List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
What about with Mummy retiring.This to me is the interesting part.I think they knew a while ago he was finished but did they factor in him retiring and then up Kelly's contract or do we have that money spare now?
We will bring in another ruck.Just depends on whether it's through the draft or trade.Lobb,Simpson and Flynn isn't enough for a team in the premiership window.
Hold on to that thought because if the Swans get Watts, they are letting Tippett cross the ANZAC bridge - and pay the majority of his salary.

Hold on to that thought because if the Swans get Watts, they are letting Tippett cross the ANZAC bridge - and pay the majority of his salary.
Sydney aren't going to give Tippett away and pay his salary. The only way the Swans end up paying a big chunk of his salary would be if they received good trade value on him. If another club offered to take him and his salary, then perhaps the Swans would be more inclined to give him away.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Sydney aren't going to give Tippett away and pay his salary. The only way the Swans end up paying a big chunk of his salary would be if they received good trade value on him. If another club offered to take him and his salary, then perhaps the Swans would be more inclined to give him away.
Honestly
I cant see us wanting him. I dont buy into the theory he's a spud but I do think Rory and Dawson are as good or better prospects. Three rucks plus Flynn developing looks like overkill to me.

Honestly
I cant see us wanting him. I dont buy into the theory he's a spud but I do think Rory and Dawson are as good or better prospects. Three rucks plus Flynn developing looks like overkill to me.
I can't really see it either unless it's purely as a short term replacement for Mummy, should he not go on. Tippett's 2017 was plagued by injuries, but he was very impressive for the first half of 2016. (Big) if he can return to that level of form next year then I'd be happy for the Swans to keep him.

Only really makes sense to move him on if it helps us bring in a decent player or pick, which would seem unlikely.

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
That's what I thought. Hence why I was all for the idea, it seems too good to be true!

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I can't really see it either unless it's purely as a short term replacement for Mummy, should he not go on. Tippett's 2017 was plagued by injuries, but he was very impressive for the first half of 2016. (Big) if he can return to that level of form next year then I'd be happy for the Swans to keep him.

Only really makes sense to move him on if it helps us bring in a decent player or pick, which would seem unlikely.
Not sure if the Mutts are smart enough, but if they were they'd jump (as best they can) at a cheap competent ruck.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I
Watts going to Swans and then the impact on Tippett had crossed my mind.Lot of issues with Tippett leaving Swans and going to another club though.One thing for sure is in a pure playing sense Dawson Simpson isn't in the same ball park as Tippett.There are a lot of I'll informed opinions on Tippett out there.In my opinion while Lobb was good when Mumford was injured there is a big difference between playing ruck for a few finals and being the premier ruck for a whole year.Im not convinced Lobbs body is durable enough yet for that.Flynn is apparently developing nicely but I think we will bring in a mature body vfl type or a low draft pick/workhorse type from another club.I don't buy what the clubs is saying about going in with just Lobb,Simpson and Flynn

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Thoughts on wilson and kennedy trade situation? I reckon we might choose to invest more into the 2018 draft than what I came up with.

Scenario 1 - Keep Tomlinson

Freo with Richmond with GWS
- Freo get: wilson + 15
- Richmond get: 5 + 56/pick traded from balic
- GWS get: 17

Carlton with GWS with St. Kilda
- Carlton get: 8 + M. Kennedy
- St. Kilda get: 3 + 17
- GWS get: 7

Overall 2017 GWS picks: 7, 11, 26, 64, 70, etc. - can go for players like Stephenson/Higgins/Coffield

Scenario 2 - Tomlinson Goes

Freo with Richmond with GWS
- Freo get: wilson + 15
- Richmond get: 5 + 56/pick traded from balic
- GWS get: 17

GWS with GCS
- GWS get: 36 + 38
- GCS get: 26 + 64

GWS with Carlton
- Carlton get: 11 + 38 + M. Kennedy
- GWS get: 3 + 57

GWS with St. Kilda
- St. Kilda get: Tomlinson
- GWS get: 8

Overall 2017 GWS picks: 3, 8, 17, 36, 70, etc. - can go for dow/LDU/rayner at 3, higgins/coffield/stephenson at 8, clavarino/balta at 17, academy boys or spargo with remaining picks

Last edited:

Inzy7

Debutant
Sep 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Okay now i know most will shoot me down but here goes!!
I want Carlton to go back to being Carlton!!

CARLTON OUT: PICK 3 & 2018 FIRST ROUND
CARLTON IN: Tom Lynch & Gold Coast 2018 3rd round

Carlton out : Bryce Gibbs
Carlton in: PICK 16 & ADEL 2018 2ND ROUND

Carlton in: Matty Kennedy & GWS 2018 3RD ROUND
Carlton out : ADEL 2018 2ND ROUND & GC 2018 3rd round

So all up:
CARLTON IN: Tom Lynch-Matty Kennedy-GWS 2018 3RD ROUND-pick 16
CARLTON OUT : Bryce Gibbs-pick3-2018 1st round

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Okay now i know most will shoot me down but here goes!!
I want Carlton to go back to being Carlton!!

CARLTON OUT: PICK 3 & 2018 FIRST ROUND
CARLTON IN: Tom Lynch & Gold Coast 2018 3rd round

Carlton out : Bryce Gibbs
Carlton in: PICK 16 & ADEL 2018 2ND ROUND

Carlton in: Matty Kennedy & GWS 2018 3RD ROUND
Carlton out : ADEL 2018 2ND ROUND & GC 2018 3rd round

So all up:
CARLTON IN: Tom Lynch-Matty Kennedy-GWS 2018 3RD ROUND-pick 16
CARLTON OUT : Bryce Gibbs-pick3-2018 1st round
I don't want to shoot you down.

I just want to shoot you.

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Any chance we can do the following;

Wilson and 11 to Freo for Pick 5
Pick 5 and Kennedy to Carlton for Pick 3.

Head to the draft with Pick 3 and 26?

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry to scuttle your scenario but our Pick 15 goes back to the AFL as our fine for Lachie Whitfield's sleepover with the Lamberts

I was thinking:

Richmond out - 15 + 17
Richmond in - 5 + 40

Freo out: 5 + 40
Freo in: wilson + 15

Gws out: wilson
Gws in: 17

I feel like each party gets something out of that trade.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I was thinking:

Richmond out - 15 + 17
Richmond in - 5 + 40

Freo out: 5 + 40
Freo in: wilson + 15

Gws out: wilson
Gws in: 17

I feel like each party gets something out of that trade.

Theoretically it's an OK trade, especially when it achieves what we want. I just don't think it occurs in real life. Richmond are probably after at least one, if not two, talls to develop. Therefore, they don't need a top 5 pick as none of this year's talls are worth that. Even if not both talls, I think they want two first round talents. And they would expect to have Naish (F/S) bid on in the mid 20s, which would cost that pick 40, so they would only get one (admittedly high draft pick) player & Naish rather than 2 + Naish. Freo also desperately want as high a talent as possible in their rebuild. They were OK with their trade to us last year as they made a motza on it - McCarthy plus extra picks for a small first round downgrade that got them a local boy in a position they needed - wins all the way round for them. Going down from 5 (gets them IMHO a great inside mid such as Cerra or Brayshaw, which they desperately need) to 15 is a significant drop - when they only (probably honestly in their assessment) rate Wilson as a second-round (or 20-something) pick.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Theoretically it's an OK trade, especially when it achieves what we want. I just don't think it occurs in real life. Richmond are probably after at least one, if not two, talls to develop. Therefore, they don't need a top 5 pick as none of this year's talls are worth that. Even if not both talls, I think they want two first round talents. And they would expect to have Naish (F/S) bid on in the mid 20s, which would cost that pick 40, so they would only get one (admittedly high draft pick) player & Naish rather than 2 + Naish. Freo also desperately want as high a talent as possible in their rebuild. They were OK with their trade to us last year as they made a motza on it - McCarthy plus extra picks for a small first round downgrade that got them a local boy in a position they needed - wins all the way round for them. Going down from 5 (gets them IMHO a great inside mid such as Cerra or Brayshaw, which they desperately need) to 15 is a significant drop - when they only (probably honestly in their assessment) rate Wilson as a second-round (or 20-something) pick.

Yea I can see your point there. Trying to get creative here to combat that, but still highly doubt anything like this will happen. Much more likely to just go wilson for a pick. But just for fun:

Freo out: 5 + 42 + Apeness
Freo in: 11 + wilson + conca (originally from WA)
Receiving 11 back means they remain in the hunt for a highly rated player who slid out of the top 10 (Brayshaw/Coffield). Worst case scenario could still grab Worpel who has a strong inside game. They then receive 2 WA boys in Wilson (slot into best 22) and Conca (HB role with wilson, can rotate to midfield and HF role).

Richmond out: 17 + conca
Richmond in: 26 + 42 + Apeness (KF who started to living in Melbourne at a young age)
Lets them have a young project KF and lets them keep 15 for best tall available (brander - rated 19 by KM/balta - rated 5 by KM/CCJ - rated 18 by KM). Richmond could then on-trade 26 + Miles to say GCS for pick 20 so they can squeeze another pick (tall/mid) in before Naish gets potentially bid on. 42 lets them match the Naish bid without using multiple picks in the 50s.

GWS out: Wilson + 11 + 26
GWS in: 5 + 17
GWS lose Wilson but upgrade from 11 to 5 and 26 to 17. Would like to then downgrade 5 + 64 with St. Kilda for 8 + 45 + Lonie. Lets us still have a good chance at Higgins and upgrade back to the 2nd rd in a supposedly better draft pool. Gaining Higgins, Lonie and perhaps Honeychurch may mean the emphasis on getting Spargo this year would decrease. We would then be in a good position to trade Kennedy for a 2018 2nd rd pick with Carlton push comes to shove. We would end up with 8, 17, 45 this year and our 1st rd with an early-mid 2nd rd pick next year.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Alright, seeing that people are trying to work mutually beneficial trades around Wilson & Tommo, how about this involving only those two clubs (theoretical only for fun, not advocating doing the Tommo trade)

GWS Out: Tomlinson, Wilson, Pick 71.
GWS In: Pick 5, Pick 42.
(Pick 8 also comes in but straight back out in a three way trade.)

St Kilda Out: Pick 8.
St Kilda In: Tomlinson, Pick 41.

Fremantle Out: Pick 5, Pick 41, Pick 42.
Fremantle In: Pick 8, Wilson, Pick 71.

Summary: Essentially, GWS gives up Tommo to St Kilda & gets pick 8 in return, which we then swap for pick 5 with Fremantle for Wilson. To even up the trade values, Freo also give up picks 41 (which goes to St Kilda) & pick 42 (to GWS), while GWS' pick 71 goes to Freo to give them a usable pick.

In points value:
GWS - lose 2 players we each value in the first round for 2244 points total, or around picks 14 & 16 combined. I think that's fair for those players, given they're both in contract.
St Kilda - give up 1551 points but get 412 back in for a net loss of 1139 points - about pick 15 for Tommo. I'm guessing the fans wouldn't like it but if the management team want Tommo I'd think it fair enough. Obviously it would only work because they also have pick 7 to take to the draft because they lose a first round for a third round pick (though, they shouldn't expect to pick up first round players cheaply!).
Fremantle - lose 2685 points but get back 1580, so net loss of 1105 points for Wilson - equivalent to pick 16. Again, for a contracted player I think that's fair enough, although undoubtedly their fans would bitch about it. They stay in the early first round, and effectively give up just one third round pick & swap another third round for fourth round pick - so really minimal damage to them for a great outcome.

So, that gives GWS picks 5, 11, 27, 42 & 65. Matt Kennedy would still likely give us a future second round pick in the bank. I would then use 5 to draft Nick Coffield (initially think of a more dynamic Patfull-type replacement, immediately he fills the Tommo role, longer term he replaces Heater as the defensive & counter-attacking general), 11 should get Higgins (fills Dev Smith small forward role, if not I'd go perhaps Aidan Bonar as an X-factor Stevie J replacement), 26 would allow an option to draft a Wilson-type replacement for the longer term - either speedsters such as Ling or Petrucelle or perhaps a more balanced Ed Richards, who's probably more Heater-style) OR could draft another small forward such as Gyran Miers or Charlie Spargo, 42 matches a bid on Shipley & 65 matches a bid on Powell. That's 5 of 6 holes filled, and we'd have to look for a DFA to fill the other slot - depending on how we've selected 26 it could be Honeychurch for a defensive small forward, or Sam Collins as a more direct Tomlinson-style replacement. Plus two rookies.

Have at it!

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Um, I don't even want to give a Tommo trade any oxygen! Culturally, club-wise, Tommo has to stay
:thumbsu:

To be fair I just think it's to generate discussion. That's why I dont participate in fantasy leagues, I'm not that interested in trading as an intellectual excercise. I am interested in what our club does but that's an emotional link not an intellectual one. If I view it like that hypotheticals dont offend me. :oops:My initial reaction to a suggested trade if Tomlinson is to want to kick the cat though.

From Fairfax

Meanwhile St Kilda have made a formal bid to secure Giants key position player Adam Tomlinson, who has two years to run on his contract.

The Saints have offered the contracted Tomlinson a four-year deal to join them but have told the Giants their two first-round draft picks – selections 7 and 8 – are not available and they would offer their future second-round pick and possibly a third-round pick this year for the player.

The Giants have repeatedly said Tomlinson was not going to be traded so were surprised that St Kilda would seek to persuade them to change their mind with an offer of a future second-round pick for a key position player taken at pick nine in the draft and who is now 25 and entering the best years of his career. He was one of the Giants best players in the finals.

Saints have got to be kidding. Maybe their collective heads have enlarged after ripping off Hawthorn last year but they can’t seriously expect GWS to accept that.

Back