How has Leigh Matthews lasted so long in Media

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
HOW has Leigh Matthews lasted so long. The answer to my mind is that he SOLD out his true views on the game a number of years ago. It's a shame coz I really like Lethal and used to enjoy his thoughts on the game but he has back peddled that far he is now impossible to listen to as he is not being true to himself but to his BANK BALANCE for sure. I.e. Integrity is choosing your thought and actions based on values rather than Personal Gain. (Googled) and this is where Lethal sits he has no Integrity as a media commentator any more. He is in the AFL system for the financial rewards only. Good Luck to him I guess.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Thought he was generally excellent when he first started this Channel 7 stint (and he’s better on 3AW) but as a TV commentator he’s really gone downhill in the past 3-4 years.

Seems to have gotten a bit lazy and just says the bleeding obvious too often; it’s probably the main reason he was taken off the Friday night commentary and relegated to Sunday afternoon.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought he was generally excellent when he first started this Channel 7 stint (and he’s better on 3AW) but as a TV commentator he’s really gone downhill in the past 3-4 years.

Seems to have gotten a bit lazy and just says the bleeding obvious too often; it’s probably the main reason he was taken off the Friday night commentary and relegated to Sunday afternoon.

They are all worse now that Dennis is gone. Everyone is desperate to emulate BT now and the commentating is just plain garbage.

Just compare Bruce 2017 to Bruce 2015. Totally different. And far worse.

As for Leigh, he is mostly okay except when talking about Hawthorn - who he is always happy to have a crack at. I dare say because he cant handle the thought that the club has had enormous success despite the fact that he retired. Having lost his final 2 Grand Finals.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Turned himself into an AFL suckhole, but to be fair it took him over a decade to do so, Luke Darcy did it in 3 minutes.

Yeah Leigh is just another paid AFL shill these days, he even defends some of the ridiculously soft MRP suspensions that are handed down now which when you consider how he played and coached the game is quite laughable.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
HOW has Leigh Matthews lasted so long. The answer to my mind is that he SOLD out his true views on the game a number of years ago.

Point me in the direction of one commentator who really speaks his mind. The AFL own these guys, they know it, and they don't want to say anything that interferes with an easy pay packet. I would think his apparent disinterest in his voice would come from NOT being allowed to speak his mind. The last person I recall being honest in his opinions is Malcolm Blight .... and everyone complained. :)

Apr 8, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Toronto Blue Jays
One of my favourite Lethal media moments was after the ANZAC game circa 2012 and AFL.com.au video Matt Thompson the shithead opens up with this bullshit gem:

"WHAT A GAME, ANZAC DAY IT ALLLWAYS DELIVERS DOESN'T IT?"

Lethal just stared at him with a dumbfounded "wtf are you talking about?" Look before mumbling out a "well, nah it doesn't..."

For somebody who used to kinghit people on the reg he has developed the patience of a saint.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Matthews sounds like a eunuch. As opposed to his fearsome on-field persona, in the commentary box he is like a mosquito or white noise. Always buzzing in the background but with nothing of substance.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
He is obviously no fool through his coaching achievements so I'm sure he could do a good job if he wanted to, but he is lazy as **** as a commentator. Seems like he puts almost zero effort or research into anything on the game but hey he is a legend of the league so they just basically give him a big paycheck to turn up.

Point me in the direction of one commentator who really speaks his mind. The AFL own these guys, they know it, and they don't want to say anything that interferes with an easy pay packet. I would think his apparent disinterest in his voice would come from NOT being allowed to speak his mind. The last person I recall being honest in his opinions is Malcolm Blight .... and everyone complained. :)

The thing with afl media is that it is one of a domestic sport. There is no room to move. Satisfy HQ or else find yourself on the outer.
Contrast with basketball, soccer, even cricket. You can move around, move overseas, cover other leagues etc.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He was THE best special comments man, dropped right off though.

Agree.

I'm not having a personal crack at the bloke, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he is going a touch wobbly upstairs.

The crap he spouts these days is as if his body has been taken over by another person.

Back