Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Can't think and chew gum at the same time

That was the reasoning reported, I was really surprised they didn't go for it, unless the AFL said they are minimal chance so dont bother and this was a cover.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't remember back to the applications for the inaugural year but Port (and Sydney) definitely didn't apply this time around
The issue is SA womens footy lacks depth. Crows had a third of their team in the NT and a bunch of Adelaide bases players from interstate as well.

The reason Port & Sydney didnt apply this time because it's pretty clear they'll be the 17th & 18th teams due to the most difficult talent issues to overcome. So there was no point applying for the initial expansion about from PR.

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
Too much too soon. Afl should have stayed strong.
Agreed. Was a firm believer of Bec Goddard's approach and slowly bringing those teams in. Something along the lines of 2 teams every two years I thought would have sufficed and helped to keep the comp fresh whilst the talent pool continues to grow to that higher standard

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agreed. Was a firm believer of Bec Goddard's approach and slowly bringing those teams in. Something along the lines of 2 teams every two years I thought would have sufficed and helped to keep the comp fresh whilst the talent pool continues to grow to that higher standard
Yep just crazy to bring it on that quickly. Qld dev is ok, I watched the div 1 girls finals, some good footy/athletic talent around.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Who are some names we should be looking out for come draft time?

Aish .... but only as a Rookie pick ..... not a guaranteed starter for the Senior list (but may develop) .....

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
I get the joke...but sheesh, aren't we past this level of comedy regarding the AFLW?

"Comedy" was at Aish expense, not AFLW.
Reality is that I value the AFLW players more highly (and tougher).

filbert

Rookie
Mar 14, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gabby Collingwood, Tarny White.
I used to coach the Inala u12’s years ago for the met west carnival. I use to take anyone who rocked up as we would be lucky to get 12 kids to trial. One year I had two girls so happily took them along. One was Gabby, a great kid who did everything you asked and had great skills and was the best runner on our team. She was better than most of the boys at that carnival. I only did this for 5 years, but she is the only kid I remember. Hope she makes it.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I used to coach the Inala u12’s years ago for the met west carnival. I use to take anyone who rocked up as we would be lucky to get 12 kids to trial. One year I had two girls so happily took them along. One was Gabby, a great kid who did everything you asked and had great skills and was the best runner on our team. She was better than most of the boys at that carnival. I only did this for 5 years, but she is the only kid I remember. Hope she makes it.
You guys had some decent kids at under 12 this year. Young Bidgood went alright, good mark for his age.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nat Grider goes ok too, dominated the schools comp but the standard was poor. Don't know if she could go to the next level, but hopefully they have a look

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Write up of Renee Cowan here.
http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...owan-tanya-hetherington-chantella-perera.html
I think the next gen might overtake these older players.

Skill level on some (but not many) of these girls is really good, above state level boys in some instances. There was a kid called Ash Sciortino nailing 30 metre low passes off either foot as a 12 year old last year. Questions on her athleticism, but her foot skills were amazing. She should come through in 4-5 years if managed properly.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think the next gen might overtake these older players.

Skill level on some (but not many) of these girls is really good, above state level boys in some instances. There was a kid called Ash Sciortino nailing 30 metre low passes off either foot as a 12 year old last year. Questions on her athleticism, but her foot skills were amazing. She should come through in 4-5 years if managed properly.
I think older players have maybe 4 more years to get their foot in the door, however, that is largely due to the expansion. Adding 6 new teams over the next 3 years means well performed senior players will still be on the radar. If there was no expansion, it might be different. After that, senior players are only going to get a look in if they have a lot of good footy under their belt, and good skill, the athlete with 1 season behind them will not get a look in.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lions women taking 8 picks to the draft, look for a big influx of local talent.

Back