"Family Reasons" will it become an overuse term?

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the modern AFL era, "family reasons" = good enough player to be poached by interstate clubs.

Will it become an overuse term? Discuss.

*in oath it will be.

It's funny how players talk about how small their window for earning is (despite the fact there are now a multitude of jobs available post career) and yet they can't spend 10 years living in another state from their EXTENDED families.

I'm already up to 7 but I keep in touch with family by taking trips home to see them on holidays and other irregular times.

Players are well paid enough to fly almost at will home and don't give me crap about clubs not letting them - if a club wants to retain a player who genuinely cannot live away without flying home every second weekend then they will accommodate that.

Also I think we need to be a bit RUTHLESS. Players shouldn't just get to demand a move home, and clubs be made to feel guilty for keeping them to contracts. That's starting to creep in a little bit.

Also Skype is ******* amazing for keeping families close. Clue up, jocks.

'Family reasons' actually means a club from the state I would prefer to live in has offered me a deal too good to refuse.

Most of these players nominate a club as they already have an offer. if you really want to go home for family reasons and not money/long term contract, tell the club you are signed with, to trade you to any club in that state so they can get the best deal......

I like how when player say they want to go back home, they choose a particular team...

If you want to go home, name your price, and any team in that state can trade for you. I mean, you're home with your family.

It's weird how some people describe certain players as wanting to go home on compassionate reasons ie. Charlie Cameron. Is someone sick or does he just want to go home like everyone else?

Feels like media is more sympathetic to certain players wants based on ... I don't know what..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you rather them just come out and say living in Adelaide is s**t and so is the football club?
Nice try to get a laugh. Do you think "family reasons" only apply to players leaving Adelaide and not affecting other clubs?

Also I think we need to be a bit RUTHLESS. Players shouldn't just get to demand a move home, and clubs be made to feel guilty for keeping them to contracts. That's starting to creep in a little bit.

if you sign a contract for a job you can leave whenever you want. the AFL are on shaky ground already with the way they try to enforce contracts. Eventually someone will take it court (like Tippett was going to)

Nice try to get a laugh. Do you think "family reasons" only apply to players leaving Adelaide and not affecting other clubs?
Yes.

Gibbs at Carlton, Ablett at GCS...I'm sure there are a few others..
Try and do some research next time. Cheers!
sticker,375x360.u1.png

2 years interstate from my family & I left them the same age these guys do via the draft and on less than half of their 70-100k wage...

Man up.
Or they could just go where they want that makes them happy and probably earn even more money. Sure they'll never man up, but hey.

Would you rather them just come out and say living in Adelaide is s**t and so is the football club?

Sorry how are your massive deals going?

At least we attract as many as we lose...

You just delist club stalwarts and attract absolutely no talent of value.

It's weird how some people describe certain players as wanting to go home on compassionate reasons ie. Charlie Cameron. Is someone sick or does he just want to go home like everyone else?

Feels like media is more sympathetic to certain players wants based on ... I don't know what..

I think generally the media know of something, but wouldn't want to make it public to cause further problems.

if you sign a contract for a job you can leave whenever you want. the AFL are on shaky ground already with the way they try to enforce contracts. Eventually someone will take it court (like Tippett was going to)

Sydney should take him to court for accepting money for no work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back