Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think to be drafted from outside Victoria you have to stand out. This is especially true in NSW and Queensland. If you are pretty good, then there are hundreds of kids that are pretty good in the TAC and Vic schools that the recruiters know and have seen week in and week out for many years. Why would they pick some kid from NSW that they don't know over a similar kid in Melbourne that they know well.

So for non Vic kids you either have to be very good, or move to Melbourne and hope the recruiters get to know you. The risk with going to Melb is that you start at the bottom with few contacts, and you may significantly disrupt your footy and school.

I know we went through this with our son at the Swans Academy. We had support from Geelong and Carlton to move him to a school in Melbourne, however he would have chucked his final year of school and there was a real risk that he would have struggled with the footy.

He is a good player, and if he grew up in Melbourne might have been draftable. But he is not yet a standout player and so growing up in Sydney means he is not on anyone's radar. The compounding factor of course is that other clubs are also discouraged from looking at these kids because they don't want to compete with the Swans Academies drafting rights.

For the swans themselves, their recruiting team is based in Melbourne and is deliberately (and correctly) separate from the Sydney Academy. If a Sydney player is a standout (Mills Heeney etc) they are very interested but a good kid, again they have the whole TAC group to choose from.

In summary if you are outside Vic you have to be very good to make it worthwhile for the recruiters to look at you.

To be frank that's just downright rubbish and fits in with the remainder of your chip-on-shoulder argument.

There were valid concerns as to how Graham's game would translate to the AFL, clearly he is capable of succeeding given his performance on the biggest stage. Recruiters may have collectively undervalued him but it's got nothing to do with the state he hails from (and with time they may well be proven reasonably accurate in their initial assessment as a late draft pick) and everything to do with the style of his success in the 18's. Every year there are sub 180cm strong and stocky little midfielders who sttaistically perform exceptionally strongly against their peers but are adjudged as being a sufficiently likely shot to not make it in the very limited number of positions within an AFL best 22 for such a player.

For Powell-Pepper the question was the level of production he was capable of and the skill to which he disposed of the ball. The admiration of his strengths of being a physical beast and leader of men was widely touted. The concerns were valid (backed by statistics) and shared by myself in watching his final year of junior football. He's already shown in his first year of professional footy that kicking ability is not going to be a hindrance in his career and that there should be no reason production will affect him to a great extent once his midfield minutes inevitably increase. That's a reflection of credit for the young man himself in his desire to improve rather than anything to do with some self-defeating conspiracy by club recruiters
Recruiters were wrong about Graham (as was I). You have two Vic Country mids on your list, Drew and Atley, who Graham towelled up at the Champs last year. He was discounted because he's not much to look at. Richmond supposedly would have taken him at 29 if Bolton was gone.

Recruiters were wrong about Graham (as was I). You have two Vic Country mids on your list, Drew and Atley, who Graham towelled up at the Champs last year. He was discounted because he's not much to look at. Richmond supposedly would have taken him at 29 if Bolton was gone.

Graham may or may not be a very good player for a long period of time. At the moment he is 5 games into a career. One swallow does not make a summer.

Secondly, the fact he is from SA I don't think played a massive role in his position on draft day.

There are plenty of talented Vic players that drift in a draft year that outperform others selected above them.

I do agree with a previous poster that certain parts of Australia may have limited recruitment resources, but this is just a fact of life that with limited funds you have to allocate them into areas that get the most bang for your buck and Victoria is that area.

Graham may or may not be a very good player for a long period of time. At the moment he is 5 games into a career. One swallow does not make a summer.

Secondly, the fact he is from SA I don't think played a massive role in his position on draft day.

There are plenty of talented Vic players that drift in a draft year that outperform others selected above them.

I do agree with a previous poster that certain parts of Australia may have limited recruitment resources, but this is just a fact of life that with limited funds you have to allocate them into areas that get the most bang for your buck and Victoria is that area.
No, I wasn't saying where he is from had anything to do with his draft position, more his unfashionable style.

At the moment he is a premiership player who starred on grand final day. His career is already a success, no matter what comes next.

Recruitment (and indeed selection) is not as simple as player x played better than player y on a particular day. Simply have to accept that extrapolation of a players potential and assessing the likelihood of them achieving that needs to be taken into consideration. Otherwise you would have drafted Pat McGinnity rather than Trent Cotchin after he absolutely towelled him up in a game a decade ago when they were juniors!

Graham, much like Caleb Daniel the year previous looks like he's going to prove the overwhelming consensus wrong. Will reiterate though that every year we see numerous high possession in and under smalls perform strongly, but eventually find it difficult to make the grade at senior level.

Recruitment (and indeed selection) is not as simple as player x played better than player y on a particular day. Simply have to accept that extrapolation of a players potential and assessing the likelihood of them achieving that needs to be taken into consideration. Otherwise you would have drafted Pat McGinnity rather than Trent Cotchin after he absolutely towelled him up in a game a decade ago when they were juniors!

Graham, much like Caleb Daniel the year previous looks like he's going to prove the overwhelming consensus wrong. Will reiterate though that every year we see numerous high possession in and under smalls perform strongly, but eventually find it difficult to make the grade at senior level.

I suppose the weird thing with Graham was he actually won the Lark medal, not sure what else he could have done to propel himself up the draft order

Der.

My current top 10 in no particular order (as trade week goes for another 11 days!) includes:

Naughton, LDU, Cerra, Stephenson, Rayner, Coffield, Brayshaw, Higgins, Clark and Dow.

Once the final draft order is determined, I'll probably sift these and others into some vague stab at a top....something.

We are all on a hiding to nothing though aren't we?

I see you rate Naughton in your top 10

I have watched him a number of times live in both home and away games for Peel league and think that he could be a very solid defender for many years at afl level.

What qualities do you think he has that makes him a top 10 pick over other players in the draft and above other kpp players?

True But when you consider that Graham came to the club injured and got re injured early on and played his 5 games without a preseason and to perform in 3 finals against top 4 teams with elite talent on their lists and do what he did is a sensational start to his career and will definitely improve with another 2-3 preseasons under his belt. He has the game to play 200 and is hard and tough

I wouldn't exchange him for a pick between 10-20 in this years draft from the games i have seen him play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see you rate Naughton in your top 10

I have watched him a number of times live in both home and away games for Peel league and think that he could be a very solid defender for many years at afl level.

What qualities do you think he has that makes him a top 10 pick over other players in the draft and above other kpp players?

Already establishing himself at senior level. Appears to have enough aggression and physicality to play on senior AFL listed opponents.

Frankly, he is by far and away the most "ready to go" key tall in this crop and if a an interstate team doesn't grab him before WC (currently have #13) then he will definitely be gone by then. Fremantle at #5 might seem a stretch but with all the other projected top 10 coming from outside WA, it wouldn't surprise me if Fremantle grab him.

It's clear this new culture of free agency is starting to bring in a big trend of "go home" players. So why not pick a talented KPP who won't have to leave home and possibly play 10-15 years for you?

Already establishing himself at senior level. Appears to have enough aggression and physicality to play on senior AFL listed opponents.

Frankly, he is by far and away the most "ready to go" key tall in this crop and if a an interstate team doesn't grab him before WC (currently have #13) then he will definitely be gone by then. Fremantle at #5 might seem a stretch but with all the other projected top 10 coming from outside WA, it wouldn't surprise me if Fremantle grab him.

It's clear this new culture of free agency is starting to bring in a big trend of "go home" players. So why not pick a talented KPP who won't have to leave home and possibly play 10-15 years for you?
In WC's case, another key defender is not exactly the highest priority.

In WC's case, another key defender is not exactly the highest priority.

Understood, but McKenzie & Schofield are nearing the end of their prime and aside from McGovern & Barrass - what's coming through? If you can nail a 10+ year key defender who won't go home because home is in WA, you'd do that wouldn't you?

Understood, but McKenzie & Schofield are nearing the end of their prime and aside from McGovern & Barrass - what's coming through? If you can nail a 10+ year key defender who won't go home because home is in WA, you'd do that wouldn't you?
They may, but probably not with your first pick when you are desperate for midfielders. No doubt he is a reasonable selection at 13 though. Seems perfect.

I suppose the weird thing with Graham was he actually won the Lark medal, not sure what else he could have done to propel himself up the draft order
I took graham at about 32 in last years bf phantom draft because he won the footy, was strong and honest and had a game that could compete I also believed people were looking for flaws that weren't there or not really significant. Before I pump my tyres up too much I took Dylan Clarke 10 spots earlier and he didn't play senior footy!
Chris25 only rated my drafting a B! I drafted the rising star and arguably the grand final surprise packet. I want my apology;););):):):) tongue firmly in cheek

Hey Bishop, do you see anything weird about Collingwood delisting all their KPD depth, when it's pretty scant to begin with? Any chance they're going to draft a KPD with 6, or are they just playing funny buggers?
Edit: KPD not LOT.

Last edited:
Morning Bishop

We've heard from various sources that Port is interested in Jackson Ross, Liam Ryan and Bailey Banfield. Any other whispers you have heard on prospects the port recruiters have their eye on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back