Center Square: Greenwood, Douglas, Hampton, Ellis-Yolmen, Poholke
General Defender: Doedee, Cheney
Tall Defender: Keath
Attacking HB/Winger: Knight, Galucci, Francis, Mackay, Smith
General Fwd: Menzel
Marking Fwd: Otten

Other squad members to keep developing in SANFL

This is after:
Lever out for Melb’s 10 and 2018 2nd rd pick.
Pick 16 & Atkins Traded to Car for Gibbs
Cameron out for Bris 18, on-traded to Ess for Francis

Alrighty, assuming no trades and injuries in this is how i'd go:

B: Doedee - Talia - Brown
HB: Seedsman - Keath - Laird
C: Atkins - Sloane - Milera
HFF: Lynch - Tex - McGovern
FF: Gallucci - Jenkins - Betts
R: Jacobs - Crouch 1, Crouch 2.
INT: Douglas - Knight - Kelly - Greenwood

So the changes: Doedee - Lever is a no brainer, and in a role that the system makes the player this should be a relatively painless switch.
Gallucci for Cameron is purely for blooding. If he is to become the player that we want him to be, he needs as many games as possible.
Milera gets the wing, it's his third preseason, so it's time to step up and be that 1-2 outside midfielder alongside Atkins.
Keath over Hartigan - another preseason to keath and he has weapons that could quite simply be game changing in a key position player. Time to see if he's a better option.

My Round one team:

B:
Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Laird, Hartigan, Hampton
C: Motlop, B.Crouch, Gibbs
HF: Lynch, Walker, Milera
FF: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
FOLL: Jacobs, Sloane, M.Crouch

INT: Greenwood, Atkins, Menzel, Kelly

EMERG/Depth Options: Francis, Knight, Keath, Galucci, Douglas, ROB,

Based on the crows trading oout Lever and Cameron and 2nd round pick for Aaron Francis, 1st round pick (that we got for Cameron) for Bryce Gibbs and picking up Steven Motlop as a RFA.

I think Mackay, Douglas and Knight will likely play 50-65% of games in 2018 but if we are going to have another tilt at a premiership, we need to put ourselves in a position where they are NOT considered best 22.
Douglas is a certain starter in round 1.. he won nest team man at the B&F? Coach loves him.. rarely played a bad game this year.
he will most likely retire at seasons end though but he will play round 1

Douglas is a certain starter in round 1.. he won nest team man at the B&F? Coach loves him.. rarely played a bad game this year.
he will most likely retire at seasons end though but he will play round 1
Have to admit,. you're likely right. Good call mate.

I see a lot of Atkins & Jenkins in the teams. After their diabolical finals campaign and performance in pressure games this season I can't see them being trusted again.
Really ??

Jenkins is a maybe, because even Sauce said today that smaller forwardlines are the way of the world and we need to ramp up pressure. There is no way Atkins misses, absolutely none.

If we went by finals failures then Sloane would be on the pine, the captain would be playing SANFL and Greenwood would barely make that side.

I reckon we will go small in the pre season.

Now that's a strange suggestion
When he was first drafted he couldn’t crack the Eagles league side for the first couple of years in the midfield, then was put to CHB and was excellent in this position and made it his own for half a season. The next season the Crows Reserves came in and has done well at SANFL level as a midfielder. He is same height/weight as Josh Gibson. Reckon he could play this role and has probably fallen behind Greenwood and Hampton as a midfielder.

Play CEY as the 3rd tall defender in Lever’s position.

Doedee to Brown’s position as he learns his craft.

Brown to be given a licence as a running half back along with Laird, in essence replacing Smith. Run through midfield.

Please no. We made Brown a running half back last year and it was an utter failure. Let the best lock down small defender in the league lock down.

If we really want an extra running half back and don't have anyone else to do it, let that be doedees position and he can learn to defend at AFL level against lesser opponents.

6. Smaller, more attacking defence. I think the days are gone where you can play 4+ lockdown defenders.

8. Deeper midfield with more players that can play multiple roles.

These comments above :thumbsu:.

The problem we've had is that none (or very few) of our other ground-level players can be rotated through the Centre Square mix, and this has got to change. The (extremely) rare exceptions are Betts and Laird, but this happens about as often as Hayley's Comet. We need to bring in other ground-level players that, when required, can be run through the Centre Square rotations and win some inside contested ball at Centre Bounces and other clearances around the ground. I'm all for starting with Sloane and Crouches Inc. in the Centre Square, but there are days when they get beaten and we need other blokes we can turn to.

And irrespective of whether or not we secure Gibbs or some other quality Mids, MacKay and Douglas both need to be dropped. Their playing days in the senior side are over. Likewise Jenkins and Otten.

B: Doedee, Talia, Brown
HB: Milera*, Hartigan, Laird
C: Seedsman, B Crouch, Sloane
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins**, McGovern

R: Jacobs, Gibbs, M Crouch

I: Gallucci, Greenwood, Kelly, Knight/Atkins

* Really like this idea over Mackay.
** Would rather play Myke Cook at FF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Doedee, Talia, Brown
HB: Milera*, Hartigan, Laird
C: Seedsman, B Crouch, Sloane
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins**, McGovern

R: Jacobs, Gibbs, M Crouch

I: Gallucci, Greenwood, Kelly, Knight/Atkins

* Really like this idea over Mackay.
** Would rather play Myke Cook at FF.

I'd like to see Gibbs stationed at full forward rotating with Sloaney on the ball.
If Jenkins is going to play soft he needs to do it in the seconds.

My DEPTH Chart, with the 17 in bold I think are walk up starts for Round 1.

I suspect you can add Douglas, Knight and Atkins to the 17, leaving IMO, Gibson, Poholke, Gallucci, Hampton, Seedsman, Mackay & Milera fighting for the final 2 spots.

Key Defender: Talia, Hartigan, Doedee, Otten, Keath

Small Defender: Laird, Brown, Kelly, Gibson (don't know where to put him tbh), Poholke, Cheney, [Smith (inj)]

Inside Mid: Sloane, M Crouch, B Crouch, Greenwood, Hampton, Ellis-Yolmen, Signorello

Outside Mid: Gibbs, Douglas, Knight, Atkins, Seedsman, Mackay, Milera,

Mobile forward: Lynch, Gallucci, Beech, Davis

Key forward: Walker, McGovern, Jenkins, Himmelberg, Dear

Small forward: Betts, Jarman

Ruck: Jacobs, O'Brien, Hunter

Last edited:
B: Brown - Hartigan - Doedee
HB: Laird - Talia - Seedsman
C: Gibbs - Sloane - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - Milera
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
R: Jacobs - Crouch - Crouch
I: Greenwood - Kelly - Douglas - Knight
E: O'Brien - Hampton - Gallucci

**Excluding B. Smith completely**
B: L. Brown D. Talia T. Doedee
HB: R. Laird K. Hartigan J. Kelly
C: P. Seedsman M. Crouch B. Gibbs
HF: T. Lynch T. Walker J. Galucci
F: E. Betts J. Jenkins M. McGovern
Ruc: S. Jacobs B. Crouch R. Sloane

INT: H. Greenwood, R. Douglas, R. Atkins, W. Milera

Emergencies: R. Knight, A. Keath, M. Poholke, C. Hampton
Short term Depth: R. O'Brien, S. Gibson, D. Mackay, A. Otten, K. Cheney, C. Ellis-Yolmen, J. Beech
Long Term Depth: P. Hunter, M. Signorello, B. Davis, E. Himmelberg, H. Dear, B. Jarman

Bold are the ones I believe that, barring injuries/rests will play 22 games; all others may potentially swap with an emergency throughout the year, based on form.
Short Term Depth are those who may play due to injuries, but won't be viewed as B22. Mackay will probably not be viewed here by the club.
Long Term Depth are those I don't know much about, and who I can't see playing at this point, barring an injury crisis.

Doedee~Talia~Brown.
Kelly~Harto~Laird
B.crouch ~M.Crouch~Hampton
Lynch ~Walker~ Gallucci
Betts ~ Jenkins ~ McGovern

Fol: Jacobs, Sloane, Gibbs

Atkins/Greenwood, Douglas, Knight/Greenwood, Milera

Seedsman and Dmac probably most notable exceptions. Knight and Atkins most on the edge.

Looking at a harder outside unit than normal, starting with softer players like Milera and Atkins on the bench. Eventually they come on and perform the role of rebound out of defense we are missing from Smith, just need to let the initial heat come out of the game
Hampton sure to be controversial, but I like his weapons, he is more defensively minded than Seedsman and can go forward as a rotation or back as a lock down in case of injury.

Greenwood is competing with those two.

This years pre season comp will tell a lot

Adelaide didn't retain CEY Cheney and trade in Gibson because it sounded a good idea

With Milera Hampton Keath ROB looking for selection

Then you have those that are pushing for their opportunity and I will include Galluci there because he's only played one game

From the GF team we lose Lever and Cameron but have Gibbs and Gov to come straight in

All those above players will need a huge pre season to push their case

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back