Apr 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC - MVFC - Socceroos.
It's very jarring after being used to having no ads during play
100%

I understand why, Seven pay an absolute fortune so want maximum return but its quite annoying.

Fox Footy's coverage surpasses Seven's on every level, commentators other than Russell are generally good and fit for purpose, the use of graphics is crisp and relevant, no ads obviously and they also don't abuse stupid camera angles like Seven does.

Ladies and Gentlemen, football journalism in 2017 summarised in one article.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/0aedcaa5e360412f40bea086186c2f43

there's an emoji to describe the content of the article.
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I cannot stand Anthony Husdom yelling all the way through the game.David Scharwtz does it as well.I also cannot stand idiot commentators going on about umpiring decisions they think are wrong but their not Finally the out of control corporate adverting in AFL is out of control.We are the biggest attended sport in the world yet we need corporate money to put sponsers logos everywhere. During a game, there is multiple adds on everthing.The players,umpres,football.goalposts,ground, fence, stands even the ticket to get in

BlueBen

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I cannot stand Anthony Husdom yelling all the way through the game.

Hudson has always been vastly overrated as a commentator. As you say, the way he shouts his way through a game is very annoying. His penchant for talking too much and his cheesy, rehearsed one-liners are other things that grate about him.

I've never really got it with him, yet he seems almost universally liked, so maybe it's just me (and you).

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I cannot stand Anthony Husdom yelling all the way through the game.David Scharwtz does it as well.I also cannot stand idiot commentators going on about umpiring decisions they think are wrong but their not Finally the out of control corporate adverting in AFL is out of control.We are the biggest attended sport in the world yet we need corporate money to put sponsers logos everywhere. During a game, there is multiple adds on everthing.The players,umpres,football.goalposts,ground, fence, stands even the ticket to get in
In what way? I don't think that's true by any parameter.

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers

Per capita. NFL has average crowds about twice AFL size, but 10 times the population. Bundesliga and EPL are a little higher than AFL with triple the population.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Which bit are you talking about? If it's the advertising ,NFL and Epl don't have 6 different brand names on their jumper because they respect the tradition of the jumper.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Is that still the case after the Gold Coast and GWS joined the comp? I imagine that's lowered the average by quite a bit.
The point is AFL doesn't need saturation advertising to survive. Every kid that likes Afl is already branded with Tab ,Telstra ect.You probably dont know any different as you've grown up with it.Have a look at an Afl jumper ,there is 6 different brand names on it.Do you not mind the football is hardly red anymore as its plastered wth adds.

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
7 can have as many ads provided none are sports betting.

New Chairman of the AFL seems to agree! ... and the good West Australian country boy won't be moving to Melbourne!

...“I was in Melbourne the other Saturday and I was staggered how many Victorians said to me, ‘So you’ll be moving to Melbourne?’ What, because I’m the chairman of the AFL? It’s a national competition!” he says incredulously.

...He’s decidedly uncomfortable about the sport’s “close proximity” to the gambling industry. While live betting is now a thing of the past, the omnipresent nature of the gambling industry concerns him. ...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...s/news-story/0382a4a3e38e91e21857e3b3acb575ee

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pity he didn't see the betting agency ads flogged continually on tv as the first priority.....they concern me far more than the pokies each club may have.
Agree.

Half the 18 year old guys I know signed up with a betting agency the minute they turned 18. Easy, download the app, prove your age with driver licence and you have an online betting account and instant betting any time of day or night. Most of these guys are footy players and its exciting with the number of different bets you have available.

Betting adds on TV is not just a footy problem, but govt need to step in I think.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't see an issue with Nick being there.......it was always going to happen, so might as well be with Fox Footy.

..and he is going to be with the best....e.g JBrown!:p

Seriously though, I think he'll do a really good job in the media, will be as professional as he was a player..

Swooping Crow

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hudson has always been vastly overrated as a commentator. As you say, the way he shouts his way through a game is very annoying. His penchant for talking too much and his cheesy, rehearsed one-liners are other things that grate about him.

I've never really got it with him, yet he seems almost universally liked, so maybe it's just me (and you).

I concur.

CotchNCo

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Arsenal
Best thing Hamish McLaughlin has ever done was the pre-match to this year's GF where is spoke about the trails and tribulations of players from both sides set to the Interstellar soundtrack. Genuinely fantastic television.

His commentary though is really poor.

Back