Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still really disappointed we gave in to involve 19 in the Ablett trade. We were always going to get him, we didn't have to use pick 19.

I'm disappointed because this is an unusual draft. There are really only about 15-20 quality prospects and then it falls off a cliff.

This is why 19 was so important. Usually I'd say pfft 19 to 24 is no big deal (which is almost usually the case) but this draft is extremely unusual / poor.

By stupidly giving up 19 (when we didn't have to) we lose the ability to have a shot on one of the quality players - assuming clubs don't f*ck it up in front of us.

The players at the lower end of the top 20 quality (guys like Balta, O'Brien etc.) will be gone and the ones left over are really all speculative.

In its simplist form, 19 gave us a shot at a good player and I think 22 + 24 are the same as 52 + 54.

Silly trading by Wells to give up 19 when we clearly didn't have to (GC wen't going to keep him against his will when his sister died or force him to retire. It should have been either 35 to their 4th this year or just our R2 next year for their R4 next year)

I guess Wells and Co know who they are after and think they can get them with the draft picks they have.

Which I'm guessing means that your opinion does not match theirs.

Which means they may have more knowledge on who they are targeting and the general ability of this draft over any other.

Etc Etc Etc.

Still really disappointed we gave in to involve 19 in the Ablett trade. We were always going to get him, we didn't have to use pick 19.

I'm disappointed because this is an unusual draft. There are really only about 15-20 quality prospects and then it falls off a cliff.

This is why 19 was so important. Usually I'd say pfft 19 to 24 is no big deal (which is almost usually the case) but this draft is extremely unusual / poor.

By stupidly giving up 19 (when we didn't have to) we lose the ability to have a shot on one of the quality players - assuming clubs don't f*ck it up in front of us.

The players at the lower end of the top 20 quality (guys like Balta, O'Brien etc.) will be gone and the ones left over are really all speculative.

In its simplist form, 19 gave us a shot at a good player and I think 22 + 24 are the same as 52 + 54.

Silly trading by Wells to give up 19 when we clearly didn't have to (GC wen't going to keep him against his will when his sister died or force him to retire. It should have been either 35 to their 4th this year or just our R2 next year for their R4 next year)
meh. If this draft is so s**t then who gives a * about it then, clubs mustn't rate it if a player like Weller is being attained for pick 2 and Charlie Cameron for 12. Hawks rate it so little they are entering at 43.

What we know about Wells is he loves a reach and he'll have done this being confident that the player he has in mind will be there at 22 or 24.
This is the same as the hilarious melting over switching picks and Smedts to get Tuohy.

We got Ablett cheap so all complaints about 19 to 24 I must admit I do find a tad hysterical.

Would have also been nice to anchor the 2nd rd pick for Ablett to this year when we finished 3rd in a weak draft.

A) There is no guarantee that we will finish 3rd. That pick could be as low as 26 or 27 next year.
B) If the F/S are good and we need to dump a pick next year we still had that option in the 2018 trade period.
C) That pick could have been used to upgrade our first pick in 2018 or in a trade

None of those options are now available.

Don't worry... if we need picks next year we could always look to trade Duncan ;);)

Would have also been nice to anchor the 2nd rd pick for Ablett to this year when we finished 3rd in a weak draft.

A) There is no guarantee that we will finish 3rd. That pick could be as low as 26 or 27 next year.
B) If the F/S are good and we need to dump a pick next year we still had that option in the 2018 trade period.
C) That pick could have been used to upgrade our first pick in 2018 or in a trade

None of those options are now available.
It will be in the 30's. Bookmark that.
A team with 9 home games (likely), two games v Hawforn (likely) and Danger, Ablett, Duncan and Selwood is not finishing anywhere but top 6.

From earlier this year:

Menegola and Parsons both signed three-year deals, anchoring the pair at the club until at least the end of 2020.

I'm assuming part of the deal was that he was upgraded come draft night
I assume it will be as well but list spots are tight and it doesn’t need to be. With rookie changes he could play straight away without an injury. The contract ties him to the club he could still spend another year on the rookie list before being promoted.
It’d be smart to keep him on the rookie list for another season.

Not necessarily if we don’t have to. I think there was a change in the rookie rules a few years back where you could pay rookies above the grade and that helped clubs keep them as rookies if they wanted to. The contract to Parsons means we will have to upgrade him at end 2018 or delist and wear that impost.

As of 2018 cat a rookies can play senior football without needing a player on the LTI but i would say it would be very unusual to give a 3 year contract and not elevate a player (remember rookie list is less money for the player) so i would say we will elevate him.

meh. If this draft is so s**t then who gives a **** about it then, clubs mustn't rate it if a player like Weller is being attained for pick 2 and Charlie Cameron for 12. Hawks rate it so little they are entering at 43.

What we know about Wells is he loves a reach and he'll have done this being confident that the player he has in mind will be there at 22 or 24.
This is the same as the hilarious melting over switching picks and Smedts to get Tuohy.

We got Ablett cheap so all complaints about 19 to 24 I must admit I do find a tad hysterical.

The club itself have said they have paid a fair bit to get him back.

"We could've gotten him without 19!!", well clearly not... or else we would have...
It isn't like the Suns said yes to 24 and Wells as the gentlemen said "oh I'll do you a solid, here's 19 instead!".
Jesus Christ some people...
We basically got Gaz for pick upgrades, how people can melt over that has got me stumped

So after the trade period it appears we have had one massive salery cap dump with very little coming in.
Does this mean we go into the 2018 trade period with a rebuild in mind or do we chase the bigger better fish that`s available? I believe there are some guns available.
Hopefully to accomodate Tom Lynch, Rory Sloane, Andrew Gaff and Luke Dahlhaus next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As of 2018 cat a rookies can play senior football without needing a player on the LTI but i would say it would be very unusual to give a 3 year contract and not elevate a player (remember rookie list is less money for the player) so i would say we will elevate him.
See above. Rookie list isn’t necessarily less money IIRC. You can contract above the pay grade.

Now that the Prodigal Son has returned - at what point will we be next dealing with Gold Coast & especially Cochrane?
Next years free agency period when we pick up Tom Lynch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back