Universal Love Welcome to Hawthorn: Jarman Impey extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The reason I believe we overpaid is that the hawks chased him.
I know it doesn't appear much but we got to get some picks in as we essentially lost the 1st pick hawks had.
Now to start the draft in the 40's....
Time will tell I thought a single pick out would've been enough to get Impey in.

Can someone tell me the last time someone cheaply attained a contracted 22 year old that was highly rated by the club trading him and club trading for him, who has already played 75 games at the top level and was highly regarded by the team chasing him in his draft year also??

The future fourth was probably a bit of frosting for Port, but he was required and contracted so them's the breaks. People saying we should have got him for a pick in the 60s need to take the brown and gold blinkers off.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
The late picks don’t mean much.

Fourth round? Pffft. Means nothing. It’s a pick in he 60s or 70s

So it’s pick 33 and a six pick downgrade.

Six pick downgrade at that end is also of no real consequence.

So we paid pick 33 and a little bit more. Too much in my view but please don’t be all ZOMG SO MANY PICKS. It’s classic GW pick shuffling at the end so everyone feels good even though it doesn’t change anything.

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!
Can someone tell me the last time someone cheaply attained a contracted 22 year old that was highly rated by the club trading him and club trading for him, who has already played 75 games at the top level and was highly regarded by the team chasing him in his draft year also??

We probably paid a similar price to what Richmond did to obtain the contracted Josh Caddy.

The deal

Caddy + 56

for

24 + 64

Unfortunately, Impey ain't no Caddy.

Breustiful

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Preston Makedonia, West Brom

The future fourth was probably a bit of frosting for Port, but he was required and contracted so them's the breaks. People saying we should have got him for a pick in the 60s need to take the brown and gold blinkers off.
Or possibly Port wanted to trade him just as much as Hawthorn wanted him as they needed to make room in the cap for Watts, Rockliff and potentially Motlop.
Can't imagine Impey was on much but still would help.

The late picks don’t mean much.

Fourth round? Pffft. Means nothing. It’s a pick in he 60s or 70s

So it’s pick 33 and a six pick downgrade.

Six pick downgrade at that end is also of no real consequence.

So we paid pick 33 and a little bit more. Too much in my view but please don’t be all ZOMG SO MANY PICKS. It’s classic GW pick shuffling at the end so everyone feels good even though it doesn’t change anything.

But, but, but the picks in equalled 750 points vs points out of 905 points, so if you work out the square root of the differential it equals me being angry!!!

Or possibly Port wanted to trade him just as much as Hawthorn wanted him as they needed to make room in the cap for Watts, Rockliff and potentially Motlop.
Can't imagine Impey was on much but still would help.

Trengove was probably on more and is already out. They have had two retirements and Ah Chee is leaving also. I think salary cap would have little to do with this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I doubt too many Port supporters will wish Jars any ill will, he lost his father to cancer earlier this year, and a fresh start will hopefully be good for him.

His speed should excite Hawk's fans, but it is what he does with the ball at the end of those long runs that has been his problem at Port, if Clarko can sort that out he can develop into a very handy player.

Not sure he gets enough of the ball to be a wingman as some have suggested, his best footy at my mob has been as a line breaking defender.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally stoked with this recruitment. Can't see us picking up anyone with this amount of upside in this year draft with pick 33. The other draft swaps ect. are largely irrelevant.

We should all have complete faith when Graeme Wright and Clarko zone in on a player to play an exact role within the team. Impey fills an exact area of need for us. I suspect they probably had him lined up on Draft day but he went 3 picks before Billy.

Last edited:
I doubt too many Port supporters will wish Jars any ill will, he lost his father to cancer earlier this year, and a fresh start will hopefully be good for him.

His speed should excite Hawk's fans, but it is what he does with the ball at the end of those long runs that has been his problem at Port, if Clarko can sort that out he can develop into a very handy player.

Not sure he gets enough of the ball to be a wingman as some have suggested, his best footy at my mob has been as a line breaking defender.

This could be beneficial as it allows Burton or Sicily to possibly move into the middle or up forward. It could also allow Gunston to go back to being a forward. It could also allow Hardwick to go up forward. Overall it makes the squad more versatile.

markr

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think a lot of people massively overrate draft picks. I went back five years to the 2012 draft, since I figure those guys have had enough time to show their wares and looked at players taken around 32:

28 Tim O'Brien
29 Tom Clurey
30 Mason Shaw
31 Kamdyn McIntosh
32 Michael Close
33 Liam McBean
34 Jason Ashby
35 Tom Temay
36 Tanner Smith
37 Ben Jacobs
38 Jackson Ramsay
39 Max Duffy
40 Brodie Murdoch

That's what sort of lottery a late second rounder is. It's not to say you can't get a good player, but if you came out with a guy who five years later was in your regular 22 you'd be doing way better than average. Presumably we think Impey will be in our regular 22, and he's a known entity.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.

Agree, I don't believe we have overpaid for him.
Considering he is only 22, has already played 75 games, has an impressive highlight tape, and was contracted. He also brings aggression, speed, and the ability to do some freakish things. He seems a perfect fit to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back