Opinion Out of all these young guys, who will make it?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe we didn't have him on the list... :( I have always thought he had a chance to make it.

Yes, I'm looking back and thinking I was a little enthusiastic!! Lol :rolleyes:

At least people are having a go before the fact.
This thread will be alive & well when the "I told you so hindsight police" get their hands on it in a year or so.

Watch your back Kirkswan!:)

Will Hayward (200+ games)
Oliver Florent (200+ games)
Aliir Aliir (200+ games)
Nic Newman (100-150 games)
Sam Naismith (100 games)
Harrison Marsh (75-100 games)
Jordan Dawson (50 games)
Robbie Fox (50 games)
James Rose (less than 25)
Jordan Foote (less than 25)
Rounded down to nearest 50 milestone

Hayward 200
Heeney 200
Hewett 200
Mills 200
Papley 200
Florent 150
Jones 150
Melican 150
Dawson 100
Newman 100
Naismith 50
Aliir 50 (traded)
Marsh <50
Foote <50
Rose <50
Fox <50

Hayward 200
Heeney 200
Hewett 200
Mills 200
Papley 200
Florent 150
Jones 150
Melican 150
Dawson 100
Newman 100
Naismith 50
Aliir 50 (traded)
Marsh <50
Foote <50
Rose <50
Fox <50
But I'm one of the Aliir fans so I hope Aliir finds form during pre-season and gets to make a position his own.

But I'm one of the Aliir fans so I hope Aliir finds form during pre-season and gets to make a position his own.

Me too, I don't think he will stay though unfortunately. Hopefully he does.

At least people are having a go before the fact.
This thread will be alive & well when the "I told you so hindsight police" get their hands on it in a year or so.

Watch your back Kirkswan!:)
I'm not worried about my back lol, it already has plenty of knives hanging out...

Me and my bleeding heart are always happy to have a go and be positive, being proved wrong at a later date doesn't reduce the enjoyment of hope along the way... :D

Hayward 200
Heeney 200
Hewett 200
Mills 200
Papley 200
Florent 150
Jones 150
Melican 150
Dawson 100
Newman 100
Naismith 50
Aliir 50 (traded)
Marsh <50
Foote <50
Rose <50
Fox <50

I'm confused. Why would the first five be any more likely to reach the 200 game milestone than Florent or Jones or Melican? Especially the latter two given they're already locks in the best 22 at such young ages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused. Why would the first five be any more likely to reach the 200 game milestone than Florent or Jones or Melican? Especially the latter two given they're already locks in the best 22 at such young ages

Not many players play 200 games. Only 29 players have played 200 games for Sydney/South in our entire existence (with Smith, Hannebery and Kennedy all on their way around 190~ games)

In hindsight, going with 5 is already fairly generous. Plus Jones probably misses 50 games through suspension :p

Just look at that bloody list!! We have some great kids don't we?!

Happy to back them in. F**k chasing other clubs leftovers like Motlop or Watts... Focus on retaining (long term) the Melicans, Florents & Haywards & I'm one hellahappy Gottha.
Yep agree and it appears to me that this is exactly the clubs plan and I for one am pretty happy with that plan, particularly if we remain as competitive as we have been for the past few years.

Not many players play 200 games. Only 29 players have played 200 games for Sydney/South in our entire existence (with Smith, Hannebery and Kennedy all on their way around 190~ games)

In hindsight, going with 5 is already fairly generous. Plus Jones probably misses 50 games through suspension :p
One thing worth mentioning is how much that has changed in recent years. It used to be very rare for a player to reach 300, now it feels like every second week a player makes that milestones. The Swans had no 300 gamers them all of a sudden 3!

Okay so we've had a lot of new guys last season and so far this year. Time to make some predications so we can bump the thread in 10 years and laugh at everyone for bad opinions. Including mine possibly. Of course some of these guys are teenagers and trying to predict their development is basically impossible (who saw Aliir coming?) but the point of the thread is to do it so don't give me this "he's too young" business.

The question is - who of the following will play 150+ games? I've picked the guys on our list who have debuted but played less than 20 games.

James Rose
Jordan Foote
Will Hayward
Oliver Florent
Nic Newman
Harrison Marsh
Jordan Dawson
Sam Naismith
Aliir Aliir
Robbie Fox

I think Hayward, Marsh, Aliir and Naismith will go on to play 150 games.

Rose will probably get cut this year.

Foote, Newman and Fox will probably be depth players for a few years but won't have huge impact.

Florent is giving me huge Pat Veszpremi vibes, I.e a bust.

Jordan Dawson will struggle to get a game when we're all fit.

End of year look and things are looking good for Hayward, Florent, Newman, Dawson, Naismith and Aliir.

Rose will be lucky if he survives on an AFL list past next year

Him and Hiscox were picks 37 & 38 :$

Both were considered massive reaches at the time too.

Could have had Neal-Bullen, Caleb Daniel, Oscar McDonald, Mitch McGovern, or Ed Langdon in hindsight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back