Bluemour Discussion Thread VII (cont. in pt VIII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody is saying that the next 2 drafts run very deep. With that in mind I wouldn't be so quick to hand over next year's 2nd round pick. Let SOS earn his pay, in past years he has been good at keeping his powder dry until it matters. We can trade next Wednesday as easily as we can trade today. We'd all like loads of trades but frankly keeping a load of keyboard warriors (like myself) happy with trades is far less important than getting the best deal for Carlton. If some deals go through that give us different picks maybe the whole situation changes and we have something different to offer. Maybe we do a pick swap somewhere to stay in next year's 2nd round, i dont know but i'm not panicking yet.

regarding kennedy to brisbane - could just be a media hype up.
GWS and us are on the same page, waiting to see what happens with other trades . no need to rush what is already a formality perhaps.

The thing is Schache is no where near worth #10.

The question is do you demand #10 and take it to the draft or do you settle for #16 and on trade it to Brisbane for Schache?
(In my opinion Schache is only worth a late first round / early 2nd rd pick).

I just think with Charlie, Harry & BSOS our forward stocks are coming together nicely.
The expectation on BSOS astounds me around here. Imagine what it will be like when he actually plays with us!

Last edited:
Unfortunately we don't just have a mid problem though do we? Stringer would value add big time. Saad apparently so. Kennedy joining a plethora of developing types (SPS etc) plus returning players (Cripps, E Curnow) our midfield is not going to miss Gibbs as much as people think. Then there is pick 3 (or 7,8!)Yes, we do need a big fish or two very soon. Shiel type perhaps? As my comment indicated I doubt the suggestion of Kennedy, Stringer,Saad will get done as our poker face trading style has collapsed before and * are in the box seat to complete a pretty decent trio and we are not, again. We need to find a way to get Kennedy to keep the deal from Gibbs trade dependancy. If we miss out on Kennedy then the old saying " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" will never be more apt.

Yes Cripps will make a difference and we can expect some improvement in our younger players but Ed is no Messiah, in fact not much of an upgrade on Kerridge (if any). Worth remembering that Cripps, Ed and all those young players were available early in the year and we were still being beaten.

The loss of Gibbs will set us back as it's becoming increasingly evident that we will be unable to replace him with an experienced player.

We have, potentially as good prospects in the forward and backlines but for them to grow we need to improve the mids and that won't be done in the medium term through the draft. BTW, Kennedy is likely to be a very good player but not the difference next year.

Everybody is saying that the next 2 drafts run very deep. With that in mind I wouldn't be so quick to hand over next year's 2nd round pick. Let SOS earn his pay, in past years he has been good at keeping his powder dry until it matters. We can trade next Wednesday as easily as we can trade today. We'd all like loads of trades but frankly keeping a load of keyboard warriors (like myself) happy with trades is far less important than getting the best deal for Carlton. If some deals go through that give us different picks maybe the whole situation changes and we have something different to offer. Maybe we do a pick swap somewhere to stay in next year's 2nd round, i dont know but i'm not panicking yet.

Everyone said this year was deep as 18 months ago. It's a crock of s**t

The thing is Schache is no where near worth #10.

The question is do you demand #10 and take it to the draft or do you settle for #16 and on trade it to Brisbane for Schache?
(In my opinion Schache is only worth a late first round / early 2nd rd pick).

I just think with Charlie, Harry & BSOS our forward stocks are coming together nicely.
really? We're adding a kid who's a year away from even being drafted?! REALLY? something about counting eggs and hatching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im happy with a trade of 2018 seconds with gws for Kennedy. That's fair. Hopefully they fall down the ladder and we rise a bit and it's closer than it is now.

I don't think SOS will. I think he sees the 2018 draft as the last big hit of young talent in the rebuild. He will try and have as many picks as possible

Did you think in '95 that youd be in your 60's before #17?
Ha, s**t no! I would have moved to NZ, avoided a decade of Howard, 20 years of failure and rode the All Blicks train to brutal glory..........

The expectation on BSOS astounds me around here. Imagine what it will be like when he actually plays with us!
don't want details, MS3, just give us hope for something sweet and wonderful..........

GWS getting Brisbane to feign interest in Kennedy is to push Carlton to do a trade favorable to them rather than allowing Kennedy to put himself into the PSD.
More likely GWS floating that other clubs are still circling to a favoured journalist. It's no doubt true, but it's safe to say that a 2nd rounder from us is his peak value.

An alternative thought as to why we haven't already paid our 2018 second for Kennedy... What if that pick is in play in an entirely different trade? For example, a potential Bryce Gibbs trade. Carlton get pick 10, Melbourne's 2018 1st round pick and Adelaide's 2018 2nd round pick for Gibbs and our 2018 2nd round pick?

A trade like that accomplishes what we demanded last year (2 first round picks for Gibbs) but also lessens the price on Adelaide (similar to the Geelong trade last year where our second may not be that much lower than the first that we acquire).
This is type of reason why we'd be holding onto that pick rather than downtrading it, but I'd be surprised (and thrilled) if the trade went down that way.

Without adjusting for the delays of the future pick and the relative quality of the two drafts, your trade is equivalent to pick 3 on points, so not sure we'll see the 2nd round back from them.

Seems GWS play hard ball with us but not so much with others. Pricks.
Smith (chronic knee issue) and Ahern (has missed 2 full seasons now with his ACL) are the only deals that I can think of where players went for cheaper than what we paid.

Read between the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back