Play Nice First transgender player in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the various articles today, it does seem that there was considerable consultation between all parties, and none of those involved seem to have a bad word to say about the process - only people on the outside looking in.
Absolutely I feel the AFL have done there best in this difficult situation.

Hopefully the powers to be will include trans sports people
in their further discussions and policy making.

Personally I will keep championing the cause and hopefully the policies of the future and sporting organisations will be better equippedto handle this type of situation.

Thanks
Wookie for your amazing input
Into this subject one again xxx

Are you in the 'race is a social construct' camp?

Im the camp of going with accepted scientific consensus. So:

1) Gravity is caused by mass
2) Energy = mass x the speed of light squared
3) Special relativity explains much of Newtons work
4) Anthropic climate change is real
5) Race is a social construct
6) Uncertainty is a quality of electrons.

And so forth.

LOL.

Surprised you aren't pushing your 'the NBA is full of African Americans because cultural reasons' barrow, too.

Thats not what you asked.

You asked if [race is a social construct] reflects the scientific consensus. It does.

You might disagree that it does reflect the consensus (you'd be wrong) or disagree with the consensus (thats a different matter, and sadly the accepted consenus disagrees with you) of course.

Im sure if their daughter/sister/ girlfriend or whatever was playing in the AFL W and had to go up against a 190cm former elite male athlete they might have second thoughts. It would be unsafe to allow her to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe another sport can introduce a no holds barred transgender whatever league and all the outraged can get memberships

I thought not......

Personally I've always peversely somehow wanted an 'anything goes' Olympics. No drug tests, go nuts.

Weight lifting and Cycling are drug riddled in any event. Its more a question of how good you are at hiding it.

its a fairly well known disorder, not my fault your knowledge is limited.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19132621

Thats not a person who 'identifies as an amputee, but isnt'. Its a person who desires to be an amputee. I honestly cant see a person who is not disabled being allowed into the para-olympics (as you asserted) unless they were in fact disabled.

But close enough.

It shouldn't even be a case of the size of the player. It has to be as cut and dry as not a women = can't play

You can't go letting smaller trans women play because its safer than allowing the bigger ones in. If the size was the issue then you would have to also not allow large women to play either

Thats not a person who 'identifies as an amputee, but isnt'. Its a person who desires to be an amputee. I honestly cant see a person who is not disabled being allowed into the para-olympics (as you asserted) unless they were in fact disabled.

But close enough.

A Spanish Men's Basketball team participated in the 2000 Paralympics in an intellectually impaired category and were later found to be fraudulent and stripped of their medals http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2994623/Disabled-Sport-Sydney-cheats-stripped-of-medals.html

Its a strawman.

People with schitzophrenia cant function in society becuase they percieve a totally different reality. They harm themselves, often becoming homeless, struggling to find and engage in work and society, or live normal productive lives. Entertaining and encourage it and you simply make those problems worse.

A transgender person percieves a different self-identity within that reality. It harms no-one. Entertaining it ameliorates the only problem with it which is depression and unhappiness. Allow and encourage them to express that self identity, and they become happier and live fuller lives.

One is a disorder because it is debilitating and harmful to the person unless supressed. The other only becomes debilitating and harmful to the person if supressed.

This seems a strawman to me...Going by the criteria of 'homelessness', or perhaps a more significant 'suicide' statistic in the below link, transgenderism ought to fit the same criteria of being harmful? It seems the only difference is that we try to be final judge and arbiter on whose perceptions are right (using our own subjective perceptions mind you).

The claim that entertaining it magically makes these all go away seems at worst false, and misleading at best, depending on which studies you accept/reject. (link 2).

http://time.com/4595422/transgender-survey-data-united-states/
http://thefederalist.com/2015/08/19/transgender-regret-is-real-even-if-the-media-tell-you-otherwise/

Call me old fashioned, ignorant or whatever. But if you were born with a penis and are 190 cm tall, you really shouldn't be playing one of the world's most contact-heavy and running-heavy sports against people who were born women. That's not fair.

I have a good mate who was born a male and is currently transitioning. That doesn't make me an expert but I sympathise with transgender Australians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back