Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It's amazing how these people (not you blue harvest) that have no idea are telling us how the game should be run. I started typing some replies but then realised I'd have to explain every little detail of everything to them and even then they'd argue, so didn't bother.

Interstaters, go to the AFL website and read up on how GF ticket allocation and AFL membership works. As far as all Victorians being behind the Tigers on GF day, take a look at where everyone commenting is from and who they barrack for. Then take a look at the poll in here asking who people hoped would win the GF and you'll get a clue as to what percentage of people were barracking for the Tigers. Here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/neutrals-who-are-you-supporting-in-the-gf.1177992/
A bigfooty poll doesn't tell you who gets access to tickets for the grand final.
Going by the bigfooty poll twice as many people wanted the crows to win. If it was really neutral then you would expect more crows supporters there than tiger supporters. There were 70% Richmond supports there

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll take the broadcasters word over your top of your head assumption thanks. 70 / 30 Richmond crowd
This is info the AFL published that I said I would track down, it's in the AFL Members thread. About 2600 full afl members for Richmond, only full members could get GF tickets. As I said, majority of AFL Members Reserve is neutral on GF day (unless Collingwood are playing). As several people have explained, Richmond's 70k members are separate, only the 2600 AFL members get a seat in the AFL reserve.
418317_02955f7751d15e0e8fbbd69bdce5a1c5.jpg

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
This is info the AFL published that I said I would track down, it's in the AFL Members thread. About 2600 full afl members for Richmond, only full members could get GF tickets. As I said, majority of AFL Members Reserve is neutral on GF day (unless Collingwood are playing). As several people have explained, Richmond's 70k members are separate, only the 2600 AFL members get a seat in the AFL reserve.
Yeah they are the correct numbers.

The problem being scalping and lax checking, almost non existent of AFL memberships, means that the AFL members isn't full of AFL members on GF day.

So a family of full AFL members with Collingwood club support, can buy 4 tickets and let Richmond friends / family go. As the membership and ID matching is almost non existent.

The players and corporate scalped tickets also more likely to be purchased by a Tiger than a Crow.

The AFL members was clearly dominated by Richmond supporters on GF day, that coming from a neutral fan who did actually go and was inside the stadium.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Top 4 teams this year.

Adelaide (11-3 at Adelaide Oval, 6-1-4 away from Adelaide Oval)
Geelong (6-1 at Skilled, 10-1-7 away from Skilled)
Richmond (12-2 at the MCG, 6-5 away from the MCG)
GWS (10-1-1 at Spotless & Manuka, 5-1-7 away from Spotless & Manuka)

Winning away from home is a lot harder than winning at your home ground, interstate clubs have to hope they land another interstate club who is likely to also play 2 times a year at the MCG.

Having a grand final at your home ground is just a ludicrous advantage its pretty obvious.
Just read this post if you want to know what all the whining is about

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL members was clearly dominated by Richmond supporters on GF day, that coming from a neutral fan who did actually go and was inside the stadium.
I was in there too and there were easily more neutrals where I was on level 1. Lots of Tiger supporters around too, I think them being more vocal and wearing the colours makes it seem like there are more.

Relton Roberts

Debutant
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
The only real advantage a Victorian based side has by playing the GF at the MCG is the fact they have spend the last few nights at home in their own bed with all their family around them like normal where as a travelling team is bunked up in a hotel.

Couldn't you just enforce the team has to spend the night in a hotel like the traveling side?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Yeah they are the correct numbers.

So a family of full AFL members with Collingwood club support, can buy 4 tickets and let Richmond friends / family go.

Not sure why you post that.
There were NO GUEST PASSES sold as an AFL full Member this year.
If there was, I would have got one for a Richmond friend but as there were none, I could only buy one for myself.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I notice Geelong made the arduous track to Melbourne to have their best and fairest. Is there nothing the AFL won't do to shaft poor old Geelong, they can't even host their night of nights in their home town.

Did the MCG issue with Geelong come from outside or inside the club?

There aren't any logical reasons to argue against playing at the MCG for a home state final.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Not sure why you post that.
There were NO GUEST PASSES sold as an AFL full Member this year.
If there was, I would have got one for a Richmond friend but as there were none, I could only buy one for myself.
I said a family. If you had four full membership baroness you could get four tickets.

Then up to the individual whether they happy for their friends to use their tickets on their behalf. The membership checking is that rare that plenty chance it.

MCC members have photo ID on the card, so less transferring of tickets occurs.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The only real advantage a Victorian based side has by playing the GF at the MCG is the fact they have spend the last few nights at home in their own bed with all their family around them like normal where as a travelling team is bunked up in a hotel.

Couldn't you just enforce the team has to spend the night in a hotel like the traveling side?
Some members of the travelling side might prefer to be in a hotel far away from a missus and screaming kids, or just the missus. It's not like these guys stay upstairs at a pub where the walls are rattling from the band.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

No, the advantage is the ground. The MCG is different to the interstate grounds that interstate teams are used to playing at. Richmond play the G well and Adelaide are simply not as effective playing there. Having said that, I don't care that the top ranked side has to play at the MCG because you could argue in the case of interstate sides that their ladder position was exaggerated by their home fortress, much in the same way Geelong's ladder position was probably flattering due to their home ground.

Therefore, if you're really that good, you should be able to overcome that advantage or at least make a fist of it. Adelaide had a good season, yes, but the grand final showed they were not really that good. Ditto West Coast in 2015. In a perfect world, every ground would be the same size and we'd get different ladders, but it isn't. Besides, the different dimensions of each ground are probably to give sides a home edge.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
. Besides, the different dimensions of each ground are probably to give sides a home edge.

This is a great point.

If interstate sides aren’t used to playing at the MCG, then it means VIC sides aren’t used to playing at their home ground, which gives them a better chance of winning and qualifying for finals.

The MCG is as neutral as you can get for a massive stadium in Australia though, and it’s the traditional home of this sport.

Interstate supporters love to call us VIC-centric, but you also have to honour the long, cultural heritage of this great game dating back to the 1850’s when it started.

The MCG is the home of football.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a great point.

If interstate sides aren’t used to playing at the MCG, then it means VIC sides aren’t used to playing at their home ground, which gives them a better chance of winning and qualifying for finals.

The MCG is as neutral as you can get for a massive stadium in Australia though, and it’s the traditional home of this sport.

Interstate supporters love to call us VIC-centric, but you also have to honour the long, cultural heritage of this great game dating back to the 1850’s when it started.

It isn't a great point at all. If the dimensions are so different that interstate sides gets significant home ground advantage, they also get a significant away disadvantage that neutralises the benefit.

In summary, I'm from Victoria so I think there is some mythical status attached to the MCG. Have I got it right?

Last edited:

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
It isn't a great point at all. If the dimensions are so different that interstate sides gets significant home ground advantage, they also get a significant away disadvantage that neutralises the benefit.

In summary, I'm from Victoria so I think their some mythical status attached to the MCG. Have I got it right?

Why don’t you build your stadiums with the same dimensions then?

The MCG represents the heartland of this sport for 150 years.

The rich heritage of our game should be celebrated, not tarnished due to jealous interstate supporters who don’t appreciate the full history of our game.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I said a family. If you had four full membership baroness you could get four tickets.

Then up to the individual whether they happy for their friends to use their tickets on their behalf. The membership checking is that rare that plenty chance it.

MCC members have photo ID on the card, so less transferring of tickets occurs.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for explaining it fully.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This is a great point.

In what way is the MCG any more nuetral than the SCG, its not you know.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Why don’t you build your stadiums with the same dimensions then?

The MCG represents the heartland of this sport for 150 years.

The rich heritage of our game should be celebrated, not tarnished due to jealous interstate supporters who don’t appreciate the full history of our game.
Because modern demands require that stadiums be built to accommodate more than just football. The idea that an inherent unfairness should be maintained because of decisions made 150 years ago is just silly; it's a national game now, not regional. As for 'rich heritage of our game', you do know the WAFL is older than the VFL, no? Or do you not appreciate the full history of our game?

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Because modern demands require that stadiums be built to accommodate more than just football. The idea that an inherent unfairness should be maintained because of decisions made 150 years ago is just silly; it's a national game now, not regional. As for 'rich heritage of our game', you do know the WAFL is older than the VFL, no? Or do you not appreciate the full history of our game?

At oval with MCG dimensions would be equally suitable for other purposes compared to your current ground.

Australian rules football was born in Victoria and this is where it grew into a National game.

Victoria is the home of football.

The MCG is the cultural centre of this great game’s rich heritage.

You can be narrow minded and focus on WA all you like but the reality is the MCG will always be the home of football and the home of the AFL Grand Final.

If you like the WAFL so much go watch the WAFL Grand Final in Perth.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

In summary, I'm from Victoria so I think there is some mythical status attached to the MCG. Have I got it right?
How do people explain home ground advantage in sports like basketball, soccer or NFL that have set playing field sizes?

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
How do people explain home ground advantage in sports like basketball, soccer or NFL that have set playing field sizes?

It’s a fair question (though soccer shouldn’t be in that group). EPL grounds allow for variation of up to 27m in length and 45m in width. Thankfully no one goes to those extremes but there are variations.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If you like the WAFL so much go watch the WAFL Grand Final in Perth.
I did, thanks for your interest. Oh, and narrow minded is thinking that because Aussie rules started in Victoria, certain things can never change, despite it being a national competition.

Home ground advantage involves a number of factors, including travel, fan support, stadium etc.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Again we have a higher ranked team playing an away gf.

Its not a fair solution - but you have to love the idea of a granny at the g - its an amazing venue.

So i was thinking - how can we even it up - and i thought - well you can trade future picks - why cant you trade future home finals.

And there it is - win lose or draw - after this weekend - richmond owe adelaide a home final.

So if next year richmond finish ABOVE adelaide - and the two meet in a final - they play in adelaide.

Evens things up a bit not 100% but better than nothing - keeps the g as a gf venue.

Tadaaaaa

Hit me up with more conundrums - im an ideas man.

No.

Statistically speaking, two specific sides match up in finals very rareley. The 1996 grand final was the first time in 71 years those two sides had met in a final.

Theoretically, do you think its fair that a team that has earned a home final has to give it up to repay a 71 year old debt?

Back