News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

No sure why the angst at Adelaide for banning Lever from attending their B&F.

Adelaide invested in Lever and he absolutely shat on them by pissing off in a terrible manner. Lever disrupted most of the back end of their season and now has the gall to act like he is a free agent after only three years at the club by "selecting" a club he wants to play for. If Lever wanted to do the right thing by the Crows he should have said he'd be happy to move to any of the nine based Melbourne clubs which compensates the Crows best.

I'm sure if Lever did that he may have been welcome at the Crows.

Yeah, it seems childish or petty on the surface, but when a player says staight up, "I want out, and by the way, get a deal done with this particular club" you can't expect a whole lotta love. It is also being levelled at the club administration, but it is possible that a dozen players said "We don't want this campaigner to come". You'd have to respect the loyal players on their night.
It was reported as a ban, but it might have been handled with a bit more sensitivity than is reported. Maybe they said "Mate, probably best you don't come. Under the circumstances, you won't be welcome". Reasonable I reckon.

Adelaide invested in Lever and he absolutely shat on them by pissing off in a terrible manner. Lever disrupted most of the back end of their season and now has the gall to act like he is a free agent after only three years at the club by "selecting" a club he wants to play for. If Lever wanted to do the right thing by the Crows he should have said he'd be happy to move to any of the nine based Melbourne clubs which compensates the Crows best.
Melbourne have tabled a huge offer for Lever. If no other Melbourne based club will go near it, then the Crows can negotiate with every other club in the country, Lever still won't accept the trade. Effectively all players are free agents these days once they're off contract. This is the reality of AFL these days.

We know this better than any club. Unfortunately we've missed out on the benefits of it because the highly rated players who want to come to Brisbane seem to decide they want to move while they're contracted!!

But its only expensive for the next two years. I tend to think that not signing rocky was related to the fact that we didn't want to commit that sort of money to a what will be 30-31 year old mid who has played 18, 16, 17 and 20 games through a raft of injuries in the last 4 years at a time when we will have a lot of young rising talent looking for new contracts. I certainly think if it was a matter of dollars int he first 2 years we could have afforded him and may have done so, but if you project further forward then there are other considerations.

As mentioned too, Rocky doesn't accelerate the growth of our backline in a hybrid coaching role. I look at hodge's contract as two parts. One part playing and one part coaching. If we're paying him $350K to play and 150K to coach then its not the end of the world. The bonus is we get to count it under our salary cap, which we'd currently have room over the next two years as opposed to the footy dept spending soft cap.

On that basis as an overall picture its not that bad really.
I'm not 100% sold on this logic. 2 years at 500k is a lot for a guy who's probably got half a season in him. It's probably what we have to pay to get Hodge up here, but let's not pretend there's no risk involved. If we're serious about sticking within certain limits contract wise, it should be a Mitchell style deal or nothing.
Yeah, it seems childish or petty on the surface, but when a player says staight up, "I want out, and by the way, get a deal done with this particular club" you can't expect a whole lotta love. It is also being levelled at the club administration, but it is possible that a dozen players said "We don't want this campaigner to come". You'd have to respect the loyal players on their night.
It was reported as a ban, but it might have been handled with a bit more sensitivity than is reported. Maybe they said "Mate, probably best you don't come. Under the circumstances, you won't be welcome". Reasonable I reckon.
They probably needed to keep him away to avoid any Tex related incidents, I'm sure he would've had a nice 'Jake Lever is a dog campaigner' speech planned out.

There are some ratbags calling themselves football journalists, but Tony Sheahan is on a whole other level. Check out his Twitter and recent Las Vegas shooting nut job conspiracy theories.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TonySheahan

According to Tony - although he's pretty incoherent, so he's hard to follow - the shootings were a 'false flag' attack with 9-11 overtones to help the Australian gov push through new security legislation.

Fair to say that our Tone loves a good story better than, say, common sense or basic fact checking.

No sure why the angst at Adelaide for banning Lever from attending their B&F.

I thought Adelaide were well within their rights to advise Lever (via his manager by the sounds of it) not to attend. Guessing it's one of those things that supporters of Vic clubs will find a bit tougher to understand.

I'm happy Hodge is playing on and I can't wait to see the Hawks smash the Lions and Hodge next year.
I'm sure Hodge will really help the club but he is a banged up 33 year old who said he had nothing left in the tank.

I'm happy Hodge is playing on and I can't wait to see the Hawks smash the Lions and Hodge next year.
I'm sure Hodge will really help the club but he is a banged up 33 year old who said he had nothing left in the tank.

2mzlhzm.jpg

It's ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we can guarantee it will be in Tassie because you have travelled to Brisbane once in ten years. Don't think the Hawks will be smashing too many teams in the next few years. They will cop a few though.

Banged up yes. But we can't say no, for just a pick in the 70s, for your third best player on your list according to b&f results ;)

Banged up yes. But we can't say no, for just a pick in the 70s, for your third best player on your list according to b&f results ;)

Really all we have to do is nurse him to 100 Lions games so his kids are eligible to us under father/son rules.

Your post is a therapists picnic Sarebare.

Really all we have to do is nurse him to 100 Lions games so his kids are eligible to us under father/son rules.
What, play for another 5 or 6 years.

Or we just keep Hodge around as an assistant coach for 6 odd years with his eldest kid in our academy. Becomes an academy selection then. Like Nick Blakey at the Swans and Bailey Scott at the Suns.

Off season daydreaming - could we get 50 games out of Hodge if we / he manage it right?
18 games next year. He does a lot of pointing and will sort out your backline, Still has the skills, just don't leave him one on one near the goals as he has no closing speed and can't jump. He will still be the second best player on your list.
15 games in 2019.
Once Hodgey nuts out a deal with Ch7 and Lions to keep him commentating regularly, you will get him for next to nothing.

You see that with a lot of older or retiring players. Their drive disappears as the season comes to an end. Only reappears if/when they join a new club or announce a comeback. There is no way someone as ridiculously talented and tough as Hodge can just show up and play s**t football. Doesn't work that way.

You see that with a lot of older or retiring players. Their drive disappears as the season comes to an end. Only reappears if/when they join a new club or announce a comeback. There is no way someone as ridiculously talented and tough as Hodge can just show up and play s**t football. Doesn't work that way.
Skills remain, but the speed and athleticism decline. It's rarely about playing s**t football, but more about that they can't keep up with the game and no amount of elite skills can compensate for not being able to get in the right position time and again, keep up with a bloke 10 years your junior, or out compete the opposition at the contest.

Your post is a therapists picnic Sarebare.
SAREBARE. Talk s**t about my team but I draw the line at Sarebare...
But yes therapists love my hypocritical ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Back