Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

You better tell the decision makers then....

“We want to get to a position where we can play 11 games in Geelong,” Acting CEO Justin Reeves told the Geelong Advertiser. June 2017.

There is a big difference between talking PR crap for the fans and actually doing anything.

What have they actually DONE to get all their games at KP?

I mean, $200M has been spent on redeveloping the ground...you'd think they could have included in that a deal with the AFL for minimum games, etc. just like every other stadium built/rebuilt in the past 30-40 years has had, but no....nothing...

Those in charge are either grossly incompetent to have missed that opportunity, or don't actually want it and just spit out that PR to give their fans an 'us against them' attitude to fire them up.

You better tell the decision makers then....

“We want to get to a position where we can play 11 games in Geelong,” Acting CEO Justin Reeves told the Geelong Advertiser. June 2017.

However, when it comes to its home matches, the Cats will continue to campaign for some changes.

“In an ideal world, we would host all 11 home games at Simonds Stadium, but we understand this is not possible," Cook said.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-10-29/cook-delighted-with-cats-2016-fixture

Easter Monday has to stay at the MCG IMO so maybe Hawthorn have to look at playing someone else on that day in the future
Why should Easter Monday be played at the MCG? What intrinsic value does the MCG add to the event? Is it not the game itself and the two teams?

Fine by me, If we don't have the seats for Melbourne supporters, then we can't take any away from you either. Easter Monday just comes down the highway when it's our turn.
No you just don't play on Easter Monday anymore.

There is a big difference between talking PR crap for the fans and actually doing anything.

I mean, $200M has been spent on redeveloping the ground...you'd think they could have included in that a deal with the AFL for minimum games, etc. just like every other stadium built/rebuilt in the past 30-40 years has had, but no....nothing...

Those in charge are either grossly incompetent to have missed that opportunity, or don't actually want it and just spit out that PR to give their fans an 'us against them' attitude to fire them up.

Perhaps you need to point your questions towards the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, setup by the State Government via the Kardinia Park Stadium Act 2016. The only influence GFC has in the Trust is a representative on the Advisory Committee as selected by the Minister.

Why not? What about the MCG makes the difference on Easter Monday.
It's a blockbuster game on a public holiday, blockbuster games don't get played at boutique stadiums.

Geelong will never get 11 home games so maybe we should sell one to Port Adelaide who apparently don't want GC in China next year. And if the match in India goes down then we sell this too so we are down to 9 home games?

What I just said is perhaps the most sensible argument of Geelong not getting 11 genuine home games.

That $200m is the real rort that's going on. $200m for a ground that can't fit everybody, lacks cafes, bars, restaurants, function areas, terraces and comfortable seating... you look at a comparable amount of money spent on the 'G and what it paid for...

Growth of the code should not be stifled in this instance. Move games from the venue because it isn't, though it should be, up to the grade.

Perhaps you need to point your questions towards the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, setup by the State Government via the Kardinia Park Stadium Act 2016. The only influence GFC has in the Trust is a representative on the Advisory Committee as selected by the Minister.

You mean your club spent money on all this, is pretty much the only tenant and has no influence over what they do?

I think your club needs to learn to walk before they run and take on that trust before you try and talk the AFL into anything.

GFC : Bringing new meaning to the word Impotence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That $200m is the real rort that's going on. $200m for a ground that can't fit everybody, lacks cafes, bars, restaurants, function areas, terraces and comfortable seating... you look at a comparable amount of money spent on the 'G and what it paid for...

Growth of the code should not be stifled in this instance. Move games from the venue because it isn't, though it should be, up to the grade.

It was a combination of ALP pork barrelling and a job creation project to smooth out the transition with Ford closing down and the consequent loss of identity as the town becomes more and more just another outer suburb of Melbourne.

You clearly have never been if you believe that there is no "cafes, bars, restaurants, function areas, terraces or comfortable seating"
Edit: It has all of those things

You mean your club spent money on all this, is pretty much the only tenant and has no influence over what they do?

I think your club needs to learn to walk before they run and take on that trust before you try and talk the AFL into anything.

GFC : Bringing new meaning to the word Impotence.

No I don't mean that. Perhaps have a read of who the actual owners are of Kardinia Park before spouting crap about GFC.

No I don't mean that. Perhaps have a read of who the actual owners are of Kardinia Park before spouting crap about GFC.

and I'm pointing out it's a distinction without a difference.

If Geelong was ever to play 11 matches+finals at KP, then they and the trust would have done something about it.

They haven't, and therefore it wont happen, no matter how much PR crap the club puts out to try and stir up their members.

You can blame the AFL all you want, but it's GFC and the trust that's the cause of the problem.

and I'm pointing out it's a distinction without a difference.

If Geelong was ever to play 11 matches+finals at KP, then they and the trust would have done something about it.

They haven't, and therefore it wont happen, no matter how much PR crap the club puts out to try and stir up their members.

You can blame the AFL all you want, but it's GFC and the trust that's the cause of the problem.

Ok my bad, RFC are the best ground keepers and show everyone how it's done.

You clearly have never been if you believe that there is no "cafes, bars, restaurants, function areas, terraces or comfortable seating"
Edit: It has all of those things
It has a lack of them from what I've seen and heard. And nobody has provided any different to prove otherwise.

Perhaps you could regale me with some of the facilities I've failed to mention?

I've already outlined the amount of experience I've had with the stadium. I admit it is limited; but this is mostly due to the inaccessible nature of attending AFL at the venue: which is basically the point.

If geelong are going to insist on 11 home games at the venue then they are wishing to drag the code backwards. The rest of the competition should be compensated if this is to occur.

It has a lack of them from what I've seen and heard. And nobody has provided any different to prove otherwise.

Perhaps you could regale me with some of the facilities I've failed to mention?

I've already outlined the amount of experience I've had with the stadium. I admit it is limited; but this is mostly due to the inaccessible nature of attending AFL at the venue: which is basically the point.

If geelong are going to insist on 11 home games at the venue then they are wishing to drag the code backwards. The rest of the competition should be compensated if this is to occur.
:drunk: Oh noe you have to drive a wittle way to get there. Closer than Perth at least. How do you keep forgetting we aren't a Melbourne side.

:drunk: Oh noe you have to drive a wittle way to get there. Closer than Perth at least. How do you keep forgetting we aren't a Melbourne side.
? I live in geelong. I can walk. Though it is an issue that people from even Melbourne's west, some who are closer to KP than they are to The 'G & Etihad, have a harder time attending than they would in town. Due to the aforementioned lack of secure and reasonable parking, nightmare public transport both to and from etc.

My issue with accessibility is the hassle of acquiring tickets, what is available when you do try, how far out you have to plan attendance etc and the worth of doing so for the product that is on offer.

Wait, how many seats do opposition supporters get for games during the H&A season at SS?

Wait, how many seats do opposition supporters get for games during the H&A season at SS?
Midweek before the Geelong v. Richmond game at Kardinia Park, according to Brian Cook there were around 3000 seats allocated to Richmond supporters that weren't sold, so had to be resold to Cats supporters instead. Considering Richmond are the biggest club supporter base wise in Victoria, if they couldn't sell out their allocation, then it's fair to say opposition supporters are offered more than enough seats.

Midweek before the Geelong v. Richmond game at Kardinia Park, according to Brian Cook there were around 3000 seats allocated to Richmond supporters that weren't sold, so had to be resold to Cats supporters instead. Considering Richmond are the biggest club supporter base wise in Victoria, if they couldn't sell out their allocation, then it's fair to say opposition supporters are offered more than enough seats.
More than enough seats? How many is that? And midweek? What about on the day? How many are available, all up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back