MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
Brand new to the forum and just saying hello. I've enjoyed watching the AFL here in England on BT Sports, and have been getting to grips with the rules slowly but surely, though not yet perfectly! I adopted St Kilda as my team for two reasons: they share the colours of my beloved Manchester United and because, as an underdog, they need the support!

I really enjoyed last weekend's Grand Final; congratulations to Richmond.

Hopefully a top eight finish for the Saints next year! Any St Kilda fans here?

Brand new to the forum and just saying hello. I've enjoyed watching the AFL here in England on BT Sports, and have been getting to grips with the rules slowly but surely, though not yet perfectly! I adopted St Kilda as my team for two reasons: they share the colours of my beloved Manchester United and because, as an underdog, they need the support!

St kilda board has a few.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forums/st-kilda.22/

Many thanks for that, lethal 03; I shall certainly watch it. The guy there with the Fitzroy sign - they became the Brisbane Lions but have started up in their own right again, yes? South Melbourne became Sydney Swans, and Footscray became the Western Bulldogs. I've garnered a bit of knowledge thus far :)

Getting there and enjoying learning. I'd rather watch an AFL match than either code of rugby now; it's much more dynamic and the ball skills whilst on the move are exceptional.

Many thanks for that, lethal 03; I shall certainly watch it. The guy there with the Fitzroy sign - they became the Brisbane Lions but have started up in their own right again, yes? South Melbourne became Sydney Swans, and Footscray became the Western Bulldogs. I've garnered a bit of knowledge thus far :)

Getting there and enjoying learning. I'd rather watch an AFL match than either code of rugby now; it's much more dynamic and the ball skills whilst on the move are exceptional.
It's a quagmire taking on the Fitzroy topic :) don't get us started hahaha. Brisbane took the playing licence, Fitzroy remained as an inactive club for a couple years, then became naming sponsor of a VFL team and a VAFA team, and in 2009 merged with the VAFA team to resume as a participating club called Fitzroy. Currently 3rd Grade of VAFA (melbourne amateur comp)

But if you're in Manchester, you may also be interested in these blokes: http://www.manchesteraussierules.com/
The Mozzies are fairly inarguably the strongest aussie rules team in the AFLCNE, winning three quarters of the premierships since the competition has been running.

You might also be chuffed to learn that England just won the Euro Cup in both Mens & Womens divisions yesterday, held at Bordeaux France. Opponents in both cases were Ireland : http://www.afleurope.org/

Welcome and enjoy!

Mobbenfuhrer,what did the majority of Fitzroy fans do upon the merger with Brisbane - did most transfer their allegiance to Brisbane, or what? Nightmare scenario for supporters; same goes for South Melbourne. And what of the new clubs like Gold Coast and GWS, are they believed to have a long term future?

Mobbenfuhrer,what did the majority of Fitzroy fans do upon the merger with Brisbane - did most transfer their allegiance to Brisbane, or what? Nightmare scenario for supporters; same goes for South Melbourne. And what of the new clubs like Gold Coast and GWS, are they believed to have a long term future?
Scattered in different directions. Many went to Brissy, many went to other clubs, many went elsewhere. And some came back to Brisbane later.
I have no idea about GWS and Gold Coast as I don't follow the top tier of footy anymore. I would guess as league-generated entities they will get support if needed.

what did the majority of Fitzroy fans do upon the merger with Brisbane - did most transfer their allegiance to Brisbane, or what? Nightmare scenario for supporters; same goes for South Melbourne. And what of the new clubs like Gold Coast and GWS, are they believed to have a long term future?

Obviously the fans of Fitzroy and South Melbourne were upset at losing their team with their name,
but premierships to both teams helped heal misgivings since a premiership is the holly grail.
The Sydney Swans have good fan support in Melbourne because they have been very competitive over the years.
The Brisbane Lions support is not so strong because the Lions have been uncompetitive for a decent while.
Both the Gold Coast and GWS clubs were seen as long-term projects.
The Gold coast was seen as an easier startup despite a small population and initially they tracked well.
Despite huge potential GWS is the harder task and initially GWS tracked poorly due to lack of experienced players.
So much depends on onfield success.
IMO GWS were lucky not to get the star they were chasing as they now have a competitive balanced team.
The Gold Coast's fortunes have rested pretty much with their big star and now they have to rebuild.

You're in for some long hard years as a Saints supporter :)

Obviously the fans of Fitzroy and South Melbourne were upset at losing their team with their name,
but premierships to both teams helped heal misgivings since a premiership is the holly grail.
The Sydney Swans have good fan support in Melbourne because they have been very competitive over the years.
The Brisbane Lions support is not so strong because the Lions have been uncompetitive for a decent while.
Both the Gold Coast and GWS clubs were seen as long-term projects.
The Gold coast was seen as an easier startup despite a small population and initially they tracked well.
Despite huge potential GWS is the harder task and initially GWS tracked poorly due to lack of experienced players.
So much depends on onfield success.
IMO GWS were lucky not to get the star they were chasing as they now have a competitive balanced team.
The Gold Coast's fortunes have rested pretty much with their big star and now they have to rebuild.
Slight correction: A premiership is a holy grail to someone who has a football team.
Elsewise: Having a football team is a holy grail. ;)

As a Geelong fan (pain: 1964 - 2006, glory 2007 - 2011), I chose Sunderland because Geelong are the Cats.

You have to stick with the side you choose, because the narrative you then learn matters.

The ending of the 2009 Grand Final, and the 2010 Grand Final draw, will just break your heart. I'm sorry for 2009. I remember watching the finish in standing room - a grown man collapsed to the ground in agony because St Kilda lost.

As a Geelong fan (pain: 1964 - 2006, glory 2007 - 2011), I chose Sunderland because Geelong are the Cats.

You have to stick with the side you choose, because the narrative you then learn matters.

The ending of the 2009 Grand Final, and the 2010 Grand Final draw, will just break your heart. I'm sorry for 2009. I remember watching the finish in standing room - a grown man collapsed to the ground in agony because St Kilda lost.
That is bizarre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All 3 clubs have different stories.

Sth Melbourne relocated to Sydney and after about 3 years of playing as Sth Melbourne out of Sydney they became the Sydney Swans. They have a small SMFC logo on the back of the jumper above the number below the neckline in memory of Sth Melbourne. Sth Melbourne were broke in the days of the VFL and it was the only option to survive. They have had some difficult times in Sydney because of the fickle Sydney crowds but are a fantastically run club now. They have built a good base and have a lot of old Sth Melbourne Melbourne based support.

Fitzroy were going to merge with Footscray as both clubs were financially disasters but particularly Fitzroy. They ended up merging with the Brisbane Bears to become the Brisbane Lions. The Bears were inept as a franchise and were based on the Gold Coast (where Gold Coast Suns are now). They relocated from the Gold Coast to the Gabba in Brisbane. A good move to a ground with far better facilities.
The merger created a super team and they played in 4 Grand Finals in a row in the early 2000s winning 3 premierships. Since then they have struggled and have lost a lot of younger players back to there home states. Brisbane struggle to get great crowds being a rugby state but they seem to have a good coach and are getting the administration right. They finished bottom but they showed some promising signs this year. They have a BBFC on the jumper above the number.

Footscray is a bit different. They looked like merging with Fitzroy but after an amazing fund raising effort where average people donated money just to save them were able to survive in their own right. They changed the name from Footscray to to the Western Bulldogs more to appeal to a lot of newer areas in the burgeoning Western Suburbs of Melbourne. Many would argue if that was good for the club or not. I would say it has been good. They seem to be safe from financial strain now. The 2016 premiership brought a lot of money and joy to long suffering Dogs supporters. The Dogs have a FFC on the jumper above the number. The Western Bulldogs are still based in Footscray and are part of the local community.

Hope this clears it up a little.

Last edited:
Thanks for that reply, Zephiisdaman; good post. As you say, there is only so much room in Melbourne and a finite number of supporters to go around, which had severe consequences for South and Fitzroy.

Thanks for that reply, Zephiisdaman; good post. As you say, there is only so much room in Melbourne and a finite number of supporters to go around, which had severe consequences for South and Fitzroy.

There was another merger that was extremely close to happening between Hawthorn and Melbourne. This was just about over the line. Both boards had ratified it but were stopped at a town hall meeting by a passionate ex Hawthorn player Don Scott. The weird thing here is that Hawthorn have been easily the most successful club since the 60s but had poor support.
They’ve built a really good club with a huge support now as well as being financially stable for many generations to come.

It seems It’s possible that we might have either one too many teams in Melbourne still, or the Gold Coast Suns will continue to be a financial disaster.

Many suggest that Tasmania should have a franchise as they are a traditional Australian Rules state. The AFL don’t think of them as a growth market though. The population never really changes and they have issues with the Nth and Sth of state football associations hating each other is Tasmania.
I think, and, it’s only my opinion that the GCS or Nth Melbourne should relocate to Tasmania and set up headquarters in Hobart. Then play half the home games in Hobart and half in Launceston to satisfy all Tasmanians.
Nth Melbourne currently play 3 home games in Hobart, it isn’t a massive stretch to do what Sth Melbourne did in the Sydney market.

It remains to be seen what the future holds for Gold Coast Suns and Nth Melbourne at this stage. It seems to be a status quo. Older Nth Melbourne fans quite rightly would feel miffed if the club they love permanently moved to Tassie. In Melbourne though they seem to becoming irrelevant. They get horrible game times for tv watching. The crowds are low. They can’t attract big name Free Agents, players don’t want to go there it seems. They are still a few years off being a real threat for the premiership. That’s just my opinion and it’s no disrespect to Kangaroos club or supporters but it’s a long way back for them.

Hiya, AFL on BT sport is pretty awesome, as a United fan I fly up to Manchester every year or so, and always love watching AFL replays when the jetlag hits

Have you got a season ticket at Old Trafford by any chance? would be good to have a Sainters jersey sent up to Old Trafford

Hiya, AFL on BT sport is pretty awesome, as a United fan I fly up to Manchester every year or so, and always love watching AFL replays when the jetlag hits

Have you got a season ticket at Old Trafford by any chance? would be good to have a Sainters jersey sent up to Old Trafford

Hello pal, good to see another United fan. By the way, flying from Melbourne for a game is above and beyond the call of duty; massive effort and must cost a fortune! I used to have a season ticket for a number of years, but it just became too expensive. It's almost ten years since I last renewed my ST. It's great that Aussie Rules fans can get to watch their team at very affordable prices; that's how sport should be. Unfortunately, the EPL is all about money and revenue now, to the detriment of the fans. I have a membership, which allows me to pick and choose games when tickets go on sale, and I probably get to around half the home matches. I'll be at the Spurs game in a couple of weeks.

The AFL coverage on BT is very good; I really enjoy it, and first got interested in Aussie Rules via their live games. A big game under the lights is terrific viewing.

Hello pal, good to see another United fan. By the way, flying from Melbourne for a game is above and beyond the call of duty; massive effort and must cost a fortune! I used to have a season ticket for a number of years, but it just became too expensive. It's almost ten years since I last renewed my ST. It's great that Aussie Rules fans can get to watch their team at very affordable prices; that's how sport should be. Unfortunately, the EPL is all about money and revenue now, to the detriment of the fans. I have a membership, which allows me to pick and choose games when tickets go on sale, and I probably get to around half the home matches. I'll be at the Spurs game in a couple of weeks.

The AFL coverage on BT is very good; I really enjoy it, and first got interested in Aussie Rules via their live games. A big game under the lights is terrific viewing.
You must have let the season ticket go around the time the Glazers took over, definitely don't blame you I feel shame paying up when I get tickets to the hospitality areas, sometimes its the easiest way to get tickets outside of trying my luck with the Victorian United Supporter's club
I tried my luck with overseas membership but once the fixture list comes out, its a free for all getting tickets that way.

Mancunians are always super friendly to me and my australian mates when we hang around Bishops Blaize, The Trafford or these days the pub under Hotel Football they love we fly so far to watch United, I feel like Northern England folk and Australians are both welcoming and love a laugh and will buy you a beer.

The buzz of a big Finals game or friday night game certainly reminds me of big European nights I've been to at Old Trafford and even Wembley for Spurs when I went last season, AFL sometimes takes a bit more to get the crowd as buzzing though, but once its electric it rivals anything world wide

You must have let the season ticket go around the time the Glazers took over, definitely don't blame you I feel shame paying up when I get tickets to the hospitality areas, sometimes its the easiest way to get tickets outside of trying my luck with the Victorian United Supporter's club
I tried my luck with overseas membership but once the fixture list comes out, its a free for all getting tickets that way.

Mancunians are always super friendly to me and my australian mates when we hang around Bishops Blaize, The Trafford or these days the pub under Hotel Football they love we fly so far to watch United, I feel like Northern England folk and Australians are both welcoming and love a laugh and will buy you a beer.

The buzz of a big Finals game or friday night game certainly reminds me of big European nights I've been to at Old Trafford and even Wembley for Spurs when I went last season, AFL sometimes takes a bit more to get the crowd as buzzing though, but once its electric it rivals anything world wide

Excellent knowledge of the local pubs - impressive :). Yes, the people are good folk in the main. I'd love to visit Australia one day; long been an ambition of mine. Once those lottery numbers come up, I'll be on it :D

Odd - I chose Chelsea cause blue and white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back