Who is the best tackler in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Hawthorn supporter I've had the pleasure to watch Paul Puopolo and Cyril Rioli over premiership years, and for my money there aren't many better than those two. Rioli in particular is one of the few players I've seen who has consistently taken down Martin, Ablett and the like - his technique and reflexes are insane.

There are only 3 certainties in life.... death, taxes, and if you take on Cyril Rioli in a contest it isn't going to end well for you.

In terms of impact, Jacob Townsend then daylight.

Anyone who was at Punt Road Oval a couple of months back and saw...heard...his tackle on Wylie Buzza... The noise was tremendous, Buzza, respect to him, eventually got up and limped to the bench.

Daylight? I reckon Mumford Cameron Viney Rioli Heeney etc can all have arguments against that. Townsend is up their with his rugby history.

For anyone who remembers him and crows fans specifically. Aidan Riley was an animal nicknamed the pig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sHOoyA3.gif

r8pTTHD.gif
In the back.

Matt Crouch's tackle that actually brought down Dusty + won a free. Pretty sure his the only bloke i've ever seen take down Dusty.
Seems pretty good on the tackle from watching a few Adelaide games.

Not many escape a Cyril Rioli tackle...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back