Opinion Review of past decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Been saying for ages get rid of Tim Gepp, He is a cancer been there too long, Nisbetts mate, look at Richmond made hard calls last season got rid of Mark Williams and look at them now

Williams was hardly their issue, they just realised that you have to work bloody hard to win games of footy. Their list is no better than our list, they just work a hell of a lot harder.
We are a club that gets off on winning enough games to keep the majority happy, our players don’t work hard, they would not sacrifice themselves for their team mates. Richmond do these things and got the ultimate reward.
We can trade and draft players until we are blue in the face but one thing we can’t do is trade and draft, guts, sacrifice, work ethic and total commitment and that is what we need more than anything else.

Their list is no better than our list, they just work a hell of a lot harder.
We are a club that gets off on winning enough games to keep the majority happy, our players don’t work hard, they would not sacrifice themselves for their team mates. Richmond do these things and got the ultimate reward.
We can trade and draft players until we are blue in the face but one thing we can’t do is trade and draft, guts, sacrifice, work ethic and total commitment and that is what we need more than anything else.

Bingo :thumbsu: .

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Spot on greatwhiteshark

We are no less talented than Richmond but we don't have many on our list that will chase and tackle with the same manic desperation as both the Doggies did in 2016 and the Tigers did this year.

What makes it worse is that we keep playing players who don't do the hard stuff and cant perform with the required level of physicality.
What was it that Daniel Rioli had written on his wrist ???...... Was it kick goals ????? nope.... It was " Run and Chase".

Le Cras wont chase so he leaves the gate open for rebounding defenders to escape.
Masten cant lay a tackle yet he keeps getting games.
Jetta only switches on when he wants to and wont wok hard enough defensively, he too leaves the gate open.
Wellingham wont give a sustained four quarter effort.

Our game plan is one that focuses of corralling bruise free football then add that the fact that we lack leg speed and we get picked apart way to often.

Bingo :thumbsu: .

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Spot on greatwhiteshark

We are no less talented than Richmond but we don't have many on our list that will chase and tackle with the same manic desperation as both the Doggies did in 2016 and the Tigers did this year.

What makes it worse is that we keep playing players who don't do the hard stuff and cant perform with the required level of physicality.
What was it that Daniel Rioli had written on his wrist ???...... Was it kick goals ????? nope.... It was " Run and Chase".

Le Cras wont chase so he leaves the gate open for rebounding defenders to escape.
Masten cant lay a tackle yet he keeps getting games.
Jetta only switches on when he wants to and wont wok hard enough defensively, he too leaves the gate open.
Wellingham wont give a sustained four quarter effort.

Our game plan is one that focuses of corralling bruise free football then add that the fact that we lack leg speed and we get picked apart way to often.

Not one of those 4 players you mentioned mate would get a game in Richmond’s side based on how they decided to go about their business. You can add quite a few more to the list as well.
The one thing supporters don’t mind is losing when you have a fair dinkum crack at it, when you see players do things out of character but for the team is when you know you are heading in the right direction. We just don’t see it at the Eagles and even worse we give pass marks to players like Jetta who work hard for 10 minutes out of the 100. The club rewards them as well by keeping on playing them.
We have been a next year club for some time now, next year once he has played more games he will be better, next year as he is coming off an injury, next year if we get player x.
Whether you have played 1 game or a hundred games does not stop you tackling, chasing, going where angels fear to tread. Everyone can do this stuff, it’s either you want to or don’t want to and at AFL level if you don’t want to you should be moved on.

Not one of those 4 players you mentioned mate would get a game in Richmond’s side based on how they decided to go about their business. You can add quite a few more to the list as well.

Agree and a player like Jackson Nelson who has limited talent but has a genuine hunger for the contest , competes till he drops, will take one for the team and hates to lose .
Thats the sort of player they turn into a starting 22 player, because he can follow and execute the game plan..... just do your job as asked to , if everyone does that ( like they do at Richmond ) then team success lies around the corner.

We have to many passengers and even worse; some who are just hitchhiking a free ride.

I agree that mentally there are players who are just happy playing afl and getting a nice pay.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ross Lyon said as much. There are teams and players that just cruise a long and have a nice career in the AFL not concerned about winning and then there are those that are in it to win flags. I think our club is still deciding which one it is.

Read somewhere:

"Offence wins memberships... Defence wins premierships"

Maybe we should live by that for a bit

Manic pressure, run and good disposal skills wins flags imho, or more succinctly the basics of football you are taught in under 9's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is why, where and how we were beaten.

There is a big difference between work rate/effort and ability. I don't doubt our blokes effort and desire. We played/play players in the most important mid positions who just don't have speed+running ability. And were satisfied for them to get bullshit 30 stats as if that meant success.

We've got blokes who can do this IF we PLAY them!! Again go watch the Hawks final where Priddis was out too. And before you start about me Priddis bashing.. in this thread is it's been talked about our weakness and searching for answers. The conclusion being being it is effort. mongrel and hunger..etc. And bashing on players for the lack there of. Which is the same old basic banging on auto-response to losing.. Your looking in the wrong place.

Last edited:
I agree that mentally there are players who are just happy playing afl and getting a nice pay.

Ross Lyon said as much. There are teams and players that just cruise a long and have a nice career in the AFL not concerned about winning and then there are those that are in it to win flags. I think our club is still deciding which one it is.

Kochie thread for those banned on BigKochie.

Manic pressure, run and good disposal skills wins flags imho, or more succinctly the basics of football you are taught in under 9's.
the last two flag winners lol at the bolded part

Don't need good disposal skills, just need manic pressure at the right time of the year

If you look at the big picture, in the last 10 years we have

1/10 Grand Final appearance
2/10 Top 4
5/10 Top 8

So we are pretty much bang on the average, and considering the first 3 years of that included a 15th, 11th and 16th, it hasn't turned out horrible.

Obviously been frustrating, but I don't think there's been any season where I thought we would win it all (so can't really fault that we didn't). We've had years we've under achieved, and years were we have gone better than expected.

So, I'm really not sure what to take from it :p

2jfj31f.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back