Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Thoughts on what he will become and where he will go? Still have this suspicion that he will bolt up the order from where people have him at the moment based off the back the good carnival results. IE. I think most people have him pegged 20 -40 but I suspect it will be in the teens.

Played for Peel Thunder seniors (Fremantle reserves) for the first time on the weekend and didn't look out of place taking 7 marks in defence - that seems to also be regarded as feather in one's cap?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Thoughts on what he will become and where he will go? Still have this suspicion that he will bolt up the order from where people have him at the moment based off the back the good carnival results. IE. I think most people have him pegged 20 -40 but I suspect it will be in the teens.

Played for Peel Thunder seniors (Fremantle reserves) for the first time on the weekend and didn't look out of place taking 7 marks in defence - that seems to also be regarded as feather in one's cap?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-draft/wa-draft-watch-aaron-naughtons-league-debut-at-peel-thunder-ng-b88543405z

“He is a powerhouse backman and performed really well,” he said.

“He got to play on Jonathon Giles and (Fraser) McInnes at some stage and really held (his) own.”

Standing at 194cm, Naughton is a genuine key position size. His one-on-one work proved to be strong at under-18 level, but it is his run from defence which makes him stand out.

He was widely considered to be a top-20 draft prospect following the championships, and could push even higher if he keeps producing against the bigger bodies at senior level.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Thought he had a great game in a poor Peel team yesterday - equal top number of marks (11), 17 disposals, 3 tackles and a goal - arguably a lot better than a lot of AFL players there and really played tall.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was terrific against SD a few weeks back. Three big games in a row. Takes a strong mark and reads the play well.

Only knock is his kicking style but it's reasonably affective. I'd draft him without hesitation

Excellent prospect. Impacts contests, manages to get body on his opponent or an arm in to spoil despite seeming to be out of position. Has that desperate look about him, a bit like Rance does. Good leadership skills. Looking more and more like a first round pick every week

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
It all depends on a clubs needs. He has AFL qualities written all over him although clubs might be looking at best available mid or kpf for thier first pick.

He might slip through to the second round but he'd be a steal after that.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mid week on Melbourne radio he was tipped to go at #5 by Brett Anderson

https://twitter.com/bandersonsen?lang=en
Yeah he did but it was a mock draft where he had us taking him. Pretty sure listening to it that Brett isn't up to date with Freo's list. Only reference to existing KPD were Johnson, Dawson and Logue. Completely ignored/doesn't know of Hamling, Pearce and Cox.

Fair to say I would take his opinion with a grain of salt.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Looking like being a top 15 pick , #5 looks to be too high and Balic pick will be way too late
you will need to trade pick 5 to later selections maybe
You'd have to think Brisbane would have 12 & 18 on the table for pick 5 and late second or early third round pick back.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would take that. But it sounds like they wAnt to use the pick 5 on a Vic metro.

I've noticed you've got this bizarre obsession with clubs drafting locally. Even to the extent of hoping Fogarty to Adelaide.
What gives with that?

FWIW Naughton would be well worth consideration at 5.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I've noticed you've got this bizarre obsession with clubs drafting locally. Even to the extent of hoping Fogarty to Adelaide.
What gives with that?

It's common sense with the player movements getting more and more these days. A lot easier to keep local guys. Vic metro kids are the worst for wanting to go home.. you end up paying overs to keep them.
So if there is a like for like player. Go local I say.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
What gives with that?

I think it is pure home state bias and in the case of Naughton Freo fans are especially attached because he plays for Peel.

It's common sense with the player movements getting more and more these days. A lot easier to keep local guys. Vic metro kids are the worst for wanting to go home.. you end up paying overs to keep them.
So if there is a like for like player. Go local I say.
Always take the local if all else is equal, I agree with that.

I still don't think (and I will hazard a guess our recruiters don't either) Naughton is one of the best 5 players which should make his home state irrelevant.

Freo's (and most clubs bar QLD and GWS) have excellent retention of outer state players. There is a whole trade week where everyone's attention is drawn to players moving but the majority of players don't move.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think he's well worth consideration at 5 based on his excellent year and scope of potential. Has certainly been the strongest performing key position player in the draft, shown high aptitude at senior level and appears to have a good frame for filling out on an AFL weights program.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he's well worth consideration at 5 based on his excellent year and scope of potential. Has certainly been the strongest performing key position player in the draft, shown high aptitude at senior level and appears to have a good frame for filling out on an AFL weights program.
I don't doubt all of that but my problem is with him we would have 5 highly promising to good KPD - where are they going to play? Cox has shown quite a bit forward but has woeful goalkicking so far. Even then that still leaves 4 players for 3 spots. We can't afford to use high picks to increase depth in one area of the ground when every other area needs attention.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't see Fremantle taking him without exposed forward form. I personally rate him as the best tall in the draft (5th overall) and think he's going to have a great career at CHB. Adelaide with pick 12 works very well for me.

Back