Garry Lyon & Tim Watson: "Carlton aren't a big four club anymore."

Who should take Carlton's place in the big four?

• West Coast

Votes: 121 23.7%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 30 5.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 267 52.3%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 28 5.5%
  • Geelong

Votes: 23 4.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 27 5.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the qualifying for this big four club title change to suit the argument?

Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond and Essendon have the most fans but this does include 3-game membership numbers.

Is it about financial security? West Coast is a financial powerhouse.

Garry Lyon: "Carlton don't deserve to be considered big four like Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon anymore."

Tim Watson: "They aren't a destination club, no one wants to go there."

Interesting. Thoughts?

Essendon is getting "wind assisted" help from AFL HQ after the drugs disgrace. How anyone doesn't see through the Gerballs like Public Relations push for Essendon is a nuff nuff.

Does the AFL seriously think people are that stupid?

Which brings me to one thing, is the AFL too focused on PR Spin and not enough on actually providing a good product (i.e. real footy) these days?

Last edited:
Does the qualifying for this big four club title change to suit the argument?

Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond and Essendon have the most fans but this does include 3-game membership numbers.

Is it about financial security? West Coast is a financial powerhouse.
Its about general support and power in Melbourne/Victoria. Big 4 hasnt changed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to wonder how much money the AFL leaves on the table in the interests of competition evenness.

A season with the top four of Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton would rake in millions.

People say the AFL is money hungry, but let’s be honest, if they really were they’d just let the competition play out like that.

Just a historical Melbourne thing.

North, Hawthorn and Footscray were 1925 expansion clubs.

Geelong were a country club.

Fitzroy always struggled with support because they were sandwiched geographically by bigger clubs.

St Kilda and South Melbourne hugely unsuccessful on field.

Melbourne had a small, apathetic supporter base from outside the large working class and no geographic suburban area.

Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond were the bigger clubs, hence the big 4. That's all it is.

As much as it pains me to say I have to agree based purely on membership levels.

I still think the games between the old 'Big 4' still average very large crowds and have stood the test of time.

There have been shorter term rivalries that draw the crowds and we need to see if they stand up over 20-30 years.

I'd still be confident to say that in 2040 a Carlton v Richmond, Collingwood or Essendon would draw a big crowd at the G'.

West Coast :huh::'( Maybe in members but on field....Nah, Not even close.

I would say Geelong then the Dees

Back