l am being harsh then Lester probably wouldn't get a gig elsewhere. Not trying to sounds harsh on all these players as l reckon they are great. In future Hippy, Andrews and l reckon Ballenden will be known for unconditional loyalty

Mayes had suitors mate. 100%.

Really? Thought he was looking for a trade to SA but then they (Port and/or Crows) cooled off after a while. Must have been wrong, ah well good on Mayes, still think he is gonna be a really good player. Not A grade but a solid player that should play 200+ games with us i reckon

Dodongo disagrees. Dodongo thinks Mayes will be elite. With Hodge helping him off half back next year, watch out.

Mayes took a big step up this year. His stats match up well (not as good, but not all that far off) against guys like Laird and Docherty (although he has one of the highest averages of 1%s of any HBF player in 2017) and when compared against someone like Nathan Wilson who most see as an elite HBF, Mayes actually had the better season on paper in the worst team.

upload_2017-10-8_15-12-35.png

As we rise up the ladder, watch as Mayes gets noticed more and more. He will be very close to elite, if not elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back