Autopsy The 2017 AFL Grand Final - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fwiw speaking strictly from a rfc perspective, id play interstate every day of the week over etihad

We suck at that joint, always have, and its just down the road. Compared to that we have a comparatively decent record at domain, ao, and we love the gabba.

Only interstate trip i fear is sydney at the scg, and its because we gave had two decades of poo at that joint.

When we sold games to darwin and cairns, it was sold to the members on two grounds

1) its a short term debt reduction fix

2) it means on less etihad home game

I know rfc fans hate the joint, but ignoring that, we have zero home state advantage there
Its a difficult to play ground.

Its a difficult to play ground.

Dons, kangas, dogs and saints handle it well enough

As said, the home state advantage is massively over played here. Teams tend to develop gameplans that suit certain grounds, and not surprisingly it tends to be the ground they play on most often

Liked: The atmosphere in Melbourne leading up the finals was incredible, especially the city and Punt rd... just wow

Learnt: Controversial but I don't believe in the whole "most equal year" dribble. I think it only appeared that way bc of all the easy 4points handed out by decent teams like Sydney, Adelaide and Geelong (next year will tell)

Hated:
The games in the finals series including the GF itself was a tad tame/boring. The WCE v Port game was a clear exception and i really enjoyed watching that one.

You sound like a quitter.

Me - i like to try and change things

When it became the afl it started to change - as more teams enter it will change more - one day you will wake up and we will out vote you as there will be more interstate sides than vics.

Wont hapoen if we just give up
You sound like the bloke who builds a house next to industry and complains to council to get the industry moved.

Don't worry about it Barry, people are still claiming 2016 was a conspiracy managed by the AFL and the umpires. Some very salty swans and (surprisingly) saints in here.

Well done Tiges, too much pressure, you used Bevo's game style to perfection
saint*. Lets not lump the rest in, because believe me, I've already slapped that ******* down back in his box

this season top teams struggled to play away
and it showed up in the finals

richmond didnt have to travel in this finals series, compared to ever other team did.

cats vs richmond game winner was going to be the premier

- also it shows how hard it is to bring pressure and be sharp for consecutive finals games

Loved the Tigers resilience in the H&A when after losing a couple of very close games (esp the Giants game after dodgy umpiring) to chip away, keep their belief and win the GF due to pressure, desperation and 22 guys all pulling in one direction.
And happy for all their supporters who have been miserable for a long time.

Hated: Ch 7 commentary, it's putrid. I put them on mute now and find the game much more entertaining and interesting.

Loved: We won. It’s only just sinking in.
Learnt: Fraudelaide aren’t close to as good the media pumped them up to be.
Hated: After the Tigers complete demolition of all comets in the finals, people still think we had it lucky or that it was due to playing at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved the Tigers resilience in the H&A when after losing a couple of very close games (esp the Giants game after dodgy umpiring) to chip away, keep their belief and win the GF due to pressure, desperation and 22 guys all pulling in one direction.
And happy for all their supporters who have been miserable for a long time.

Hated: Ch 7 commentary, it's putrid. I put them on mute now and find the game much more entertaining and interesting.
I don't like bt. Maybe he is ok on the boundary rider but a main commentary person he sucks.

With all the advantage it brings how come only 1 of the MCG tenants made the finals?
Excellent point. At the end of the regular season Richmond had eleven of their matches at the MCG, Adelaide played twelve of their matches at the Adelaide Oval. Adelaide then had two finals at Adelaide Oval and Richmond had three at the MCG. That makes fourteen a piece. Sounds pretty fair to me.

Because richmond suck harder than paris hilton at a c*ck convention away from the mcg:

The best they could manage was lolport - 5th and fremantle -14th

They aint no hawthorn bud - they are mcg queens:

18th - Beat brisbane at the gabba by 52

1st - Lost to adelaide at ao by 76

10th - Lost to the dogs at etihad by 5

4th - Lost to gws by 3 at spotless

15th - Beat roos by 35 at etihad

5th - Beat port by 13 at ao

11th - Lost by 67 to saints at etihad

18th - Beat brisbane at etihad by 31

17th - Beat gc by 33 at metricon

2nd - Lost to geelong by 14 at skilled

14th - Beat freo by 104 at subi

Some real dribble right there.

The game it self wasn't great to watch,even the week before GWS tried to play great looking footy.
Richmond team reminded me of the aussie cricket team win ugly if we have too.
Didnt like dusty winning the norm Smith Houli was better I thought.
Crows will be up there again next year they have alot of upside.

Was far from an ugly win. We played pretty good hard tough footy for the whole final series. I’d hardly call a 51, 36,48 point win ugly.

The 2017 gf has really sorted out footy fans into 2 groups:
The Mary Poppins Crowd - they love floral dresses, strawberries, and polite bruise free footy.
The Mud Wrestlers - they like it down, dirty, getting inside, then getting outside, like it hard and fast.

So which are you, football follower?

Dons, kangas, dogs and saints handle it well enough

As said, the home state advantage is massively over played here. Teams tend to develop gameplans that suit certain grounds, and not surprisingly it tends to be the ground they play on most often
Its almost like its their home ground and they have developed a game plan to suit it.

Then if they then had a grand final that was played on that ground they would have a leg up against a team from elsewhere

Its almost like its their home ground and they have developed a game plan to suit it.

Then if they then had a grand final that was played on that ground they would have a leg up against a team from elsewhere

Not always.

Some g teams have better suited etihad and vice versa.

If you have a running game you tend to do better on etihad. If you play for the boundaries and stoppages, the mcg

I think the issue is clubs inability to have a sustainable plan b over a great victorian conspiracy. Just imo, but i think some clubs have become too focused on dominating their home ground over being strong away. I always liked the swans/eagles of the 2000's attitude on this, they just knew the could beat up anyone anywhere, and they played like it. The noises from some clubs this finals series indicates not all still have this belief

Not always.

Some g teams have better suited etihad and vice versa.

If you have a running game you tend to do better on etihad. If you play for the boundaries and stoppages, the mcg

I think the issue is clubs inability to have a sustainable plan b over a great victorian conspiracy. Just imo, but i think some clubs have become too focused on dominating their home ground over being strong away. I always liked the swans/eagles of the 2000's attitude on this, they just knew the could beat up anyone anywhere, and they played like it. The noises from some clubs this finals series indicates not all still have this belief
Too true.

Just look at richmond away from the g.

Too true.

Just look at richmond away from the g.

Only the funnel grounds, and only this year. Club actually likes to travel (they find it helps team bonding)

Fwiw not long ago we had a better away record at one point than home

Remove this Banner Ad

Back