Opinion Likely Best 22 2018 (revisited)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get the interest in Lever by Melbourne (Adelaide has said that is his club of choice).
Isn't their back line pretty good?
They want to play one of the MacDonalds forward like they tried against us, so Lever would still be playing the same role there

They want to play one of the MacDonalds forward like they tried against us, so Lever would still be playing the same role there

Why don't they just play Hogan and Watts forward? Worked pretty well when they got a full year together in 2016.

Why don't they just play Hogan and Watts forward? Worked pretty well when they got a full year together in 2016.
My guess is they want to turn MacDonald into forward/relief ruck

They've already got Pederson and Watts (if they keep him) for that.

Sounds like they're trying to fill holes that aren't there.
You maybe right there, but l think they don't mind if watts leaves and probably don't see Peterson as the long term solution either

You maybe right there, but l think they don't mind if watts leaves and probably don't see Peterson as the long term solution either

They're welcome to do what they like, but I don't see gaining Lever, losing Watts, and moving T. McDonald permanently forward as really improving Melbourne's side overall.

Neither T. McDonald nor Hogan are quite suited to the true CHF role, and McDonald is a better backman than forward. Kind of puts them in that Geelong position of having one good big forward (Hawkins/Hogan), hoping that random pinch-hitting success plays out over a full season (Taylor/McDonald), a talented but inconsistent smaller forward riding along (Menzel/Garlett), and probably having to rob Peter to pay Paul from your midfield (Dangerfield/Petracca) to kick a score.

I don't get the interest in Lever by Melbourne (Adelaide has said that is his club of choice).
Isn't their back line pretty good?
They dreaming of getting a Jeremy Howe type in their back line.

What if we actually shifted Darcy Moore to the backline in 2018 and had Mason Cox as the sole big forward?? I know there are a lot of Cox haters out there but he wont be beaten above his head and even if he spoiled by the opposition it will be brought to ground where we can have manic pressure at his feet. Worked with Reiwoldt being the only key tall this year at the Tiges.

Back line consisting of: (Mix of speed, line breaking and intercept marking options here)
Maynard, Dunne/Reid, Langdon
Crisp, Moore, Howe

Forward line consists of: (strong lead up forwards, manic pressure, lock it in)
Elliott, Goldsack??, Fasolo,
Kirby, Cox, Daicos

Moore groomed as the CHB as I believe he is a more natural backman and McClarty groomed to take over Reid/Dunne. Moore and McClarty our key defensive posts for the next decade.

Leaves the forward line more attacking and more manic pressure. Goldsack is the other tall but is a lock-in forward who if doesn't take the mark the second and third efforts will keep the ball locked in. Kirby and Daicos for the pressure at the feet of Cox but need to see Elliott and Fasolo lift their pressure or be replaced by Brown.

Go after Lynch next year!!

Last edited:
What if we actually shifted Darcy Moore to the backline in 2018 and had Mason Cox as the sole big forward?? I know there are a lot of Cox haters out there but he wont be beaten above his head and even if he spoiled by the opposition it will be brought to ground where we can have manic pressure at his feet. Worked with Reiwoldt being the only key tall this year at the Tiges.

Back line consisting of: (Mix of speed, line breaking and intercept marking options here)
Maynard, Dunne/Reid, Langdon
Crisp, Moore, Howe

Forward line consists of: (strong lead up forwards, manic pressure, lock it in)
Elliott, Goldsack??, Fasolo,
Kirby, Cox, Daicos

Moore groomed as the CHB as I believe he is a more natural backman and McClarty groomed to take over Reid/Dunne. Moore and McClarty our key defensive posts for the next decade.

Leaves the forward line more attacking and more manic pressure. Goldsack is the other tall but is a lock-in forward who if doesn't take the mark the second and third efforts will keep the ball locked in. Kirby and Daicos for the pressure at the feet of Cox but need to see Elliott and Fasolo lift their pressure or be replaced by Brown.

Go after Lynch next year!!
You are not seriously saying Cox could play the same way or role as Jack. Jack is a natural footballer he has a better tank pace and footy IQ. Cox will never get to as many contest as Jack does

You are not seriously saying Cox could play the same way or role as Jack. Jack is a natural footballer he has a better tank pace and footy IQ. Cox will never get to as many contest as Jack does

Definitely not saying that Cox is like Jack as you are right, Riewoldt is more mobile and has the tank and more weapons at his disposal. But he runs up and down and out of the forward 50. Keep Cox in the 50.

I do think Cox can create contests from his height with the ball coming in the forward line. His height will give us a massive advantage against key defenders trying to spoil and outmark. Even if they do spoil within 30 metres from goal I would be hopeful we can apply that manic pressure to lock it in.

Definitely not saying that Cox is like Jack as you are right, Riewoldt is more mobile and has the tank and more weapons at his disposal. But he runs up and down and out of the forward 50. Keep Cox in the 50.

I do think Cox can create contests from his height with the ball coming in the forward line. His height will give us a massive advantage against key defenders trying to spoil and outmark. Even if they do spoil within 30 metres from goal I would be hopeful we can apply that manic pressure to lock it in.

What annoys me is the perception when Cox is forward the ball just rebounds straight out. Ive never seen a big guy so competent below his knees, I think peoples views are tainted by Cloke in his last few years at the pies. Cox will give a lot more than Clokey did.

Cox is all about the clever little tap ons or foot to ball on the ground when it hits the ground, can take a decent grab too.

Perception of this guy from some supporters is so warped.

The problem is that Goldsack can't mark.

Langdon would be a better option as an undersized centre half forward in my opinion.

That said, I would leave Moore forward anyway.

Langdon Dunn Coffield
Maynard Howe Sinclair

Grundy Treloar Adams
Hoskin De Goey Wells

Pendlebury Moore Elliott
Sidebottom Reid Fasolo

Int
Thomas Phillips Scharenberg Cox

Aish Crisp Wills Varcoe Kirby Crocker Goldsack Greenwood Broomhead
Ross Brown Paton Farrell Daniels Brown Daicos McLarty McCarthy

Off: Ramsay Smith Oxley Blair Mayne White Keeffe Schade Sier Mackie Lynch

Picks: 6 37 55 60 79 97

Draft: Coffield Ross Farrell Daniels Paton T Brown Rookie Rookie Rookie Rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Jeremy Howe - Lynden Dunn - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Ben Reid - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Jordan De Goey - Daniel Wells
HF: Steele Sidebottom - Darcy Moore - Will Hoskin-Elliott
F: Alex Fasolo - Mason Cox - Jamie Elliott
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Taylor Adams
I: Tom Phillips - Tyson Goldsack - Levi Greenwood - Ben Sinclair

Very handy 22, capable of playing finals in my possibly biased opinion (I'm not one-eyed though, I predicted no finals in 2015 and '17 in my defense)

I think we lack:
- Small lockdown defender - forwards like Garlett and Fantasia played really well against us this year. Sinclair is ideal but he gets injured often
- Forward 50 pressure - very one-sided, that's why I hope the coaching staff go back to 2014 where Goldsack was one of the best defensive forwards in the comp. Sidebottom could also go a long way to fixing this solution if he is played up front. Greenwood is also an option.
- Two-way running midfielders - Adams is really good in this area, and De Goey is developing but we struggle beyond them so Phillips and Greenwood ideally come in as options.
- an established key forward. Moore and Cox don't have the ability to change a game by themselves yet. There's nothing we can really do to fix this at this point.

Very handy 22, capable of playing finals in my possibly biased opinion (I'm not one-eyed though, I predicted no finals in 2015 and '17 in my defense)

I think we lack:
- Small lockdown defender - forwards like Garlett and Fantasia played really well against us this year. Sinclair is ideal but he gets injured often
- Forward 50 pressure - very one-sided, that's why I hope the coaching staff go back to 2014 where Goldsack was one of the best defensive forwards in the comp. Sidebottom could also go a long way to fixing this solution if he is played up front. Greenwood is also an option.
- Two-way running midfielders - Adams is really good in this area, and De Goey is developing but we struggle beyond them so Phillips and Greenwood ideally come in as options.
- an established key forward. Moore and Cox don't have the ability to change a game by themselves yet. There's nothing we can really do to fix this at this point.

Agree with everything including the side notes

Only change id make is Varcoe in for Phillips. Varcoe is massively underrated , makes a difference when in

Agree with everything including the side notes

Only change id make is Varcoe in for Phillips. Varcoe is massively underrated , makes a difference when in
Varcoe didn't do enough for me when he played. He lacks the defensive game of Phillips and I think we have better rebounding options from defensive 50 in Crisp and Maynard. Having him as depth is a compliment to the team in my eyes.

Collingwood Futures Market with Balta

B. Scharenberg McLarty Langdon
HB. Howe Reid Maynard
C. Sidebottom Pendlebury (c) Adams
HF. Hoskin-Elliot Moore Wells
F. Elliott Cox Kirby
R. Grundy Treloar De Goey
I. Balta Phillips Sier Daicos

I think we lack:
I do think now Elliott has more confidence in his body you will see him lift his output. It was something he prided himself on when he came to the club

I think we lack:
I'd switch Greenwood and Sinclair for Kirby and Varcoe.

PRE TRADE/DRAFT

Maynard Dunn Goldsack
Langdon Howe Sinclair

Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Hoskin Sidebottom Treloar

De Goey Reid Wells
Fasolo Moore Elliott

Crisp Phillips Scharenberg Cox

But I hope 2019 looks like this

Maynard McClarty Coffield
Langdon Howe Scharenberg

Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Hoskin Sidebottom Treloar

Brown Moore De Goey
Elliott Lynch Daicos

Wells Crisp Phillips Cox

I think we lack:

This side looks good on paper, but the problem with it is that there are too many sub par disposal players in that team, plus its one paced.
The team needs at least a couple of elite ball users, preferably off half back, and a quick with above average disposal, and another KPP. Moore should be floating across half forward, even getting up to the wing.

B: J Howe L Dunn T Goldsack
HB: T Langdon S McLarty B Maynard

C:S Sidebottom A Treloar W Hoskin-Elliot
R: B Grundy T Adams S Pendlebury

HF: J Elliot B Reid D Moore
F: J De Goey M Cox A Fasolo

Int: D Wells J Crisp T Varcoe C Brown

I would love to see Moore develop into a high running half-forward, he's also incredibly elusive with the ability to run from end to end. Reid can play forward and create space for Elliot and Fasolo to kick goals. De Goey probably starts forward with his ability to take a mark and make something happen.

I like the idea of Varcoe and Wells coming off the bench, combined the two have played near 500 AFL games, their experience will help reassure the message from the coach from the boundary when they come on to the field.

C Brown gets a position in the side but it's a line ball decision to play him instead of Daicos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back