Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

I fully expect him to be in the team round 1.
Seems like a "play me, or it's not worth my time being here", considering the stuff with his brother etc.
If we do keep him and he's not going to do the hard yards over summer then we shouldn't be gifting him a rd1 game. He should have had plenty of chats to our coaching and fitness teams knowing what is required from him to be in the best 22.

And if that was his attitude (I know it's just your opinion at this stage) maybe we should help him onto the plane home.

Pick 6 or pick 106, earn your games.

Depends on your definition....if homesickness means his hometown,which is essentially in between Melbourne and Adelaide, then it makes no sense.

If he considers Adelaide home and has an extensive network there from his school and SANFL days then I can buy it.
Just in this, I know family friends of his from the same region, and they defiinitely define Adelaide as home over Melbourne. Not just through school ties either, the network between that area and Adelaide is extensive.

Only other at all meaningful info I have is that he was genuinely thrilled to be drafted to Essendon, and it would be a "surprise" for him to dislike the club in any way. However, it was mentioned that a move home was also possible given circumstance.

If it’s going to happen it will be involved with the lever trade, balls in Dodoro’s court and I doubt very much we’ll trade him unless Dodoro gets the right price.

I love Francis talent, but I want the boy to suck it up, stop running and have a real hard crack at it. If he fails, then he can say, I gave it everything I had.

Don’t be another Troy Menzel. Be Luke Hodge.

Never knew about his brother and it sounds as though he was very important factor in his love of football.
Hopefully he goes on to have a great career either with us or back in SA.
It's easy to forget how young these blokes are.

I see his fitness levels as being an indicator of how much he wants to really play elite footy.

Will this ever change?

He certainly won't get any more opportunity with us if he doesn't radically change. I don't think he will tbh.

If we don't secure a trade that helps us land one of the SSS's or an Okish draft pick ( less than 30) & he ends up staying it could be all over red rover for him...

In today's intergrated team game, fitness is one of the absolute bed rocks of a successful team. This isn't the 1980's anymore!

Bombers fans, are you all in agreeance in wanting him to stay?
Definitely want to him stay. We need to help and support him not abandon him.
Give him extra time offseason at home, get his family over to Melbourne more often. His brother was even set to move over with him this year. Get him comfortable and he will flourish and who knows happens from there. We shouldn't be kicking a kid to the curb after 2 years

I fully expect him to be in the team round 1.
Seems like a "play me, or it's not worth my time being here", considering the stuff with his brother etc.

The club is better than that. He hasn’t deserved a regular game and threats won’t get him one. He’ll need a massive pre season and a serious change of attitude to get a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to help and support him not abandon him.

If anything perhaps he is abandoning us - he has asked for a trade. the club has asked him to get fitter. We haven't abandoned him.

Give him extra time offseason at home

Francis needs a shorter offseason not a longer one - he returned in an unacceptable condition last offseason. Discipline & fitness isn't his forte...

Get him comfortable and he will flourish.
Get him comfortable?? How old are you?

We are trying to create an elite AFL football club not a crèche.

We shouldn't be kicking a kid to the curb after 2 years.

Last I checked he asked to be traded, not the other way around...

To win a flag we need to demand elite behaviours not forgive and make excuses for his mediocrity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bombers fans, are you all in agreeance in wanting him to stay?
Happy to speak on everybody 's behalf :p. As I see it:

There would only be a small minority (<10%?) in the "i hope we get rid of him" camp. This small group would consist of two pretty even sub groups: those that are certain he will be a bust and want to get him out while he still holds value, and a group who feel it will be necessary to use his currency to secure all these other deals the club is looking at.

The majority of supporters seem probably split 50:50 into: those that think he can make it and must be persisted with due to high potential, and those who are less enthusiastic about his chances of delivering on potential and who are fairly ambivalent as to whether he is used as currency in a trade or held onto as a project.

Happy to speak on everybody 's behalf :p. As I see it:

There would only be a small minority (<10%?) in the "i hope we get rid of him" camp. This small group would consist of two pretty even sub groups: those that are certain he will be a bust and want to get him out while he still holds value, and a group who feel it will be necessary to use his currency to secure all these other deals the club is looking at.

The majority of supporters seem probably split 50:50 into: those that think he can make it and must be persisted with due to high potential, and those who are less enthusiastic about his chances of delivering on potential and who are fairly ambivalent as to whether he is used as currency in a trade or held onto as a project.
Well said

If anything perhaps he is abandoning us - he has asked for a trade. the club has asked him to get fitter. We haven't abandoned him.

Francis needs a shorter offseason not a longer one - he returned in an unacceptable condition last offseason. Discipline & fitness isn't his forte...

Get him comfortable?? How old are you?

We are trying to create an elite AFL football club not a crèche.

Last I checked he asked to be traded, not the other way around...

To win a flag we need to demand elite behaviours not forgive and make excuses for his mediocrity.
The club knew he had some issues when we drafted him. He is more than happy to stay and try to work it out and we are not going to get bugger all for him now so I’m more than happy to give him another year atleast and hope he can turn it around

Last edited by a moderator:
The club knew he had some issues when we drafted him. He is more than happy to stay and try to work it out and we are not going to get bugger all for him now so I’m more than happy to give him another year atleast and hope he can turn it around

You are probably right about
getting bugger all for him. honestly would love to see this guy succeed. But he has to want it. He needs to put in the hard work & smash it.
Give the club everything he has &
admitted to himself he has been lazy.

I expect that he would need to be running almost marathons before he returns to preseason. Maybe working with Jobes boxing coach as well.

If he can increase his fitness by a mere 10 - 15% I would allow him to steal Gleesons spot and play him for 10+ games

I can't see it. Unless you are of the belief that this whole story is orchestrated by the club in order to move him on. In which case, it seems very silly to narrow down your trade options from 17 to 2.

A few Essendon types in Lloyd, Lucas and Twomey in the last month, have publically planted the seed that Francis is a million miles away from AFL Footy - This is by design and not by accident - How has it narrowed the chances from 17 to 2 ? I am certain if a Melbourne club makes an offer it will be considered.

He will either stay or go one of the SA clubs. If Port or Adelaide don't provide a suitable offer we will keep him as we have stated we would.

I am unsure if either club from Adelaide will be interested - Time will tell.

Just in this, I know family friends of his from the same region, and they defiinitely define Adelaide as home over Melbourne. Not just through school ties either, the network between that area and Adelaide is extensive.

Only other at all meaningful info I have is that he was genuinely thrilled to be drafted to Essendon, and it would be a "surprise" for him to dislike the club in any way. However, it was mentioned that a move home was also possible given circumstance.

My interpretation is any potential move was club inspired, though with the tacit agreement of Francis.

I'm sure they would be, the question is at what cost?

It will be like every other trade going on, the buyer will want to pay as little as possible and seller will want full trade value.

The fact the Crows have had problems with "Go home factor" lately, you'd think they would be keen on home grown top end talent which is mostly likely at a discount.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back