Rumour Fas was rumoured to be heading back to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

We have assumed Fas wants to go back to WA because thats where he is from. He has come out and said he doesn't want to leave Victoria and Collingwood. So what Victorian team is in need of a small, marking goalkicker and what could we realistically get for him?

I'm not arguing that it was a good deal. I fully appreciate how bad it was. But I don't believe for a second it was 500k. I'd back the poster who stated that over the media any day because they're credible in my view. And it would only be 420k if triggers are met which I doubt he's doing. I don't think it's as dire as people believe.

Completely agree here - portraying the club as incompetent on this issue has been a favourite past time for this board.
Reports of 500K base p.a are absurd, and as others have pointed out, relying on the media who have a poor record on salary accuracy, is unwise.

And there is absolutely no doubt there would also have been a substantial performance element ie a win/win for the upper level of the contract.

Last edited:
yeah totally agree. Although, you would like to see more crumbing from Elliot as well rather than continuously flying for the mark. Having said that, that’s probably more his natural game so bringing in a genuine, speedy crumber is obviously the better way to go. Our defensive pressure can be a lot better and doesn’t help our defenders when the opposition brings it out so easily.
Agree absolutely. Faz will stay for a host of reasons, but he he really doesn't apply the defensive pressure we need. That's why Smith would have been mentioned seriously in discussions over the last 4-5 weeks.
When a team wins the ball so well from the back 50 as Collingwood does and then squanders it by:
1. dreadful use inside 50
2. non existent defensive pressure inside 50
it's not surprising we lost so many games whilst looking ok on most of the stats.

Who can be our defensive forwards? I think we need more than one. Can Greenwood play this role consistently?

Agree absolutely. Faz will stay for a host of reasons, but he he really doesn't apply the defensive pressure we need. That's why Smith would have been mentioned seriously in discussions over the last 4-5 weeks.
When a team wins the ball so well from the back 50 as Collingwood does and then squanders it by:
it's not surprising we lost so many games whilst looking ok on most of the stats.

Who can be our defensive forwards? I think we need more than one. Can Greenwood play this role consistently?
If Reid can go back to chb, l would move Goldsack forward to play that defensive forward role.

We have assumed Fas wants to go back to WA because thats where he is from. He has come out and said he doesn't want to leave Victoria and Collingwood. So what Victorian team is in need of a small, marking goalkicker and what could we realistically get for him?
Not going to happen, he wants to stay at Pies..

We have no natural crumbers in the f50 hence the need and over reliance on defensive fwd tactics.

If we had some decent consistant and xfactor crumbing types means we win more ground ball and keep more defenders honest, on top of this if those same crumbers apply pressure when not in possession we get a true good balance in the fwd line.
IMO there is too much focus on defensive acts while completely ignoring why so many spilled balls are swept away by the opposition rather then our fwds roving spills!

This is not to say defensive effort is not needed rather that there is more then 1 issue to look at in our f50 retention/presure.

We have no natural crumbers in the f50 hence the need and over reliance on defensive fwd tactics.

If we had some decent consistant and xfactor crumbing types means we win more ground ball and keep more defenders honest, on top of this if those same crumbers apply pressure when not in possession we get a true good balance in the fwd line.
IMO there is too much focus on defensive acts while completely ignoring why so many spilled balls are swept away by the opposition rather then our fwds roving spills!

This is not to say defensive effort is not needed rather that there is more then 1 issue to look at in our f50 retention/presure.

e4f22be6a03068474fa791d6f4661ad2.jpg

yeah totally agree. Although, you would like to see more crumbing from Elliot as well rather than continuously flying for the mark. Having said that, that’s probably more his natural game so bringing in a genuine, speedy crumber is obviously the better way to go. Our defensive pressure can be a lot better and doesn’t help our defenders when the opposition brings it out so easily.
I reckon everyone is going on fixed ideas with these two. Both of them flew far less in packs this year than they have previously. I reckon the pressure and lack of ground level threat is structural and coaching. We overcrowd the ball, getting too many to the initial ball spill, which means that the opposition have blokes well clear when they get hands on the footy and when we do it's in too much congestion and no one is clear enough for us to do anything

I'm not arguing that it was a good deal. I fully appreciate how bad it was. But I don't believe for a second it was 500k. I'd back the poster who stated that over the media any day because they're credible in my view. And it would only be 420k if triggers are met which I doubt he's doing. I don't think it's as dire as people believe.
Freos compensation suggests otherwise.

Sidey, we have enough mid power to play him hff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

U
You Never 100% Beat Depression but Hopefully he can manage it well for rest of his Life
Unfortunately l know it only to well dave, not the right choice of words.

U

Unfortunately l know it only to well dave, not the right choice of words.

Same Here. I have more Anxiety then Depression but I had that all my Life but I got Tablets and things to Help it Lessen it's Symptoms it has

Same Here. I have more Anxiety then Depression but I had that all my Life but I got Tablets and things to Help it Lessen it's Symptoms it has
My daughter has it, at times bad, and l did not know much about it till then, then when l had to leave the work force early l found out myself all about it.
A terrible disease

And you started following Collingwood because you thought it would be a nice stress free past time? ;)

I mostly Started(In 2005) Year after my Pop Died. For something to go out and Do something as I stay home a lot.

My daughter has it, at times bad, and l did not know much about it till then, then when l had to leave the work force early l found out myself all about it.
A terrible disease

I had some Terrible Epsiodes in Fact in 2005 and 2012/2013 I was that I could not even go on the Computer/Internet for some months

Anxiety is a real bitch. Not talked about as much as depression, although they often go hand in hand. Can be crippling. Glad you've got something in your life that's helping. :)

Freos compensation suggests otherwise.

But Freo's compo would reflect the maximum possible payment stipulated in the contract so still does nothing to clarify the composition of that payment in terms of base level and performance bonuses, or if in fact it is front loaded. It's also enhanced by the length of the contract offered.

But Freo's compo would reflect the maximum possible payment stipulated in the contract so still does nothing to clarify the composition of that payment in terms of base level and performance bonuses, or if in fact it is front loaded. It's also enhanced by the length of the contract offered.

Are you sure? Or are you just wanting to believe that we didn't stuff up as much as it appears?

I reckon he's on big money. I'm going with Freo's large compensation, press reports, and Bucks's extraordinary comments at the end of the year.

Are you sure? Or are you just wanting to believe that we didn't stuff up as much as it appears?

I reckon he's on big money. I'm going with Freo's large compensation, press reports, and Bucks's extraordinary comments at the end of the year.

I doubt he's on big money (somewhere between $420-500k) for the duration of the 4 years, think it's front loaded and declines after year 1. But, you could well be right, it's all as clear as mud. Who would be the 10 players at Collingwood within the top 25% (as mentioned below) and what is their guestimated salary?

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-Free-Agency-Infograhpic.pdf

COMPO BASED ON A FORMULA

1. Age of player
2. New contract: Base value, ASA
3. Other benefits: Car, flights, accom etc

COMPENSATION MAY BE TRADED

Although I'm not sure what an ASA is. Uses the same "base value" as the determination of the top 25% (8-10 players) earners at a club.

That would be the most easily exploitable thing in the world.

"We'll pay you an extra 5 million if you receive 3 brownlow votes every game" > Opposition team automatically get best possible compo rather than needing to trade for it.

You Never 100% Beat Depression but Hopefully he can manage it well for rest of his Life
A couple of flags would help in that area.
I think we should ensure that win a couple...maybe more...for Fas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back