Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remind me why people have Parsons as a rookie upgrade? Is that necessary at this time?
Was offered contract mid this year...

As soon as that happens I thought it was an automatic upgrade - in that the contract triggers the need for the upgrade at next Draft period - and we gave him 2 years I think. So technically the upgrade is still required as started the year as a rookie and needs to be Senior listed officially.

Go Catters

As of 2018 cat a rookies can play senior football without needing a player on the LTI but i would say it would be very unusual to give a 3 year contract and not elevate a player (remember rookie list is less money for the player) so i would say we will elevate him.
Rookie players on Rookie contracts can also be signed to other clubs senior lists as it is an upgrade. Getting him the deal effectively took him off the "rookie contracted but available list - as i understand it.

Go Catters

Was offered contract mid this year...

As soon as that happens I thought it was an automatic upgrade - in that the contract triggers the need for the upgrade at next Draft period - and we gave him 2 years I think. So technically the upgrade is still required as started the year as a rookie and needs to be Senior listed officially.

Go Catters
Happy to be corrected Daz, but I’m not aware of any such requirement. The contract specifies the money and the term but I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t be on the rookie list another year and upgraded end 2018.

Happy to be corrected Daz, but I’m not aware of any such requirement. The contract specifies the money and the term but I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t be on the rookie list another year and upgraded end 2018.
If he did stay on the rookie list, would you use that on Pick 58 or a delisted free agent?

There are two rules that favour Geelong.

1. F/S attract a discount of 20% or 197 points....whichever is greater.
2. A points deficit of 1723 points is allowed (assuming no 2019 picks traded)

Eg:
Oscar Browless:
Hawthorn bid pick 20
Pick 20 = 912 points
Discount = 197 points
Points needed = 715 points needed
Geelong matches with pick 52 (246 points)
Points Deficit = 469 points

So we gain pick 20 in the 2018 draft a and pay pick 52 and a future 3rd.

If just one of the four draftees is worth a pick around the 20's, we're okay. And we make out like bandits if two or more of our father-son options are worthy of 2nd round picks.

I think its just a tad different to that ... If we project forward case as if we finished premiers ... next year and say we have 2018 18 , 36, 54 etc .. we traded 36 out , gained Rich 37-53 , Carl 55-71 , Gold Coast 55 71 ... So guestimation is we have picks , 18 , 50 , 54 , 58 , 59

So pick a gun kid at 18 then ..
If Brownless is bid on at 20 ( I doubt that but lets keep going) . so as you say P20 912 -197 points = 715 points required to match.

but 50= 273 , 54= 220 , 58=178 , 59= 158 ; total 829 so 50,54,58,58 and 59 would be transferred into Brownless and P63

So far Hocking and Mench have given indication of being worth more than a Simpson type of situation ..

Does it really matter?
I wouldn't be surprised if half of the reason is picks in this draft aren't as important as they are next year, hence save as many as possible, a pick next year used to promote Parsons is a pick we can't use for F/S points.

Does it really matter?
I wouldn't be surprised if half of the reason is picks in this draft aren't as important as they are next year, hence save as many as possible, a pick next year used to promote Parsons is a pick we can't use for F/S points.
You can use pick 1000 to upgrade a rookie. It’s just whatever is your last pick in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what type of players do people think we will draft?

I'm thinking needs are:
1. KPF - Someone to build our team around, but no point getting one that isn't a star
2. HFF/Winger - Similar to what Duncan was coming into his draft, maybe someone that's a bit quicker
3. A lead up HFF/3rd tall - Someone that regularly finds the goals and applies forward pressure
4. KPD - Not urgent, a project to develop as Harry Taylor starts to look to retirement.

I'd be taking Rankine first

Need the 2nd forward and someone to replace Hawk and forwards who can dominate SANFL footy at 17 don't come around too often.....although the other option is if we wanted to Ream Adelaide is to Take Rankine & get Danger to have a chat to Rory Sloane.

Need the 2nd forward and someone to replace Hawk and forwards who can dominate SANFL footy at 17 don't come around too often.....although the other option is if we wanted to Ream Adelaide is to Take Rankine & get Danger to have a chat to Rory Sloane.

Sloane is too old, he would unbalance a list that is already a little too old. Right now I think we're okay but adding another experienced player at a high price would cross the line into concerning.

I'm thinking needs are:
1. KPF - Someone to build our team around, but no point getting one that isn't a star
2. HFF/Winger - Similar to what Duncan was coming into his draft, maybe someone that's a bit quicker
3. A lead up HFF/3rd tall - Someone that regularly finds the goals and applies forward pressure
4. KPD - Not urgent, a project to develop as Harry Taylor starts to look to retirement.

Two main needs for me are:

1. Lightening quick small forward/s with good tackling skills (Miers)
2. A winger (or two) with great outside speed and excellent by foot (O'Brien would be perfect).

After that:
3. a goal kicking HFF (Houlahan)
4. Intercept marking CHB (Clavarino perhaps)

We won't find a KPF in this draft so will hope to continue to develop Buzza and Ratugolea.

I'm thinking needs are:

This would be the players i would draft if Available.

Pick 22 - MID: Matthew Ling (Geelong Falcons)
Pick 24 - KPF: Oscar Allen (WA)
Pick 35 - MID: Cassidy Parish (Geelong Falcons)
Pick 58 - 3rd Tall: Toby Wooler (Oakleigh Chargers)
Pick 72 - Rookie Upgrade: James Parsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back