AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In a standard round, currently 3 games are played at night time, 2 twilight (unless one is in perth) and 4 day games. Point is they are staggered across Saturday and Sunday to maximise the TV content.
And how many games does the average punter watch outside of their own, and is that number effected by whether it is live or not?

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No but I would wager there would be plenty who watch the bulk of them on TV.
I'd wager that the majority would watch their own team plus 2 other games maximum. Not every game is a marquee game. Carlton v Freo......Pass, Geelong v Brisbane.....Pass, Hawthorn v North......pass. These games don't need a stand alone timeslot, they should be played at 2.10pm on a Saturday instead of 4.40pm on a Sunday

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I'd wager that the majority would watch their own team plus 2 other games maximum. Not every game is a marquee game. Carlton v Freo......Pass, Geelong v Brisbane.....Pass, Hawthorn v North......pass. These games don't need a stand alone timeslot, they should be played at 2.10pm on a Saturday instead of 4.40pm on a Sunday

LOL.....TV audiences are noticeably less when there are TWO matches on at the same time. Let alone 5.

Your idea would drop averages by a massive amount. Never mind that Saturday afternoon games are dying because a lot more people now work on Saturdays. It's not the 80's anymore.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL.....TV audiences are noticeably less when there are TWO matches on at the same time. Let alone 5.

Your idea would drop averages by a massive amount. Never mind that Saturday afternoon games are dying because a lot more people now work on Saturdays. It's not the 80's anymore.

Not to mention that there probably wouldn't be the capacity to produce/cover 5 games simultaneously and the fixturing would be impossible (assuming that 1) we still want every non-Vic game shown on FTA into the live market and 2) we aren't building new stadiums in Melbourne)

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
NFL has 90% of its games on a Sunday. EFL has 95% of its games on Sat 3 pm, but that is a different beast as most aren't shown live in that country.

I hate how games are telecast every god damn hours. I couldn't give a stuff about TV ratings or TV stations. I love to have more games broadcast at the same time in "traditional" slots. (etc Saturday night, Sat Sunday afternoon) Personally, I hate twilight games. Nearly missed the Prelim final this year cause I had no clue what time it actually started.

I would love some sort of massive last day/round so it is fair to all teams fighting for finals. Plus it is always unmissable TV with the ladder changing LIVE on the last day. Anyone who watched the USA get kicked out of the World Cup would agree.

but these are never going to happen. I am sure they will get even more "wacky" just for TV ratings.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So all but one game a fortnight in the EPL is at 3pm on a Saturday?

There may be competitive / strategic reasons (ie between the AFL and the NRL) why games are spread like they are as well. Not sure why the A League spread their 10 hours of content across the summer weekends like they do

Certainly "that's what they do in england and america" has no weight outside of the stunted mind of the cultural cringer

As said above. Saturday 2.10pm IS the traditional VFL timeslot. Melbourne needs to upgrade either Princess Park or build another smaller Stadium (E-Gate / Olympic Park etc.) to allow as many Sat 2.10pm games as possible. The skills drop off, and the game just isn't the same.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
As said above. Saturday 2.10pm IS the traditional VFL timeslot. Melbourne needs to upgrade either Princess Park or build another smaller Stadium (E-Gate / Olympic Park etc.) to allow as many Sat 2.10pm games as possible. The skills drop off, and the game just isn't the same.

blaming player skills on the time of the match is laughable.

NFL has 90% of its games on a Sunday. EFL has 95% of its games on Sat 3 pm, but that is a different beast as most aren't shown live in that country.

I hate how games are telecast every god damn hours. I couldn't give a stuff about TV ratings or TV stations. I love to have more games broadcast at the same time in "traditional" slots. (etc Saturday night, Sat Sunday afternoon) Personally, I hate twilight games. Nearly missed the Prelim final this year cause I had no clue what time it actually started.

I would love some sort of massive last day/round so it is fair to all teams fighting for finals. Plus it is always unmissable TV with the ladder changing LIVE on the last day. Anyone who watched the USA get kicked out of the World Cup would agree.

but these are never going to happen. I am sure they will get even more "wacky" just for TV ratings.

The NFL does that because legislation makes it basically impossible for them to play on a Friday or Saturday.

College football is on the Saturday isnt it. They have a Thursday and a Huge Monday night game to round it off dont they.

High school (and some college games) on Friday, college on Saturday. Those bookend games are the NFL trying to maximise exposure. You can bet if they could play on Saturday, they would.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

To be honest that's a reflection on yourself though. The twilight prelim on the Saturday has been a "thing" since 2012.

Catoggio76

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Depends who is on the Board of Seven West Media, that will determine the price. Blokes like David Evans, Jeff Kennett and Stokes are on that Board, so they just keep the AFL Pie circulating amongst themselves. That's why no one gets in and no one gets out.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depends who is on the Board of Seven West Media, that will determine the price. Blokes like David Evans, Jeff Kennett and Stokes are on that Board, so they just keep the AFL Pie circulating amongst themselves. That's why no one gets in and no one gets out.

Que? I think your tin foil hat is turned inside out or something

Channel 7's contributions to the current TV rights deal is $900 million over 6 years, about 36% of the total amount.

I suspect the thing that will (and has) "determine(d) the price" is the massive ratings that the AFL gets. Channel 7's ratings for the finals alone (ie excluding the foxtel simulcasts) comfortably exceed the A Leagues total annual ratings (ie in 9 games compared to 140 odd)

Catoggio76

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Que? I think your tin foil hat is turned inside out or something

Channel 7's contributions to the current TV rights deal is $900 million over 6 years, about 36% of the total amount.

I suspect the thing that will (and has) "determine(d) the price" is the massive ratings that the AFL gets. Channel 7's ratings for the finals alone (ie excluding the foxtel simulcasts) comfortably exceed the A Leagues total annual ratings (ie in 9 games compared to 140 odd)

Channel 7 runs at a loss for the AFL rights, they buy it as its a good lead in to other programming, such as 7 News. There is a Business related article which stated that recently, I will dig it in the next day or so.

Jfyi owner of the f1 rights is in discussions to stream 2018 on netflix. If it happens, it will be interesting to see how well this is adopted given the platform

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Channel 7 runs at a loss for the AFL rights, they buy it as its a good lead in to other programming, such as 7 News. There is a Business related article which stated that recently, I will dig it in the next day or so.

See, unlike your other tin foil hat ranting, this is actual more than plausible. Effectively Channel 7's business model is, more than anything, built around holding the AFL rights and using it to cross promote and increase its resident audience....so its direct return from the AFL rights is not sufficient to cover the media rights value plus production costs but it is still worth it for the extra income it gets from other programming due to holding the AFL rights

Jfyi owner of the f1 rights is in discussions to stream 2018 on netflix. If it happens, it will be interesting to see how well this is adopted given the platform

Interesting considering Netflix weren't supposed to be interested in sport...

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting considering Netflix weren't supposed to be interested in sport...

Still not, maybe for a doco-series but not Live Sport.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132542/f1-plans-to-launch-live-streaming-service

Despite rumours that F1 could use platforms like Netflix or Amazon for its live streaming service, Bratches is clear that it will be done entirely in-house.

"Our objective is to create platforms in the direct-to-consumer arena that engage fans and leverage our assets - whether they are live races, archival [or] are data," he said.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
We all know that change is going to come and pretty fast The media landscape in ten or even five years will be a lot different to now.
A friend of mine works in the IT industry and told me the changes in the pipeline over the next few years will freak people out.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
blaming player skills on the time of the match is laughable.
When games are played after dusk, sometimes dew can develop.
As the ball, players' hands, & ground get wetter and become more slippery, there is an adverse effect on skills eg overhead marking declines, kicking efficiency declines.

Furthermore, complicating factors re predicting the media rights deal are:-

. the AFL's (& NRL) bargaining position is weakened as the Fed. media anti-siphoning laws ensure there is no true "competitive tension" ie it cannot legally offer exclusive coverage to a non FTA bidder (who might be willing to pay the AFL a "knockout"financial offer for exclusive coverage)
.Is the AFL's Equalisation Policy finally working? If so, there will be more close & unpredictible games/upsets, with more teams having a realistic chance (for, crucially, LONGER in the season) of making Finals. This greater eveness & "buzz" will provide a big ratings boost. And improved $ media rights?
. Will the AFL try to "cut out the middle man"-& broadcast/stream games itself? Is this the longterm objective for its big Media Dept.?
. Will the general decline in overall FTA ratings, particularly amongst young people, continue?

. a "plus" for the AFL cf. other sports is that AF games have many more short breaks in general gameplay. This is VERY valuable for advertisers, who can easily have more adverts in these breaks to air to an audience which is still watching. Games are 2.5 hrs.
.Another plus for the AFL is that it is followed by a very broad male & female demographic, over various income levels, which is advantageous for advertisers/attracts more advertisers. (But RU viewers would, generally, be more attractive to advertisers as RU has greater average wealth/spending power).
. a potential plus (& almost "financial existential threat" to other sports) is the AFLW. It was a spectacular ratings & crowd success when it was not shown concurrently with AFL JLT games.
The AFLW will grow to 18 teams & is almost certain to be played in the off season, over c. 20 weeks. IF these ratings further increase (as they should with more fans being able to follow their own new teams/abolition of crap timeslots), the AFL's media rights supremacy will expand.
What is CERTAIN, hearing from GR Clubs & their plans, is that female AF regd. player nos. will continue to flourish in the next few years. This will ultimately benefit the AFLW - it will improve average skill levels in 2022, & will provide the AFLW with more "respectability" as a desirable viewing/attending product.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
We all know that change is going to come and pretty fast The media landscape in ten or even five years will be a lot different to now.
A friend of mine works in the IT industry and told me the changes in the pipeline over the next few years will freak people out.
What specific changes was your IT friend referring to?
How might it affect the future media rights?

Last edited:

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
What specific changes was your IT friend referring to?
How might it affect the future media rights?
He was a bit cagey as he said a lot of the stuff is commercial in confidence but he also said he will let me know the details when he can.This guys company - he is one of the owners do work for many of the big players like Telstra,Optus and media companies. He has me intrigued I can tell you.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
This is not looking good for the major sports on FTA

Aussie TV networks fail to stem the bleeding as viewers look elsewhere

• Adam Turner
  • The quarterly viewing figures paint a scary picture for Australia's television broadcasters as younger viewers tune out in droves.

Nielsen, OzTam and Regional TAM's 'Australian Video Viewing Report' tries to put on a brave face every three months, having changed its name from the Australian Multi-Screen Report to put a positive spin on the fact that we're looking elsewhere for our video entertainment.
  • The report proudly proclaims that "two thirds of 18-24 year-olds, who are traditionally among the lightest TV viewers relative to the overall population, watched broadcast TV channels weekly in the latest quarter". In other words, one third of them can go for a week watching absolutely no broadcast television.
    • 1509489364475.jpg
    The year-on-year drop in the amount of time Australians spend watching broadcast television is accelerating across the board. Photo: Australian Video Viewing Report & Australian Multi-Screen Report
    Rusted-on seniors are keeping the numbers from plunging into freefall, but even they are gradually weaning themselves off traditional television. Broadcasters are sitting on a demographic time bomb, as you can be sure when today's middle-aged Australians become senior citizens they won't go flocking back to broadcast television.

Back