2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like we are willing to give up a fourth rounder for Ah Chee but Port want a third rounder.

Hard call to make because that third round is where some experienced state league players might start to fall.

Can't see us improving in the midfield much right now. Lose 500 games experience and 2 Brownlow Medalists but we aren't being active in replacing them except for what's already on the list.

This Afl is so compromised. Concessions to East Coast teams. Playing the GF at the MCG. I am not whinging about it because it is A business its entertainment and it does give jobs and entertains us. Free agency and trades helps Vic teams even more it seems. No one wants to go to Gold Coast or Brisbane and stay there. This is not a whinge, It is just stating the discrepancies.
Drafting and Trading is entertaining .
This is why we are in this forum / thread after all.
The Afl wont reduce trade week because it keeps AFL in the news ahead of other codes

The Afl won’t reduce trade week but maybe they could limit the amount of time to make a individual deal give clubs 72 hrs to broker a deal .Which should stop teams hijacking trade week..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate reckons West Coast are all over some 18 year old otherwise unknown playing in the Pilbara league. Apparently they have been secretly flying him up an down for training and blocked him from playing WAFL. Big fast real nasty piece of works with a mullet half way down to his arse.
Sounds like a rookie pick......or BS.

We do need a good mullet in the team though.:D

I'm just stating what I believe, at worse we are equal to them as a forward line.

Then why does our forward line need fixing? The crows were the highest scoring team in the comp in 2017.
I don’t believe ours is terrible but 17 other clubs would prefer their forward line to ours. We are one dimensional.

The main point is that with Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, Betts, Cameron and McGovern they have a full forward line of actual forwards, each with their own attributes. For quite a while now we've been shoving midfielders like Masten, Sheed, Redden and Priddis onto a half-forward flank, where they are not naturals, or swinging McGovern into attack, because we're one forward short.

Well we also have the French King, LeCras.

Check and mate.

Then why does our forward line need fixing? The crows were the highest scoring team in the comp in 2017.
I don’t believe ours is terrible but 17 other clubs would prefer their forward line to ours. We are one dimensional.

The same forward line that choked massively on the grand final, much like ours in 2015.

They also get a lot better entry than ours does, due to the superior midfield they have, if we had Adelaides midfield we'd be the highest scoring side.
Take out Betts and Adelaide would struggle. Not the best thing in the world when your most damaging attacker is a small forward.

Little does he know, we're trading McGovern.

View attachment 427824

We made no trades in 2014 after missing finals and losing a couple of veteran stars to retirement. We made the grand final the following year.

We made no trades in 2010 (other than sending McKinley to North for a nothing pick) after finishing last. We made a prelim the following year.

Adelaide have crumbers up forward and we don't. It just gives them more opportunity to score from lower quality entries. This means they can score very heavily on a good day and stay in a match where they are struggling to generate high quality f50 entries.

We are very dependant on scoring from f50 marks or frees. This means we need clean entries and that is next to impossible if your mids are struggling to get their hands on the footy and/or are under a lot of physical pressure. This is basically the scenario against any decent side.

We need more ball winners, pace and hardness around the middle of the ground. Naita is a big in, Ah Chee is a good fit for us. We need at least one more player that can play full midfield minutes and is at least quick and hard at the footy. We aren't going to get a total package midfielder but we can get one with the right attributes that frees up Shuey, Gaff, Sheed to be at their most damaging.

A Ben Cunnington type would have a lot of value for us IMO.

Cameron is going to Brisbane.
Kennedy is a step above Betts.
Walker level with Darling.
Jenkins is s**t. Did you mean Lynch?
If Jenkins is s**t why did he kick more goals than Darling? haha

I understand Cameron is leaving but still an Adelaide player right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main point is that with Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, Betts, Cameron and McGovern they have a full forward line of actual forwards, each with their own attributes. For quite a while now we've been shoving midfielders like Masten, Sheed, Redden and Priddis onto a half-forward flank, where they are not naturals, or swinging McGovern into attack, because we're one forward short.
Actually I believe we were 2 to 3 forwards short for a lot of 2017.
LeCras went missing far too often.
Cripps was brought back too early and never got back to a level of fitness where he was close to a Cameron.
Hill was .... even quiet low on production at East Perth.

Adelaide have crumbers up forward and we don't. It just gives them more opportunity to score from lower quality entries. This means they can score very heavily on a good day and stay in a match where they are struggling to generate high quality f50 entries.

We are very dependant on scoring from f50 marks or frees. This means we need clean entries and that is next to impossible if your mids are struggling to get their hands on the footy and/or are under a lot of physical pressure. This is basically the scenario against any decent side.

We need more ball winners, pace and hardness around the middle of the ground. Naita is a big in, Ah Chee is a good fit for us. We need at least one more player that can play full midfield minutes and is at least quick and hard at the footy. We aren't going to get a total package midfielder but we can get one with the right attributes that frees up Shuey, Gaff, Sheed to be at their most damaging.

A Ben Cunnington type would have a lot of value for us IMO.

Agreed with everything up until the Cunnington part. Would be the new Priddis

You mean 16 other clubs, right? What we need is a quality small forward. May be a better defensive forward than Cripps as well. Betts, Cameron (who is leaving) and Lynch are ones who make them slightly better than us. kennedy and Darling combo is a lot better than their tall forwards.

If Jenkins is s**t why did he kick more goals than Darling? haha

I understand Cameron is leaving but still an Adelaide player right now.

He kicked two more goals than Darling. In a season where Darling was down on form. With superior supply.

Agreed with everything up until the Cunnington part. Would be the new Priddis

Significantly faster than Priddis. Comparable levels of turnover merchanty-ness. Had over 10 clearances in 25% of his games this year, averaged 5 tackles per game and 15 contested possessions.

We aren't going to get an A-grader so i'm saying we should prioritise grunt around the ball over a Hartung or Jetta type. We have enough of them on the list already. Cunnington was just an example of a player style I think would bring better balance to our midfield.

Significantly faster than Priddis. Comparable levels of turnover merchanty-ness. Had over 10 clearances in 25% of his games this year, averaged 5 tackles per game and 15 contested possessions.

We aren't going to get an A-grader so i'm saying we should prioritise grunt around the ball over a Hartung or Jetta type. We have enough of them on the list already. Cunnington was just an example of a player style I think would bring better balance to our midfield.
Eagles midfield design

Cos thats worked so well.

Watched the modern version of a midfield recently?

Stop looking at stats - watch footy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back