Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

But I still don't understand the "what happens on the field stays on the field" mentality?

Go to your local junior league and beat the living s**t out of a player and or an umpire.

She'll be sweet.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
But I still don't understand the "what happens on the field stays on the field" mentality?
When footy was good, both sides after the game no matter what , shared a drink. Now we can't even fart or some do gooder will put their head in. If you never played the game you wouldn't understand.

Any chance we can merge the tom mitchell mega whine thread into this one?
No. If posting about another former player reaches a high enough level to justify a thread, we will create one for them as well.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
When footy was good, both sides after the game no matter what , shared a drink. Now we can't even fart or some do gooder will put their head in. If you never played the game you wouldn't understand.
Nah I've played footy. And other sports too. I don't really agree that it gives carte blanche to say anything you like to get under someone else's skin. I've pulled up mates who've said some terrible things on the field. I think from what has been said, Mumford would've been one of those types. Still love the big bastard though!

Sitting at the local fish and chip shop last night. Footy day at school so decked out in red and white head to toe. Older gent sits down and says its good to see some bloods support. Turns out his name is Frank Hogan, played 12 games and kicked 6 goals for the Bloods in 58-59.

I’ll stick this here (the former player thread), not in a dedicated thread for a player that doesn’t play at the Swans.

http://outline.com/Gxpy2B
While I'm no doubt looking at this with one eye, I'm still trying to work out how exactly it is biting us as such. Yes, Mitchell has stepped up but has done so in a midfield consisting of himself and O'Meara. Had he stayed, he still would have been playing with Hanners, Parker, Kennedy and the newer players like Heeney getting a run through the middle. I suggest it's a long bow to draw to suggest he would have had the opportunities to perform like he has at the Hawks.

On the other side too, I also look at the fact we signed him on good money and a two year contract straight out, then put him on an excessive contract after he re-signed and for memory still hadn't played a game. We payed him overs for at least 5 years and the moment we were offering him less than he saw was applicable he walked. I get that you need to make the most of your short career as a footballer (like charging people for interviews etc) but the club was good to him early in his career, something I think he took for granted.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
While I'm no doubt looking at this with one eye, I'm still trying to work out how exactly it is biting us as such. Yes, Mitchell has stepped up but has done so in a midfield consisting of himself and O'Meara. Had he stayed, he still would have been playing with Hanners, Parker, Kennedy and the newer players like Heeney getting a run through the middle. I suggest it's a long bow to draw to suggest he would have had the opportunities to perform like he has at the Hawks.

On the other side too, I also look at the fact we signed him on good money and a two year contract straight out, then put him on an excessive contract after he re-signed and for memory still hadn't played a game. We payed him overs for at least 5 years and the moment we were offering him less than he saw was applicable he walked. I get that you need to make the most of your short career as a footballer (like charging people for interviews etc) but the club was good to him early in his career, something I think he took for granted.
I love these experts who come out now saying we made a mistake in not keeping Mitchell. When the trade happened only posters on this board were upset - all the "experts" thought it was an equal trade and we were in front because we could keep Heeney & Mills.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

This, only interested in $$$

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I think a lot of people forget this. We had to bid above GWS to get him to nominate us, then renewed his contract before he'd shown anything. He spent two years on the injury list getting paid what a player in his position would have. He left his contract on the table while others re-signed over the course of the year, and then left when it wasn't enough. Happy to get overs before proving anything, not so happy about taking a cut to keep a midfield group together.

Back