"Family Reasons" will it become an overuse term?

Remove this Banner Ad

It, like 'homesick' is usually just a polite excuse for why a player wants to leave.

It gets used because 'money' and 'don't like my current club' would just piss off the fans/club that they come from.

That's not to say there aren't genuine cases, but not nearly as many as are claimed.

Its a bit harder to Perth Nana, but not a problem down the east coast.

Well I'll tell you something for nothing, it's a lot easier in business class. My one time experience can very much attest to that. My usual economy trip was horrid yes. While my one time experience is one time, footy players can do it

As someone who recently moved back to Adelaide after a few years living in Melbourne I do understand the family reasons pretty well. When everything is going well in your life it's awesome being interstate but when you hit a few speed humps it's so much easier to have family close by.

As someone who recently moved back to Adelaide after a few years living in Melbourne I do understand the family reasons pretty well. When everything is going well in your life it's awesome being interstate but when you hit a few speed humps it's so much easier to have family close by.

Coming down off that threepeat hits hard I guess.

Guess it can also depend on whether you yourself are independent enough to be able to be by yourself as well. For example I moved from away from my family up in Darwin at 18 to be by myself in Adelaide so not only have I left behind the only people I ever had I also moved somewhere that doesn't have 150k people but 1.25 mill and that is the toughest part imo. I have a job here but after two years I still am struggling to find my feet in terms of where to next in life but I haven't thought about going back to Darwin at all because I can survive.

Would be very useful to be on the salary these guys have.

I've heard Lever had both grandparents pass this year and Mum was/is ill. Haven't seen it confirmed by any news sources and such, but wouldn't be something someone would make up as a rumour surely?

People are naive as * if they think "family reasons" is real. Gets used because it sounds better than "Leaving to get paid more" and "He left because we didn't want to pay him more".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard Lever had both grandparents pass this year and Mum was/is ill. Haven't seen it confirmed by any news sources and such, but wouldn't be something someone would make up as a rumour surely?

It does seem mighty coincidental how often these situations crop up right when players are available to move (contract ending, etc.), and how you never hear anything more about it after the move is completed.

Club loyalty is bullshit peddled by captains who have an unrealistic expectation of other workmates.
It is a job, for a limited time of their life. Think they should be able to make hay while the sunshines without copping flak from supporters, teammates and media.
It has become practice to compensate for this abuse by offering a justification.

Yeah I have no idea why a player would want to go home near there family when they have the opportunity to do so:rolleyes:

kiddies miss their parents nowadays, years ago a good 18 year old had already played 3 to 4 years of hard arse country football before being recruited to the big league. Now you need to run 100 yards in 10 secs. stand jump so high, maybe have a father or uncle who played previously in AFL, rich parent to pay for all the best camps, be Irish, Canadian, or Suntanned, or most importantly have a basketball backround , please bring back the old days, we use to call our national game, Australian rules football , the game for men. ,
Home sick was 4 in the morning after a good win, ya mum rubbing the back of your head saying, it must have been something you ate son, ya dad in the backround saying I drank the same as him luv and I'm fine.
Home sick, harden up ya soft utensils.

****in oath it will be.

It's funny how players talk about how small their window for earning is (despite the fact there are now a multitude of jobs available post career) and yet they can't spend 10 years living in another state from their EXTENDED families.

I'm already up to 7 but I keep in touch with family by taking trips home to see them on holidays and other irregular times.

Players are well paid enough to fly almost at will home and don't give me crap about clubs not letting them - if a club wants to retain a player who genuinely cannot live away without flying home every second weekend then they will accommodate that.

Also I think we need to be a bit RUTHLESS. Players shouldn't just get to demand a move home, and clubs be made to feel guilty for keeping them to contracts. That's starting to creep in a little bit.

Also Skype is ******* amazing for keeping families close. Clue up, jocks.
"I can take living away from my family so that means everyone can"

kiddies miss their parents nowadays, years ago a good 18 year old had already played 3 to 4 years of hard arse country football before being recruited to the big league. Now you need to run 100 yards in 10 secs. stand jump so high, maybe have a father or uncle who played previously in AFL, rich parent to pay for all the best camps, be Irish, Canadian, or Suntanned, or most importantly have a basketball backround , please bring back the old days, we use to call our national game, Australian rules football , the game for men. ,
Home sick was 4 in the morning after a good win, ya mum rubbing the back of your head saying, it must have been something you ate son, ya dad in the backround saying I drank the same as him luv and I'm fine.
Home sick, harden up ya soft utensils.
wtf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back