2017 Big Draft Mover Prediction

Who will be the big draft mover (top the top 5) in 2017?

• Nick Coffield

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Aiden Bonar

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • Darcy Fogarty

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Hunter Clark

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Charlie Constable

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Sam Hayes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Brayshaw

Votes: 81 42.4%
  • Other - nominate in comments

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Nearly every year, there is a big mover in the last month - a hype player that one club (usually in the top 5 picks) reaches for.

My thinking is that Freo could bring a players' name up the ranks and maybe with some opposition mind games, their hand could be forced at #2. It's worth noting that GWS have a history of reaching when having multiple picks in the top 5, but they don't have this luxury in 2017.
  • 2016: GWS pinched Taranto at 2 after being rated around 8-12 a month or two out. McGrath similar rose to #1.
  • 2015: Oliver rose madly in the final weeks to 4 after being a mid-first rounder IIRC
  • 2014: Marchbank was considered a late first option but rose to #6 via GWS courtesy of SOS
  • 2013: Bont was the flier and went at 4 to the Dogs.
  • 2012: Plow was again reached for at 3 via SOS and GWS with multiple picks
So my question would be: which team in that top 5-6 picks (Brisbane, Freo, Carlton, North & Collingwood) is most likely to reach for a specific player; who will that be; and why?

Let's exclude the obvious current top 4 players in Dow, Rayner, LDU and Cerra.

Could it be a Higgins? Coffield? Constable or even Sam Hayes? I've excluded Stephenson and Naughton, who both seem to be consistently in that top 6 mix at this stage.

What are your thoughts?

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I could see us taking Brayshaw or Fogarty.
Fogarty is the one that I'd say would be most likely to rise at this stage, but Bonar (pun intended) is rising fast and could be that bolter for top 10.

Wouldn't mind him at 10 but can't see it should we get one of LDU, Rayner or Dow - all taller midfield options (Rayner more mid/fwd).

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Fogarty is the one that I'd say would be most likely to rise at this stage, but Bonar (pun intended) is rising fast and could be that bolter for top 10.

Wouldn't mind him at 10 but can't see it should we get one of LDU, Rayner or Dow - all taller midfield options (Rayner more mid/fwd).

You can't say pun intended before you actually say the pun

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
The one with the most potential to do so is Bonar. Could go to Freo's pick at the highest, IMO

Wouldn't be surprised if Murphy is a big mover, either

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
There was a bit of talk that the Lions were keen on Andrew Brayshaw and IIRC Stephen Conole did mention him a few weeks ago as one of 4 or 5 contenders for our pick 1 selection.

Personally I don't think we would reach for him at 1 but wouldn't be surprised if the Dockers/Kangaroos went for him at 2, 4 or 5.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Brayshaw is exactly the kind of player Freo need, and I reckon he'll go Pick 5
Fogarty will be a comfortable top 10 selection, likewise Coffield
Bonar will either get taken at one of the Saints picks or go in the late teens
Stephenson a possibility for Pick 4
O'Brien at one of St Kilda's picks?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Yes although it's unlikely because he's not overly quick. I imagine pace will be a big contributor to North's choice.

That is why Stephenson is being talked about. I still prefer good foot skills over pace. Look at Pendles - you don't have to be lightening quick to be a superstar.

Collingwood will reach for Balta at 6 and everyone will laugh at us, just like they did in 2005 when we took Pendlebury with pick 5.

I wouldn't laugh. The payoff could be incredible.

Back