2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a sense the mob is getting restless...

Whats ever give you that idea ;) ????

Things are proceeding pretty much as normal for our board during the trade period.

download-2.jpg

Is griffin cooked? Will he cost us anything in terms of picks? If no then I'd give him a year

Its all well and good to say Ah Chee is only worth a 4th but is he happy with that? If you have identified talent that you think could improve your list and he agrees to nominate you and you agree to go after him and then you let him go to the draft because you didn't want to pay the diff between a 3rd and a 4th seems a bit harsh.
Not saying its the case its just an element to consider and might not make Ah Chee the happiest Chappy to be left twisting in the wind so that we can draft another tweeter half back flanker that plays in the WAFL for 3 years in the 3rd round.
Reading between the lines, he'd be happy to come to us as a FA. Not sure why you believe he cares 2 bits about this.

What is interesting is comparing the Eagles to the Crows.

It has become quite the talking point how for some reason the Crows continue to lose top end talent. The other side to this is they seem to end up with multiple 1st round picks and replenish via the draft.

We seem to be the opposite. We really dont lose top talent back to Victoria and seem able to hold onto our interstate recruits.

So who would you rather be?
Ummmm... us by a mile. I don't know why everyone thinks the Crows are the be all and end all suddenly?

They just played their first GF in nearly 20 years and were beaten convincingly by a team who were hardly world beaters. In fact I would say a 2015 esq effort and people on this board think 2015 is some kind of club shame for our team.

So I would rather not lose top end talent, make three times as many GF's in 20 years, plus actually win one!:thumbsu:

Ummmm... us by a mile. I don't know why everyone thinks the Crows are the be all and end all suddenly?

They just played their first GF in nearly 20 years and were beaten convincingly by a team who were hardly world beaters. In fact I would say a 2015 esq effort and people on this board think 2015 is some kind of club shame for our team.

So I would rather not lose top end talent, make three times as many GF's in 20 years, plus actually win one!:thumbsu:

Beat me to it.

Oh wow the Crows have had a good year, big deal.

We have a better forward and defence.

Forward line arguable

Feel free to argue it.

Tex Walker is an overrate spud. Darling could do what he does with extra ninja flips.
Kennedy shits all over anyone they have.
Best they have is Betts.

What also differentiates the Crows from us is their ability to :

1. Draft well with the picks they get, their recruiters have a better eye for talent identification, than ours.

and here is the biggie.

2. More importantly they develop their players as well as any other Club in the League.

Whilst I do get your point.:thumbsu:

The bolded bit is crucial to their on going success, now if we could just address this shortcoming in our own Club , I feel we would be much better served.

Agree. Although I’d state we’ve done more of the on field side of things better, for longer.

Getting players like Hill, Wellingham and to a lesser extent Jetta into the club and getting them to play big roles is pretty bad. They’re the types of players you recruit late in drafts and should be able to develop every year unless you get unlucky (Cavka, A.Waterman)

Building a midfield around Priddis and then thinking more of the same in Mitchell was a fix for our weakness through the middle is befuddling. Our weaknesses have been obvious and effectively unaddressed for a long time.

Happy for the likes of Ah Che because like Cripps and Yeo he’s relatively unproven and West Coast shouldn’t be paying through the nose for someone like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There's a difference between what he's "worth" and what our best offer should be.

On the whole, a player of Ah Chee's talent could very well be worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder..

But look at the situation with the amount of time he's spent on the list, the fact he's out of contract and has specifically nominated us as his preferred club, his output at AFL level over 6 years, the way Port have refused to play him and how he's fallen down the pecking order.... there's a reason why our offer should be minimal.

I'm glad we're playing hard ball.
If we refused to play him all year in favour of a first year draftee, and had just brought in another inside mid (Rockliff) via free agency, plus he was out of contract, wanting to go back to his home state and had publicly nominated a club, then I think we would concede the fact that his market value wouldn't be very high.

There's a difference between what players are worth and what they are valued
Pointed all these facts out on the Port board last week ( before the Rocky deal ) They wanted our pick 30. Surprisingly, I didn't get one reply, funny that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our 2017 season will come down to how Big Nic Nat comes back after a year off and if those blokes in the midfield take the opportunity.

Sheed can have a Matt Crouch type year and Redden continues his end of year form when he got midfield time. These blokes along with Ah Chee now have a chance to play where they were drafted to play.

I’m confident of not only top 8 but a big push. If no big injuries strike.

Feel free to argue against it.

Besides Betts who is a beauty who do they have better than us?
Jenkins and Walker are Darling level. Cameron is better than the rest of what we have and Betts is only slightly worse than Kennedy.

What is interesting is comparing the Eagles to the Crows.

It has become quite the talking point how for some reason the Crows continue to lose top end talent. The other side to this is they seem to end up with multiple 1st round picks and replenish via the draft.

We seem to be the opposite. We really dont lose top talent back to Victoria and seem able to hold onto our interstate recruits.

So who would you rather be?

They couldn't have THAT many first round picks, or at least not high picks - I'm pretty sure they have 0 top 10 players in the team (B. Crouch mini-draft exception).
I think their recruiting has been very good, they have built a very good team.

Right now you'd rather be them obviously, they are coming off a dominant year.
Got ahead of themselves in the GF, but outside of Betts they're not losing any talent due to retirement.

They just picked up a couple more first round picks and unearthed Hartigan who can take the place of Lever.

To say we cover them in forwards and defence seems misguided, they scored 450 more points that us this year (even North scored more than us!)
Our defence is probably even with theirs, especially with the loss of Lever.

Their midfield finally seemed to click with the Sloane & the Crouch boys and other lesser-known players stepping up to fill the void.
Our midfield is probably bottom 4 in the league so it certainly brings other areas of the team down (but there is hope).

West Coast could be heading to a big drop soon when Emac / LeCras / JK / Hurn retire across the next few years.

You seem to want to do a head to head comparison at an individual level, not taking into account that it's a team game.
The makeup of their entire forward line is better than us, the way they setup plays to their strengths and make use of each tall player in a variety of roles.

Jenkins and Walker are Darling level. Cameron is better than the rest of what we have and Betts is only slightly worse than Kennedy.

Cameron is going to Brisbane.
Kennedy is a step above Betts.
Walker level with Darling.
Jenkins is s**t. Did you mean Lynch?

You seem to want to do a head to head comparison at an individual level, not taking into account that it's a team game.
The makeup of their entire forward line is better than us, the way they setup plays to their strengths and make use of each tall player in a variety of roles.

I'm just stating what I believe, at worse we are equal to them as a forward line.

Cameron would have been the perfect fit for our fwd line, brings so much more to the table than a flaky cripps and an ageing Le Cras.

But this was another non-opportunity to fill our most obvious needs.

Anyone would think that Lathlain is the new Western Sydney.

The ducking is an issue, plus he’s had a crack at it with Freo previously and didn’t make their senior list (Menegola factor aside that doesn’t augur well for his prospects). Just feel that Kelly would have more to offer at the next level pound for pound.

Ryan certainly won’t draw the level of attention he gets at Subi but is he really the small forward we need? Seems a lead up/high marking type that is happy to fly for the hanger rather than stay front & square for crumbs. Was absolutely infuriating this year watching most of our forwards all go up for the mark and no one stay down at the fall of the ball. In fact I’d go as far as saying JK is our best crumbing forward (ala his work towards the end of the first period of extra time against Port).

Shloithe has had a excellent year and polled very well to win The Sandover Medal So it appears as though he has matured since his first Afl appointment.. I wouldn’t be dismissing so cheaply if he was available late in the draft..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The main point is that with Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, Betts, Cameron and McGovern they have a full forward line of actual forwards, each with their own attributes. For quite a while now we've been shoving midfielders like Masten, Sheed, Redden and Priddis onto a half-forward flank, where they are not naturals, or swinging McGovern into attack, because we're one forward short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back