"Family Reasons" will it become an overuse term?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some legit family reasons, Dylan roberton knocking up his gf and wanting to move back to melbourne so they can be close to family, Wilson the same this year. If Jesse Hogan wanted to move back to Perth given the year he's had and stated family reasons I'm sure no one would be saying its BS.

This is very non PC observation but I do feel if an indigenous player wants to move home for family reasons it is viewed differently by the footy public. Whether thats right or wrong is another matter, just an observation.

"I can take living away from my family so that means everyone can"

More along the lines of "we all need to make choices between work and family"

Everyone choice will be different but for those who choose family you gotta be prepared to sacrifice your work.

I know while you are still in school the big wide world seems easy but once you get out there you'll realise it's full of hard decisions to make. At least it is if you want to be successful.

Everyone choice will be different but for those who choose family you gotta be prepared to sacrifice your work.

I know while you are still in school the big wide world seems easy but once you get out there you'll realise it's full of hard decisions to make. At least it is if you want to be successful.
Clearly they can have both, so thats not true. If they can have both, why wouldn't they?

Lever left Adelaide to move back to Melbourne to be with his family and be on higher coin. You should've offered more being the interstate club.

Adelaide needs to learn their place or face being a feeder club forever similar to how Sassuolo is Juventus.

It's something I think can only be judged on a case by case basis. The Lever deal sounds like bullshit considering it was only ever Melbourne linked to the deal, and the things said throughout the year by Lever.

On the other hand, if you look at Judd or Danger, etc then I believe that. Those blokes gave everything they could to their previous clubs.

Clearly they can have both, so thats not true. If they can have both, why wouldn't they?

Depends. If they are out of contract fine.

But if they are in contract then no. I'm not going to keep repeating myself but I expand on this idea in another post. So if you are just going to reply with "clubs can hold them" don't bother.I get it

Lever left Adelaide to move back to Melbourne to be with his family and be on higher coin. You should've offered more being the interstate club.

Adelaide needs to learn their place or face being a feeder club forever similar to how Sassuolo is Juventus.

Just so you know I can, as an Adelaide supporter, talk about a topic and it's not automatically about Adelaide.

But I guess I'll play your game.

I'm less concerned about Lever as he wAs out of contract and more concerned about the players who are in contract wanting to use family as a reason to get out of contracts.

As an aside, Adelaide get players in, not just going out so being a feeder club isn't a huge issue. We aren't losing every good player we have.

Well I'll tell you something for nothing, it's a lot easier in business class. My one time experience can very much attest to that. My usual economy trip was horrid yes. While my one time experience is one time, footy players can do it

My experience includes funerals & getting in, getting out in a couple of hours is tough, up front or not. Not like catching up for lunch on the east coast where its a doddle.

Some of us just don't seem to get that a topic thread on this forum is to discuss for all AFL clubs generally, not just some hidden agenda or a venting outlet.

Some of you Victorian members need to realise "family reasons" might well be used in one of your future young stars, and wanting a return home to WA, SA, QLD etc. This topic is not just about Victorian supremacy. Open your mind a little.

2 years interstate from my family & I left them the same age these guys do via the draft and on less than half of their 70-100k wage...

Man up.

This is such bullshit. Some people just prefer to be around family and the friends they grew up with. Others don’t care as much. Neither is manning up or otherwise. It’s just different values and that’s okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only excuse can be when players are wanting to start families with there partners, who usually want to be close to there mum for support when the baby arrives. But for a 21yo give it a spell..

But it was alright when everyone poachers our players for 'family reasons'. Albeit we have been a little lucky to recover some losses with D Beams and maybe cameron.

The only excuse can be when players are wanting to start families with there partners, who usually want to be close to there mum for support when the baby arrives. But for a 21yo give it a spell..
That didnt work for rockliff. Just had a kid and now shifted him and his partner half way accross the country further from her parents.

That didnt work for rockliff. Just had a kid and now shifted him and his partner half way accross the country further from her parents.

Yeah, but an extra $200k a year hires a full time aupair and still has plenty left over for flights back to see mum.

The funny thing about "family reasons" is it always seems to go hand in hand with pay rises. You are offered more money and suddenly the people back home start to look better to you? I recall when Ablett left for Gold Coast, it was for family reasons. Now he wants to return to Geelong, it's also for family reasons. Big family? And how about Tippet? Wanted to leave Adelaide and return to Brisbane for "family reasons". The moment Sydney offered a bigger pay cheque, suddenly those reasons were no longer relevant.

Just for once you'd love to hear a player tell it as it is. "Hey, I'm being offered a hell of a lot more money to do the same job as I do now. A guy would be silly to turn if down". AFL football has become worse than politics with all the bullshit people speak. Why is it okay to accept a better paid position in the business world, but if players do it, it's considered to be mercenary? Ipso facto, why is it people are quite happy to accept high paying gigs interstate and overseas and not find the need to return home for family reasons?

All this "I wanna go home" stuff makes footballers sound like a bunch of wimps. And why is it, it's not just enough to "go home", they have to go to a certain club in order to be home? Not fooling anyone players, it's about the money, just admit it.

you shouldn't need a reason to move clubs, to justify a move. Simply saying "I would like to move clubs" is all it should take to change jobs and place of work like any other person.

unfortunately this is a hangover of 80s footy culture and the AFL restraint of trade

"Family Reasons" has it's place, but is possibly being used as a "cover-all" when in reality it is merely a component of the decision, e.g:
  • Sam Mitchell going to WA 12 months early, before commencing an Assistant Coaching gig. (before his oldest child starts school).
  • Brad Hill going to Freo to be with his brother (Hawthorn had tried to trade for Stephen and move the family to East Coast the previous year as the separation was an ongoing issue)
  • Jarman Impey losing his father, and returning to his home state.
I don't believe "Family" was the only reason for any of the above, but do believe it was a factor in the overall decision-making process.

There are some legit family reasons, Dylan roberton knocking up his gf and wanting to move back to melbourne so they can be close to family, Wilson the same this year. If Jesse Hogan wanted to move back to Perth given the year he's had and stated family reasons I'm sure no one would be saying its BS.

This is very non PC observation but I do feel if an indigenous player wants to move home for family reasons it is viewed differently by the footy public. Whether thats right or wrong is another matter, just an observation.

I think that's true. Generally speaking indigenous people seem to have an even tighter connection to family than other cultures.
I'm not trying to stereotype here, only working off what I've seen.

Its hard because both the family reasons and mental health thing can now be used as a cover for something else that is going on.
Its sad that we're questioning peoples motives because others lie about their reasoning.

Oh dear.
Id rather them pay a 3rd defender $850k+
We'll take our two first round picks and find two more Jake Levers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back