Podcast CrowCast TNL Trade Week Wrap up Show tonight 8.45pm acst

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely gutted.

Considering how gutted and despondent we all feel, an outstanding CrowCast from NikkiNoo, macca23, and feenix67.

You guys really hit the nail on the head with your discussion and analysis of what went down.

I did my utmost to explain why (I thought) we lost here (well worth a read).

There were a whole lot of issues at play, but that absolute #1 factor that contributed to our loss more than anything else was our crumbing. Or lack there of. If you take a step back and look at both 2016 and 2017, we've had two basic patterns of ball movement:
  1. Firstly, look for un-manned team-mates in space (typically in the corridor), then hit them with short/medium angled passes (where these passes have got shorter and more precise in the 2nd half of the year).
  2. Secondly, if no un-manned team-mates are available, effect a long kick down the boundary, immediately force the ball out-of-bounds, then set up for a throw in.
And that's it.

What we have not done with any real degree of skill is be able to "crumb" the ball from long bomb dropped marks. Up Forward we do occasionally with Betts and Cameron, but rarely between the arcs. It's been either hit an un-manned team mate with precision in the corridor, or push for a throw in from out-of-bounds. Against Richmond, as you all so rightly pointed out, we couldn't find un-manned team mates in space (because unlike Geelong, Richmond are a quick side and denied our Mids open space between the arcs), so we kicked long down the line to a contest. But unlike many of our other opponents, Richmond didn't allow us to rush the ball out-of-bounds. They were able to effectively crumb from these long kicks....again and again and again and again (and again). We couldn't. And this very lack of crumbing ability killed us. If we wanted to play a high possession uncontested style and not kick to contests, we had to adopt a backward-handball-run-from-behind style of play (ala Neil Craig's rugby style) and run at Richmond's "Defensive Grid" or "Defensive Triangles" (I think those were the terms used?), and handball/carry in waves. Midway through the 2nd Quarter, I thought that our only hope of winning was a handball-carry game, but Pyke wouldn't pull the trigger.

I'm generally pleased with Pyke's coaching, but if there is any one, specific flaw in his coaching, it has been his unwillingness or inability to fix this crumbing problem. Whenever there are long kicks, I rarely see our ground-level players get front and centre at these long high marking contests, then read the ball "off hands" and be able to crumb with any degree of skill. On a side note, we had exactly the same problem with Neil Craig. In regards to crumbing, the only Crows player that seems to be able to do this reliably is Betts; the rest can't. We are absolutely superb at taking uncontested intercept marks in Defence, but if our Mids then don't take (uncontested) marks on transition from Defence to Attack, we pray for the boundary line. Our Achilles Heel.

If you look at The Crouch Brothers and our our inside/contested ground level players....whether we win, lose, or draw....where do they get most of their contested possessions? At ball-ups/stoppages. But once the ball is in general field play, how may contested possessions do they take when they're actually on the move and not at stoppages? Absolutely f*ck all. And crumbing is the main instance of this. Yes, absolutely, they do win a lot of ball, but it's 99%+ stoppage work, not general field play. I give huge wraps to The Sloane Ranger and Matt Crouch throughout the year, but since we finished Minor Premiers and lost the Grand Final (badly), this tells me our contested ground-level talent is good....but not Premiership material. Just not enough of our ground-level players can win contested ball....when the pill is on the move and the umpire has put his whistle away. Richmond did it continuously for almost 4 Quarters.

Our Forwards were woeful, and I do want to see Jenkins traded, but our Forwards were not the reason we lost. Our Mids were the reason.

But there is one shining light this year - Hugh Greenwood. His hand-eye coordination is something to behold, and is only getting better. But we need another A1 Top Shelf contested ground-level player that has the ability to win the contested ball in general field play, and not continually rely on stoppages to win back possession of the ball.

I listened to:

TNL 2017 Trade Week 2 - Crickets and Tumbleweeds

What feenix67 discussed around 0:57mins and 1:09h re:

• Our Player Payment strategies and not being realistic about luring interstate talent.
  • Our unwillingness/inability to commit to either:
    • A rebuild for the future (using lots of our high Draft picks)
    • Assuming our Grand Final window is open now (by selling our high Draft picks to get established quality players)
We just sit the middle, not committing to one strategy or the other. Those comments were spot on.

As a club, we are not realistic and pragmatic about how to manage our list and our player payment strategies. I've laboured this point for years - in any club (or business/organisation), if you want to lure key talent from interstate, you have to pay those players more than their true market value, because if you don't....they're not going to move. Simply put, if you want elite interstate talent (particularly if you're having a crack at a Flag), then you have to pay overs.
But The Crows Hierarchy refuse to accept the reality of the situation and won't adapt. They have their own opinions on what players are worth, and hence struggle to lure elite interstate talent in Trades. The only exception in recent years has been Betts, but that's it. Part of the problem with this is we load up too heavily (pay wise) at the bottom end of our list, and don't have enough serious coin left over to buy the elite talent from interstate.

And we don't move on dead wood. I am not blaming the Club for making the occasional mistake in recruiting (happens to all clubs), but once players make their way onto our First 22, they almost always stay there 'til they retire. This is screwing us up, bigtime. We have a soft, touchy-feely approach to list management, yet almost every year some key players walk out. We want our playing group to "feel good", but aren't prepared to accept the simple fact that players are (unfortunately) tradeable commodities, and they put the feelings of players before the advancement of the club. Other clubs are entirely realistic and put their clubs before players' feelings, as they want to win Premierships. If we feel that there are players that aren't up to standard, the answer is simple:
  • Trade them.
  • If they refuse to accept a Trade, anchor them in the Magoos.
  • Delist them.
We finally accepted the reality of the situation with Thommo (although way too late), but we're still endlessly sticking with MacKay, Otten, Douglas, Jenkins, and Ratkins, just to name a few. And this is stopping more Rookies from stepping up. It's this "rusted on" First 22 approach that has got to change. Melbourne decided Watts wasn't up to standard and has made it clear he needs to seek opportunities elsewhere. We refuse to take that approach....once a player has made it to our First 22. We just do not turnover our list enough. We need to treat all our players with respect and dignity....but make it clear they are only here while we feel they are a plus to the club; their time here is not permanent.

Last edited:
I listened to:

TNL 2017 Trade Week 2 - Crickets and Tumbleweeds

What feenix67 discussed around 0:57mins and 1:09h re:

• Our Player Payment strategies and not being realistic about luring interstate talent.
  • Our unwillingness/inability to commit to either:
    • A rebuild for the future (using lots of our high Draft picks)
    • Assuming our Grand Final window is open now (by selling our high Draft picks to get established quality players)
We just sit the middle, not committing to one strategy or the other. Those comments were spot on.

As a club, we are not realistic and pragmatic about how to manage our list and our player payment strategies. I've laboured this point for years - in any club (or business/organisation), if you want to lure key talent from interstate, you have to pay those players more than their true market value, because if you don't....they're not going to move. Simply put, if you want elite interstate talent (particularly if you're having a crack at a Flag), then you have to pay overs.
But The Crows Hierarchy refuse to accept the reality of the situation and won't adapt. They have their own opinions on what players are worth, and hence struggle to lure elite interstate talent in Trades. The only exception in recent years has been Betts, but that's it. Part of the problem with this is we load up too heavily (pay wise) at the bottom end of our list, and don't have enough serious coin left over to buy the elite talent from interstate.

And we don't move on dead wood. I am not blaming the Club for making the occasional mistake in recruiting (happens to all clubs), but once players make their way onto our First 22, they almost always stay there 'til they retire. This is screwing us up, bigtime. We have a soft, touchy-feely approach to list management, yet almost every year some key players walk out. We want our playing group to "feel good", but aren't prepared to accept the simple fact that players are (unfortunately) tradeable commodities, and they put the feelings of players before the advancement of the club. Other clubs are entirely realistic and put their clubs before players' feelings, as they want to win Premierships. If we feel that there are players that aren't up to standard, the answer is simple:
  • Trade them.
  • If they refuse to accept a Trade, anchor them in the Magoos.
  • Delist them.
We finally accepted the reality of the situation with Thommo (although way too late), but we're still endlessly sticking with MacKay, Otten, Douglas, Jenkins, and Ratkins, just to name a few. And this is stopping more Rookies from stepping up. It's this "rusted on" First 22 approach that has got to change. Melbourne decided Watts wasn't up to standard and has made it clear he needs to seek opportunities elsewhere. We refuse to take that approach....once a player has made it to our First 22. We just do not turnover our list enough. We need to treat all our players with respect and dignity....but make it clear they are only here while we feel they are a plus to the club; their time here is not permanent.
I think this is worth a thread on its own. I would add Cameron strategy as well. ( not knowing the ins and outs but its an opportunity to get value)

Did I hear right you said there would be an episode tonight as trade week had finished? Half an hour or so...?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back