Play Nice First transgender player in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( poor Hannah. She'd be feeling pretty blah right now

Not surprised by the decision unfortunately
Hannah gets a tonne of publicity and will more than likely make more money off of Hannah's notoriety than actually playing football.

Should start a AFLLBQZXCT league
That way trans people could play footy in a afl league if they are good enough.

But then players who identify as female will complain they have to play against players who identify as male etc.

The IOC developed the rules in response to transgender and intersex competitors in athletics, after the IAAF were taken to CAS so gender non-conforming athletes could compete. The idea that there is some kind of long standing rigour behind the IOC's decision is a fallacy - it was completely a political decision. The science at best is inconclusive, but more likely favours the assertion that athletes born male will retain significant advantages after transition.

Seems you know a lot more than I on this. I'd have imagined the IOC would have undertaken a scientific study to land on the specific amounts of testorone (or the specific substance they measure which the name of escapes me) an athlete can have in there body.

You're suggesting the study was brief to back up a pre held view?

Many contact sports are competed in at Olympic level. Rugby, boxing, wrestling, judo, a whole host of combat sports. The IOC oversees competition of these at the Olympic level

Have you got examples of them approving transgender women rugby players?

The most up-to-date scientific literature supports the IOC's (International Olympic Committee) decision to allow trans women to compete.

Australia is once again way behind the times.
Is this the same IOC that thought having the Olympics in Rio was a good idea?

The IOC developed the rules in response to transgender and intersex competitors in athletics, after the IAAF were taken to CAS so gender non-conforming athletes could compete. The idea that there is some kind of long standing rigour behind the IOC's decision is a fallacy - it was completely a political decision. The science at best is inconclusive, but more likely favours the assertion that athletes born male will retain significant advantages after transition.

Seems you know a lot more than I on this. I'd have imagined the IOC would have undertaken a scientific study to land on the specific amounts of testorone (or the specific substance they measure which the name of escapes me) an athlete can have in there body.

But then players who identify as female will complain they have to play against players who identify as male etc.
Perhaps split the trans league in to 2 conferences. One is former females who identify as males the second,former males who identify as females.

Are people really questioning THE International Olympic Committee? The IOC is THE highest sporting body on the planet.

Their findings were clear. The current scientific literature supports their decision.

This is SCIENCE. Not politics.

The AFL gave in to fear and hysteria.

The IOC themselves said their decision to permit transgender athletes was due to political and social factors.

Former IOC medical commission chairman Arne Ljungqvist, who was among the experts involved in drafting the new guidelines, said the consensus was driven by social and political changes.

“It has become much more of a social issue than in the past,” he told Associated Press. “We had to review and look into this from a new angle. We needed to adapt to the modern legislation around the world. We felt we cannot impose a surgery if that is no longer a legal requirement.​

It used to be that you had to have surgery, but they changed the rules in 2016. Mouncey has not had surgery.

Perhaps split the trans league in to 2 conferences. One is former females who identify as males the second,former males who identify as females.

What about those who don't identify with either gender? They need a league too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people really questioning THE International Olympic Committee? The IOC is THE highest sporting body on the planet.

Their findings were clear. The current scientific literature supports their decision.

No, you are wrong

The IOC themselves said their decision to permit transgender athletes was due to political and social factors.

Former IOC medical commission chairman Arne Ljungqvist, who was among the experts involved in drafting the new guidelines, said the consensus was driven by social and political changes.

“It has become much more of a social issue than in the past,” he told Associated Press. “We had to review and look into this from a new angle. We needed to adapt to the modern legislation around the world. We felt we cannot impose a surgery if that is no longer a legal requirement.​

It used to be that you had to have surgery, but they changed the rules in 2016. Mouncey has not had surgery.

Fair enough. Although it's possible to listen to social pressures, then complete a scientific study and make an educated decision with that information.

:( poor Hannah. She'd be feeling pretty blah right now

Not surprised by the decision unfortunately
Fortunately for those with any common sense, "feeling pretty blah" doesn't give you the right to play in a competition against women, who were born with much slighter skeletons than poor old hannah. Step in the right direction for logic and reason in sport, and pushing "feels" to the side where it belongs.

The most up-to-date scientific literature supports the IOC's (International Olympic Committee) decision to allow trans women to compete.

You're welcome to state your opinion on the matter and I am aware of the IOC's stance.

Please don't then take the next step of throwing a blanket over the whole of Australia and imply that the whole country isn't intelligent or advanced because a sporting organization wont allow a transgender person to play in a fledgling professional sport.

Currently there's a big difference between Olympic sports and AFLW namely professionalism and/or training standards. Just 12 months ago women's football was amateur and clubs have spoken about the just how far off a lot of players were in respect to their fitness. You only have to look at how the likes Erin Phillips could dominate the comp for an example.

Also compounding the matter is a lot of women haven't grown up playing footy continuously.

Maybe in a few years a different decision would be appropriate, but right now it's too early in the life of the comp for trans women who have very recently competed professionally as a male.

Probably not wise to invoke a corrupt bunch of campaigners like the IOC to support your argument.

pfft. HE has grown up his whole life with more testosterone that any female can naturally. He has had a significant head start and advantage over every other women playing in the AFLW. Just because his test levels are low NOW, shouldn't mean he is allowed to compete against women with he same test levels.

I'm reading this that she can still compete at the local level. Am I right? That seems to be the AFL having a foot in each camp. Either she can play women's football or she can't.
Agreed, she either has an unfair advantage or she doesn't. If you're going to block her entering the AFLW then it has to be at all levels, just like if a player is suspended or given a life ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back