List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon have not done well this trade period IMO. Usually getting the likes of Smith and Saad would be great but Essendon already have a **** load of players similar to them.. all pace and skill but no grunt. Their biggest-bodied midfielder is Heppell and even Bomber fans acknowledge he lacks grunt. It's what they lacked all year and they've done diddly squat to remedy it.

Allir was rubbish in the NEAFL, Hayward played 17 games and is just 18yrs old Florent played 9 games and didnt really have much of a impact but did a few classy things he also just turned 19.

What more did you want from a 18yr old and a 19yr old? nothing indicates to me that Horse held them back or anything.

I didn't say he held them back (though I think he did with Aliir.) I said going into 2018, if they lift a little more as most of us expect them to, then I'd much rather play them and increase our chances of making them solid players, than keep persisting with Cunningham, Towers, Sinclair etc. who have reached their ceilings and hardly been impressive. Otherwise we do the same thing all over again in 2018 expecting a different result. Don't they call that insanity?

Essendon have not done well this trade period IMO. Usually getting the likes of Smith and Saad would be great but Essendon already have a **** load of players similar to them.. all pace and skill but no grunt. Their biggest-bodied midfielder is Heppell and even Bomber fans acknowledge he lacks grunt. It's what they lacked all year and they've done diddly squat to remedy it.
When we beat them by 11 goals in the final, the contested possessions were 136-132 our way, hardly seemed to be their issue. However our "grunt" levels were on full display against Geelong so maybe you have a point

Neither club is has imo Geelong is significantly weaker heading into 2018, Adelaide lost Cameron and Lever, Port failed to beat a top 8 side this year Rockcliff is just a fantasy player high possessions and doesn't do much with it.

Richmond will do another Bulldogs.

When we beat them by 11 goals in the final, the contested possessions were 136-132 our way, hardly seemed to be their issue. However our "grunt" levels were on full display against Geelong so maybe you have a point

And yet they got spanked by us. Because we shut down their time and space and so all their fleet footed runners became irrelevant.

Neither club is has imo Geelong is significantly weaker heading into 2018, Adelaide lost Cameron and Lever, Port failed to beat a top 8 side this year Rockcliff is just a fantasy player high possessions and doesn't do much with it.

Disagree re Adelaide. They have a plethora of solid defenders so wouldn't surprise me if Lever's absence wasn't felt for long. And some of their fans were calling for Cameron to be dropped anyway at times this year. I reckon they'll be similarly placed next year (having a decent captain would help them)

Disagree re Adelaide. They have a plethora of solid defenders so wouldn't surprise me if Lever's absence wasn't felt for long. And some of their fans were calling for Cameron to be dropped anyway at times this year. I reckon they'll be similarly placed next year (having a decent captain would help them)

Lever was probably their best player in the GF.

You are wrong about Rocky

Haha i actually don't mind Marsh and think he's perfectly serviceable. I just don't think he could be elite like Hayward, Florent, Dawson and my boy Aliir

Haha yeah just a gee up. Of the mediocre players on our list - Towers, Sinclair, Cunners, Robinson, Laidler before he retired - Big Swamp is defs my fav

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Smart. 33 is a bit of a lottery. They have proven AFL talent ready to go now.
Pick 33 is **** all. The average career games for someone picked in that range is ~50. Impey is an established footballer who has already played 75 in 4 years

Pick 33 is **** all. The average career games for someone picked in that range is ~50. Impey is an established footballer who has already played 75 in 4 years
He's averaged less than 12 disposals a game and 0.5 goals per game. Is he really worth anything more just cause he's played 75 games. Pick 33 seems overs if anything.

Alright unpopular opinion time regarding Schache and Cameron. I don't hold anything against any player who wishes to go home because of homesickness. You have to remember these kids are drafted at 18/19, some straight out of high school. When they're presented with the opportunity at their dream career, what teenager wouldn't take it? But that's where professional sport is different to most other careers. In nearly every other field, you don't usually get your shot at your absolute dream job until you've been in the work place for a decent amount of time, and the opportunities that come with big decisions - such as working interstate - don't come until at least your mid to late 20's. By that point in your life and career you're certainly more well prepared for a decision like that than you are as a starry-eyed teenager.

Just because some flourish and can handle being away from their families, doesn't mean everyone is built the same. Just feels very easy for us to sit and judge these kids on the decisions they make but they're under a world of pressure that most other people their age wouldn't understand. IMO they need to prepare these kids better PRIOR to being drafted, to make sure they're absolutely certain it's the path they want to go. We can't just throw them off the deep end sink or swim then turn around and critique/judge them because they sink.
Call me a sceptic but I disagree, personnally I think the increase in claims of 'homesickness' is an unforeseen consequence of the introduction of free agency. Clubs have seen how the systems works in their favour when a player 'nominates' their club of choice. I totally understand that their will always be a some intances of homesickness, but the ever increasing number of players who now are claiming homesickness then miracuously nominating their club of choice says to me that there is at the very least some but more likely a large degree of clubs actually approaching and enticing players who then request a trade under the claim of 'homesickness'

Call me a sceptic but I disagree, personnally I think the increase in claims of 'homesickness' is an unforeseen consequence of the introduction of free agency. Clubs have seen how the systems works in their favour when a player 'nominates' their club of choice. I totally understand that their will always be a some intances of homesickness, but the ever increasing number of players who now are claiming homesickness then miracuously nominating their club of choice says to me that there is at the very least some but more likely a large degree of clubs actually approaching and enticing players who then request a trade under the claim of 'homesickness'

Possibly. There's a lot to take into account though when trying to understand a players motives for a move, so I just feel we can't be so quick to judge them without knowing the full story.

Allir was rubbish in the NEAFL

Maybe you have a different definition of rubbish but I didn't see any game he was bottom 5. not every game gets to youtube of course but around mid year in defense he had some great games and later on as a ruck and a forward he still competed well and always contributed.

regardless i think looking at reserves form in isolation doesn't always give the full scope. some players just perform better in the higher grade and the more senior game time for Aliir the better at this point I reckon. I think some have unrealistic expectations after a great debut season.

Impy for pick 33 and swap of picks is a good get imo

Hawks done ok there
Poor ole Tich - Hawks are going nowhere fast.
He's welcome to come back for our first rounder imo. Any given year he wants to (probably the year after Horse gets put out to pasture - or the knackery.)

Watched some clips of Cameron Rayner likely 1st pick, god dayum that kid is going to be a freak. Would hands down trade 14+ hanners for Brisbanes first pick

Hanners and 14? Id want dusty or patty back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back