Saad Ambrose Baguley
McKenna Hooker Hurley
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Tippa Stringer Stewart
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Bellchambers Zerrett Parish
Myers/Goddard, Begley, Colyer, Mutch/Laverde

Emg: Gleeson, Myers/Goddard, Laverde/Redman/Ridley

Hooker goes back, Ambrose the lock down, Hurley effectively can float and forces Gleeson out at this stage.
Only one of Myers and Goddard can play and must play an inside mid role. Similar to how Miles couldn't get a game for Richmond this year. Just can't carry extra slow guys.
I've got Colyer in at this stage as I think he can get a little better.
Last 2 spots for me are Begley and Mutch. Begley looks like he can step up again after another pre season and looks a powerful athlete. Not only that but he doesn't seem to fumble and makes good decisions. High hopes. Mutch seems to just know how to get the ball and play so I wouldn't be surprised if he moves past guys with better physical attributes like Laverde and Langford.

Baguley Hartley Ambrose
Saad Hurley McKenna
Zaharakis Heppell McGrath
Stringer Daniher Smith
Fantasia Hooker AMT
Bellchambers Parish Merrett
Goddard Gleeson Stewart Laverde

Baguley Hartley Ambrose
Saad Hurley McKenna
Stringer Daniher Smith
Fantasia Hooker AMT
Goddard Gleeson Stewart Laverde

Hartley sticks out as the weakest link in that line up. Although he is only 24, and with some good smalls around him, hopefully he can improve and just get a first to the ball and the others can clean up.

Nice job Foj1

Switch Laverde out and replace with Begley.

Begley is way better in almost every possible way and will become a contested ball beast in the middle.

Lav is perhaps a slightly better mark, but is slow with his decision making, a very average kick and simply doesn't read the play as well. Plus can only really play high half fwd until he can learn how to pick the ball up cleanly below knees.

Baguley Hartley Ambrose
Saad Hurley McKenna
Stringer Daniher Smith
Fantasia Hooker AMT
Goddard Gleeson Stewart Begley

Would like to see Mutch, Clarke & Langford/Laverde as emergencies

Saad Hurley Baguley
McKenna Hooker Francis
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Smith Stringer Stewart
Walla Daniher Fantasia
Bellchambers Zerrett Parish
Bench:
Goddard, Begley, Langford, Laverde

Emg: Gleeson, Myers, Ambrose, Hartley/Mutch

Hurley plays the lock down/stopper role, which I agree he's better at than intercepting. Hooker goes back as our interceptor, and Francis can also learn this role until he's big enough to crash packs like Hurls. I'm playing Francis into the role from Round 1 and investing him in his team mates. He needs to feel like this is his family too. Saad and McKenna are rebounding. Gleeson is a depth interceptor and hopefully replaces Hooker when he retires in a few years.

Goddard, Langford, Laverde and Begley rotate through the middle giving McGrath a rest, and the latter three through the forwardline where needs be as well.
Heppell and Merrett help out the defence and distribute. Stringer can also provide big bodied support through midfield on occasion.

Forwards are quick and mobile. Stewart and Daniher can swap here and there allowing to Daniher to push up to the wing and cause havoc at HF.

Geez we look good on paper. Make it happen Dodo... and please stay, Aaron.

Disagree. Hooker has towelled up a number of the oppositions best forwards when he was AA and playing defence. I remember one game where geelong beat us by 8 goals and Hawkins still didnt get a touch on Hooker. Would take the monsters that Ambrose and Hartley have shown an inability to play on.
Hurley and Gleeson are more than capable stoppers. I actually think Hurley is a better stopper than interceptor (he is still very good at the latter however). He played more intercepting this year as we had no one else other than maybe Gleeson to do it.

I would back Hooker, Hurley and Gleeson (with the right matchup) to win their 1 v 1 most weeks. McKenna is adequate but can have lapses, however I see your issue with Goddard and Saad though.
valid argument, I think in certain match up's Hooker can be effective, Hawkins is the right match up for him. He would struggle to find match up's each week though as there aren't many teams that have that stay at home monster anymore Cats, Giants, Power, Swans, North all have his type quickly off the top of my head but he'd be battling to find a match up v Tigers, Crows, Dogs, Dees, Saints, Hawks and Pies.

Too be honest I was more alluding to the small defenders Saad, McKenna and Goddard are all poor 1:1 defenders and with the league all leaning towards small, mobile - defence first forwards I think these guys would be a liability if they were our first choice small backs.

valid argument, I think in certain match up's Hooker can be effective, Hawkins is the right match up for him. He would struggle to find match up's each week though as there aren't many teams that have that stay at home monster anymore Cats, Giants, Power, Swans, North all have his type quickly off the top of my head but he'd be battling to find a match up v Tigers, Crows, Dogs, Dees, Saints, Hawks and Pies.

Too be honest I was more alluding to the small defenders Saad, McKenna and Goddard are all poor 1:1 defenders and with the league all leaning towards small, mobile - defence first forwards I think these guys would be a liability if they were our first choice small backs.
McKenna's 1-on-1 defending has improved a lot. He's not a star by any means but it's gotten to a point where it's "AFL standard". As has Saad, but the Gold Coast defensive structures are a shambles so I'd back it to be better in our system.

McKenna's 1-on-1 defending has improved a lot. He's not a star by any means but it's gotten to a point where it's "AFL standard". As has Saad, but the Gold Coast defensive structures are a shambles so I'd back it to be better in our system.
I agree that McKenna has scope and aptitude for improvement but I still don't think he is at a decent standard yet. In basketball vernacular he gets caught with his head turned too much for my liking.

I agree that the Suns d-fence is horrible so making an accurate assessment of Saad is hard, also considering his a hard running overlap player who traditionally are poor 1:1 defenders. Too be honest I haven't seen much of the Suns so what I've seen of Saad I've mostly liked but he has been shown up for his ability to track and maintain a man.

Where this started was a team was posted(a good team all in all) where Saad, McKenna, Gleeson and Goddard were the small defenders, my question on that group of defenders is who plays on Betts, Greene, Garlett, Rioli etc? Gleeson is solid but I'd be really concerned about the others picking up a dynamic small forward.

I agree that McKenna has scope and aptitude for improvement but I still don't think he is at a decent standard yet. In basketball vernacular he gets caught with his head turned too much for my liking.

I agree that the Suns d-fence is horrible so making an accurate assessment of Saad is hard, also considering his a hard running overlap player who traditionally are poor 1:1 defenders. Too be honest I haven't seen much of the Suns so what I've seen of Saad I've mostly liked but he has been shown up for his ability to track and maintain a man.

Where this started was a team was posted(a good team all in all) where Saad, McKenna, Gleeson and Goddard were the small defenders, my question on that group of defenders is who plays on Betts, Greene, Garlett, Rioli etc? Gleeson is solid but I'd be really concerned about the others picking up a dynamic small forward.

Walla and McGrath can play on these guys. Need to assess the match ups week by week. I think we are going to need McGrath in the middle more than we will need Walla up forward if we land Stringer and Smith. Walla might have to swing a bit next year especially when we play Adelaide, Hawthorn, Richmond, GWS....

Surprised not many people have Josh Green in their best 22. He did pretty well this year playing 17 games, averaging 11 possessions, 3 tackles and a goal a game. Certainly he did better than Langford or Laverde who everyone seems to have in their teams. At 25 Green is really coming into his prime, and he always brings intensity and energy to the way he plays so could be pretty dangerous coming off the bench I reckon...

Ambrose Hurley Baguley
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Parish Heppell McGrath
Stringer Stewart Smith
Fantasia Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Zakka Z.Merrett

Bench from: Goddard Langford McKenna Green

Surprised not many people have Josh Green in their best 22. He did pretty well this year playing 17 games, averaging 11 possessions, 3 tackles and a goal a game. Certainly he did better than Langford or Laverde who everyone seems to have in their teams. At 25 Green is really coming into his prime, and he always brings intensity and energy to the way he plays so could be pretty dangerous coming off the bench I reckon...

Ambrose Hurley Baguley
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Parish Heppell McGrath
Stringer Stewart Smith
Fantasia Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Zakka Z.Merrett

I have been wondering if due to his size if Green could turn into an inside mid who just shovels the ball out of the ball up, I don't discount Green but he seems to be one of those guys that fans either like or dislike.

Ambrose Hurley Baguley
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Parish Heppell McGrath
Stringer Stewart Smith
Fantasia Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Zakka Z.Merrett

11 possessions, 3 tackles and 1 goal/game is "pretty good" for a small forward now?

Langford as a comparison averaged more tackles, marks, disposals, inside 50's than him. Plus can play through the midfield.
Laverde was seriously affected by injury all year.

Green's spot will be taken by Smith or Stringer and Hooker will not be playing defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been wondering if due to his size if Green could turn into an inside mid who just shovels the ball out of the ball up, I don't discount Green but he seems to be one of those guys that fans either like or dislike.
That would require him to not be soft as butter.

Walla and McGrath can play on these guys. Need to assess the match ups week by week. I think we are going to need McGrath in the middle more than we will need Walla up forward if we land Stringer and Smith. Walla might have to swing a bit next year especially when we play Adelaide, Hawthorn, Richmond, GWS....
I actually don't mind the idea of Walla going back this year if the Pulsar SSS arrives at Tulla by the end of next week.

Backline would be a much better structure with;

Bags - Hooker - Ambro
Walla - Hurley - Gleeson

With guys like Saad, McGrath, Ridley + others rolling through based on match ups.

I actually don't mind the idea of Walla going back this year if the Pulsar SSS arrives at Tulla by the end of next week.

Backline would be a much better structure with;

Bags - Hooker - Ambro
Walla - Hurley - Gleeson

With guys like Saad, McGrath, Ridley + others rolling through based on match ups.
Mckenna?

Hope this is the right thread.

Nice job with Smith, saad and stringer.

You guys will be very fun to watch next year...speed all over the park. Will easily be the paciest team in the afl.

I'm interested to see which way things go...whether essendons speed and run overwhelmes and breaks open some teams, or if your smaller bodies especially in the midfield and perhaps lack of inside mids will hurt.

Saw article on afl website today say essendon have a very small midfield with Smith, Merritt, parish, McGrath etc. Heppell one of the only bigger body mids.

But watching the rebound with mckenna, kicking to McGrath, handball to the running saad, pass to Smith, over the top to tippa to kick to fantasia running into goal will be sublime!

Hope this is the right thread.

Nice job with Smith, saad and stringer.

You guys will be very fun to watch next year...speed all over the park. Will easily be the paciest team in the afl.

I'm interested to see which way things go...whether essendons speed and run overwhelmes and breaks open some teams, or if your smaller bodies especially in the midfield and perhaps lack of inside mids will hurt.

Saw article on afl website today say essendon have a very small midfield with Smith, Merritt, parish, McGrath etc. Heppell one of the only bigger body mids.

But watching the rebound with mckenna, kicking to McGrath, handball to the running saad, pass to Smith, over the top to tippa to kick to fantasia running into goal will be sublime!

It will be very interesting. I actually think Carlton will be our biggest contrast. Cripps, Curnow, Kennedy and probably another tall midfielder at pick 3 will provide a huge contrast.

Gleeson Hartley Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
McGrath Heppell Zaka
Smith Hooker Stringer
Fanta Daniher tipper

Bellchambers Merritt parish

Ridley Goddard laverde mutch

Not easy to pick next years team due to the depth and developing kids. I have a feeling 2 kids will come from nowhere next year and be regulars

Ambrose Hurley Baguley
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Parish Heppell McGrath
Stringer Stewart Smith
Fantasia Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Zakka Z.Merrett

Lol, he's done well to get what he could out of himself. But he won't be on our list in 2019, let alone best 22.

FB: Ambrose, Hartley, Baguley

HB: Saad, Hurley, McKenna

C: McGrath, Heppell, Smith

HF: Begley, Daniher, Tippa

FF: Stewart, Hooker, Fantasia

Ruck: Bellchambers, Merrett, Stringer

Interchange: Zaharkais, Goddard, Parish, Gleeson

Depth: Laverde, Langford, Francis, Coyler, Green, Leuenberger, Myers, Mutch, Redman, Ridley.

Smith and Stringer are coming here to play in the middle, let them do their thing. They can rotate with Tippa, Fantasia and Begley too.

11 possessions, 3 tackles and 1 goal/game is "pretty good" for a small forward now?

Langford as a comparison averaged more tackles, marks, disposals, inside 50's than him. Plus can play through the midfield.
Laverde was seriously affected by injury all year.

Green's spot will be taken by Smith or Stringer and Hooker will not be playing defence.

The main role of a forward is goals and to a lesser extent. Both of which Josh Green has Langford covered in.

Will admit that Green's role is now in jeopardy with Devon Smith most likely to take his role as a fwd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back