Play Nice First transgender player in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dont understand the decision not allowed to play in the AFLW but is allowed to play in a local league.

Would it not stand to reason that she would be less dominant in the higher level AFLW than a local league?

Fortunately for those with any common sense, "feeling pretty blah" doesn't give you the right to play in a competition against women, who were born with much slighter skeletons than poor old hannah. Step in the right direction for logic and reason in sport, and pushing "feels" to the side where it belongs.

I have common sense.
I also have empathy.

pfft. HE has grown up his whole life with more testosterone that any female can naturally. He has had a significant head start and advantage over every other women playing in the AFLW. Just because his test levels are low NOW, shouldn't mean he is allowed to compete against women with he same test levels.

Hannah called herself a woman. You are being hugely disrespectful

How can something be both a social construct and a spectrum? Does society construct infinite genders? How?

How can something biological be a social construct?

If biological sex is a social construct, then what is gender?
The distinction SHOULD be clear, but many uninformed people misuse biological sex in social constructive parameters. It shouldn't be, but alas.

Dont understand the decision not allowed to play in the AFLW but is allowed to play in a local league.

Would it not stand to reason that she would be less dominant in the higher level AFLW than a local league?

That's the bit that makes no sense to me. You can make a reasonable case for either letting her play AFLW or not but you can't make a logical case for saying no to AFLW but letting her play in the local league.

Just when you think the AFL has maximised the stupid....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be considered a woman in the ACT you needn't have had surgery, unlike most other states.

Biological sex is a SPECTRUM. It is not rigid, static. The current scientific literature is clear on this. Biological sex is for taxonomic categorization and social classification.

Sex is defined by a consortium of arbitrary traits akin to phenotype. There are "women" with broad shoulders and small pelvises. There are "men" with wide child-bearing hips and narrow biacromial breadth. Look at Kinfelters Syndrome. I know girls who have wider shoulders than 99% of men.

In the context of physicality and sports, reproductive organs are not the defining characteristic. It's the arbitrarily assigned traits that regardless of "biological sex" is on a spectrum.

This is common knowledge in the science world and on campus.

I have common sense.
I also have empathy.
Clearly lacking the first.
Empathy is all well and good but you can't make every single decision based off of misguided empathy.

I don't think it's empathetic to the woman who would have inevitably been crunched by someone who is 6 foot 3 and 100kgs, bigger than most men. What if she suffered life long brain injuries? Hannah's skeleton is that of a man's, the women she'd be playing against not only have much smaller skeletons but have much thinner skulls, which means brain injurys are far more likely if a 6 foot 3 100kg man hits them.

I've seen a couple of stories quoting parts of their statement. Here's one:

The AFL based its decision on the Victorian Equal Opportunity Act, which states that athletes can be discriminated against based on their sex or gender "if strength, stamina or physique is relevant".

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...-to-enter-aflw-draft-rejected-20171017-gz2n6h
That says to me they're going to take this on a case by case basis for the time being. I'm not sure a 60kgs trans woman would have caused the same level of concern.

Biological sex is a SPECTRUM. It is not rigid, static. The current scientific literature is clear on this. Biological sex is for taxonomic categorization and social classification.

Sex is defined by a consortium of arbitrary traits akin to phenotype. There are "women" with broad shoulders and small pelvises. There are "men" with wide child-bearing hips and narrow biacromial breadth. Look at Kinfelters Syndrome. I know girls who have wider shoulders than 99% of men.

In the context of physicality and sports, reproductive organs are not the defining characteristic. It's the arbitrarily assigned traits that regardless of "biological sex" is on a spectrum.

This is common knowledge in the science world and on campus.
You're right, there are also some 13 year olds more developed than some 17 year olds, so lets let any given 17 year old the opportunity to play against 13 year olds, because equality and empathy or something.

Stay in your lane.

Biological sex is a SPECTRUM.
No, it isn't. It had two clear expressions that make up over 99% of all humans, with a small subset of variances due to androgen sensitivities and chromosomal abnormalities.

Humans are a sexually dimorphic species, like all sexually reproducing species, meaning that it is anything but a spectrum.

Haha the AFL will never win this political correctness battle no matter what direction they take.
Have a league for everyone no matter what the gender and we still have issues.
Or create a whole heap of competitions. No one is ever going to be happy.

Where should Hannah compete? Good luck AFL :) good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back