Player Watch #39: Nathan Drummond

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Drummond was selected at #52 in the 2014 afl draft and he was selected ahead of
#67 Dan Butler
Rookie Draft
#11 Jayden Short
#29 Jason Castagna
#46 Kane Lambert

He was the 1st player to get a game in his 1st year ahead of the players named above - I think there was good reason for this and the club rated him extremely highly.

Nathan has had 2 knee injuries but the club can see the talent he has and rate him accordingly and believe he is worth another year, Many are posting s**t on here without even seeing the kid play but are unfamiliar with him but just see his name on the list sheet.

Kid deserves another year and has got it to see if he can come back from his injuries, People here trolling his injuries should really be ashamed of them self's and need to move on.

Nathan Drummond was selected at #52 in the 2014 afl draft and he was selected ahead of
#67 Dan Butler
Rookie Draft
#11 Jayden Short
#29 Jason Castagna
#46 Kane Lambert

He was the 1st player to get a game in his 1st year ahead of the players named above - I think there was good reason for this and the club rated him extremely highly.

Nathan has had 2 knee injuries but the club can see the talent he has and rate him accordingly and believe he is worth another year, Many are posting s**t on here without even seeing the kid play but are unfamiliar with him but just see his name on the list sheet.

Kid deserves another year and has got it to see if he can come back from his injuries, People here trolling his injuries should really be ashamed of them self's and need to move on.
Well thats all good to give some people chances, but what if the cost is to delist other people like bach or lennon?

Thats whats it has basically come down to.

Well thats all good to give some people chances, but what if the cost is to delist other people like bach or lennon?

Thats whats it has basically come down to.
Batchelor has been on the list for 7 years and we know what he offers - And its not what we need and he just isnt at an elite level fpr his position whilst we have Rance,Astbury,Grimes,Broad playing in the seniors and better than him with Garthwaite already showing he will pass Batchelor

Lennon has had 4 years on the list for 21 games, Physically not upto it and lazy player that wont follow team rules, Should have been delisted last year but couldnt be as he was contracted for 2017 after holding the club to ransom in 2014 trade period - s**t bloke and s**t player

Batchelor has been on the list for 7 years and we know what he offers - And its not what we need and he just isnt at an elite level fpr his position whilst we have Rance,Astbury,Grimes,Broad playing in the seniors and better than him with Garthwaite already showing he will pass Batchelor

Lennon has had 4 years on the list for 21 games, Physically not upto it and lazy player that wont follow team rules, Should have been delisted last year but couldnt be as he was contracted for 2017 after holding the club to ransom in 2014 trade period - s**t bloke and s**t player

Okay, after three years, then what does Drummond provide for us next year and is he best 22 when full fit? Is he back up, and if so, what position?

That’s fine to point of the negatives, but in a premiership year we should be going for what we know and insurance (mainly bach in this case).

We have at least 4 new draftees that are in the ‘potential’ bracket. I understand you have sympathy that he has done two ACLs, but we need to be logical here, not sentimental. We not rebuilding anymore, we are challenging again, so we cant keep these types too long. It never works out.

Okay, after three years, then what does Drummond provide for us next year and is he best 22 when full fit? Is he back up, and if so, what position?

That’s fine to point of the negatives, but in a premiership year we should be going for what we know and insurance (mainly bach in this case).

We have at least 4 new draftees that are in the ‘potential’ bracket. I understand you have sympathy that he has done two ACLs, but we need to be logical here, not sentimental. We not rebuilding anymore, we are challenging again, so we cant keep these types too long. It never works out.
Nathan Drummond provides us with exactly what the 4-5 new draftee's will provide and thats optimism about what he may become
He was drafted for a reason and that reason is still valid, Apart from the injuries the kid has shown no negatives and done all expected but has been unlucky

Batchelor after 7 years has shown he has reached his level and thats not good enough - Far as we know he could be better than Castagna,Butler,Short as the club rated in higher than these boys and thats why he was selected before them

Have heard Dimma claim that this kid was the best athlete at the club. Hopefully burgo can get him right

Nathan Drummond provides us with exactly what the 4-5 new draftee's will provide and thats optimism about what he may become
He was drafted for a reason and that reason is still valid, Apart from the injuries the kid has shown no negatives and done all expected but has been unlucky

Batchelor after 7 years has shown he has reached his level and thats not good enough - Far as we know he could be better than Castagna,Butler,Short as the club rated in higher than these boys and thats why he was selected before them

The guy has played 5 games, last 4 in 2016 and wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire, averaging 9 possessions.
I just don’t see the potential seeing though we already have so many of his type.
Not many players (especially non KP) come back great from 2 ACLs unfortunately and it rarely works out - I can’t think of many.

Anyways nothing personal to Drummond but when it comes down to it he is taking someone else’s spot. That’s my only issue.

Thing to remember also is that Rookie players get a 1 year contract and the regular draft kids get 2 year deals

Who will the club cut from the list next year ? If things remain as they are now its looking like
Hampson
Drummond
Miles/Lloyd

But if they delist and rookie list drummond then there is a problem in 2018 as you need to make at least 3 changes

Thing to remember also is that Rookie players get a 1 year contract and the regular draft kids get 2 year deals

Who will the club cut from the list next year ? If things remain as they are now its looking like
Hampson
Drummond
Miles/Lloyd

But if they delist and rookie list drummond then there is a problem in 2018 as you need to make at least 3 changes

Huh doesn't make sense, you said it yourself, rookies just get another year. But that's despite the point, if he was delisted, we would have kept either Bach or Lennon and delisted one next year.

Huh doesn't make sense, you said it yourself, rookies just get another year. But that's despite the point, if he was delisted, we would have kept either Bach or Lennon and delisted one next year.
Looks like your not getting what im trying to explain

Simple
We know what Batchelor has to offer and its not upto what we want or expect - Not good enough for the level we are at
Drummond we dont know if he is or not but have not had a chance to see yet as well as injuries he needs another year

We need 5 spots on the list this year if Naish is selected wit 1 of our 3 picks 17,20,25 as we would then use #53 & #55
We may also need the extra spots on the Rookie list for our Academy players Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy has played 5 games, last 4 in 2016 and wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire, averaging 9 possessions.
I just don’t see the potential seeing though we already have so many of his type.
Not many players (especially non KP) come back great from 2 ACLs unfortunately and it rarely works out - I can’t think of many.

Anyways nothing personal to Drummond but when it comes down to it he is taking someone else’s spot. That’s my only issue.
Whose spot is he taking?

For what it's worth I think work ethic trumps talent unless you have both together. We saw what kane L has been able to achieve. Also the more you have players working hard to improve, the better it is for club culture.

I'd pick a Drummond over a Lennon every day of the week because they will fight & fight and be more likely to win & the endeavour is what I want to see. I'm guessing, but I think many want to see that willingness to compete hard....

Just started reading the Konrad Marshall book. Drummond finished first in the 3km time trial Jan 2017.

I was at the Sandringham game where he was injured again. He was just shattered

Good to stick with him a bit longer. Has potential and hopefully still the pace

Nice to see Drummo now taken off the injury list. According to the AFL web site he is expected to play in the VFL Praccy against Box Hill.

In the preseason he has been training in the small forward's role. Drummo's speed and endurance are elite which suit high pressure small forward role. Hopefully he can get a good run without injuries to push for a place in the AFL team.

Hope he gets a fair crack at it. His 2014 Combine results were all quality - not just one element, but many. It remains to be seen what the injuries and limited preparations have done to that over the years.

Nice to see Drummo now taken off the injury list. According to the AFL web site he is expected to play in the VFL Praccy against Box Hill.

In the preseason he has been training in the small forward's role. Drummo's speed and endurance are elite which suit high pressure small forward role. Hopefully he can get a good run without injuries to push for a place in the AFL team.
If so can see him getting delisted in a year or two. Seriously who is he going to replace?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back