Strategy Sam Rowe at full forward 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to have him back at Norwood if you dont want him

Rowey will be a starting 22 player for Carlton if he is fit to play. The new kids like Weitering will be developed to play both ends - and this can only happen if blokes liek Jones/Sylvagni/Rowe can slot in down back - all three have shown great form and enough ability to release Weitering. Williamson will probably be tried further up on a wing and Docherty is already slated for more midfield time.

Bolton is into players being able to play in multiple positions.

I think Rowe is pretty well finished now that Jones has proven himself as an excellent replacement.
Can't see the club opting for him over Jones, Marchbank, Weitering, Macreadie….I think we're ok for talls in the backline.
He's only been a pinch hitter in the forward line a few times that I can recall.

Tall backline options in 2018

Weitering Marchbank Macreadie Jones White ASOS Plowman maybe G-Mac

Tall forward line options in 2018

Casboult McKay Kerr Silvagni maybe Charlie

Rowe can fill either (as can others above) but with more mobile footy being played and more need for midfield types I think we have it covered. Handy option though

Rowe is done. Players are passing him
Won't be best 22 next year, yet if he hadn't suffered the knee injury, would have most likely played every game in the seniors this season.

It will be handy to know that if ASOS or Jones are unavailable for any reason, Rowe will be able to slot in as an experienced, big bodied KPD.

Wing. CHB will be taken by Hampson

Hampson will be glad to hear that Army is sticking firm on his choice to retire.

Never forget. Greatest CHB in the history of AFL.

McKay as tall option, Silvagni/Kerr as mobile tall surrounded by smalls & midfielders like Cripps Gibbs Kennedy SPS Murphy Charlie Smith. Modern forward line

I like Rowe but he will become a depth player in 2018
I like this approach.
The premiership team didn't have a 2nd ruckman, neither did WB from memory.
Curnow has already shown he can take the ruck around the ground (probably more capable than Grigg who played that role all year for the Tigers).
I'd like another one or two players who are quick small forwards first and midfielders 2nd. Can see Polson or Lebois filling that role alongside Pickett.

Rowe will be there for the big bodies.

I'm looking forward to Rowe, ASOS and Jones all playing (subject to match-ups) . I think you'll see Jones get even more dominant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has a bung knee and 1 ball and you want him play the hardest spot on the ground? he never made it as a forward which is what he was initially recruited for

Maybe for the Bullants in a Liam Jones style reversal, but cant see it happening at AFL level, actually as much as I love Sammy cant see him getting back in the side at all unless we get hit with injuries.

Our big backs are the best they have been in a long time with the addition of (a fit) Alex Silvagni and the revelation that is Liam Jones, along with the mediums Lachie Plowman and Jacob Writering. Caleb Marchbank seems solid as well.

A big bodied skilled forward is one of the things we are missing and possibly Sam Rowe could fill that void. He is built like a brick shithouse and can take a mark over head or at least bring the ball to ground and also is a much better kick than Casboult.

Play Levi more as a link player up the ground. I know we have been sending weitering up forward too I just don't see him as a key forward yet.

Maybe a bad idea but worth a shot.

What do you think.
Yuck

Our big backs are the best they have been in a long time with the addition of (a fit) Alex Silvagni and the revelation that is Liam Jones, along with the mediums Lachie Plowman and Jacob Writering. Caleb Marchbank seems solid as well.

A big bodied skilled forward is one of the things we are missing and possibly Sam Rowe could fill that void. He is built like a brick shithouse and can take a mark over head or at least bring the ball to ground and also is a much better kick than Casboult.

Play Levi more as a link player up the ground. I know we have been sending weitering up forward too I just don't see him as a key forward yet.

Maybe a bad idea but worth a shot.

What do you think.

Not the worst idea, especially if it pushes Levi further up the ground to play a type of Leigh Brown role and not expected to kick goals. Harry McKay needs time up forward though but like Joe Daniher in his first few seasons McKay playing more as third tall from pocket might be the go just for 2018. Rowe only has a year in him or two at best. The only snag is, there is still some chance someone like a Kerr or Jack Silvagni is better suited to be used more as a full forward type than a flanker type and prefer we not be stopping players develop in their best position for long term. Rowe is not our future so at this stage of his career he just needs to fit in with best that balances the needs of where we aim to be in two or three years time as a team.

Rowe is too slow for full forward.
He will only get games if jones, silvagni are injured as the 3rd fullback option or if casboult and mackay are injured as the 3rd fullforward option

Does this really warrant a stand alone thread? Yes I know what's rich coming from me.. But really, there could be 1,000s of possible strategies...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back