Unofficial Preview 2018 AFL Round 1 - Melbourne vs Geelong, Sunday March 25th, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond vs Carlton for Round 1 opener, just a tad bit unfair... :drunk:

Sick of this one being a lock in, it's never a good game, always a blow out and with the exception of this year neither team ends up being relevant.

The "oh but the crowd is always great " argument is bullshit too, it's opening night in Melbourne, you'd get 70k whatever the matchup.

Big possibility that Ablett misses the 1st half of the season due to injury from the International Rules Series....i can see the melts now, starting with me :p
There will be no melting from me ... I’ll be going straight to burning down everything and vitriol emails sent to club

You obviously have some info I don't,do you have a link?
Easter Monday coincides with Round 2. No indication from AFL house that Easter Monday Hawks v Cats is going away. If that is the case, we will play 2 games in a row at the MCG. What makes you think we will play round 3 v the Gold Coast up there? They can't play any home games until June, and they've confirmed their 4 "away" home games v North in Cairns, Freo in Perth, Melbourne at the Gabba and Port in Shanghai.

In the 20 odd years of IR I can't remember once hearing of a major injury. Weird that it's suddenly getting talked about a lot this year.

The players show up hungover, play the game at a jog and punch on a bit, there will be no injuries, except maybe a few broken Irish jaws.

Any chance of adding a poll - maybe something a bit different and fun like "how many pages will the unofficial preview thread reach before the official preview thread is started?"

The teams we play twice next year are Melb, Haw, Syd, Rich and GC.

Only one interstate team of note there so we'll obviously have to play a fair few of the others at KP (to make up our home games quota without offending the sensibilities of the 'big' Victorian clubs).

Playing the Dees at the 'G is obviously a good test and I don't see that the Hawkers are certainties to be appreciably better next year.

The yellow and black obliterated us in the QF but they still seem eminently gettable to me. Certainly not a class above, so if we can match their intent and manic pressure game, we have to stand a reasonable chance against them on both occasions.

And as for the Suns, playing them twice is no nightmare. I am not very bullish about their chances in '18 at all.

Will wait and see how it pans out but those five double-ups sound fine to me, considering we finished third again in '17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extremely early meat tray:

In: Ablett, Thurlow, C Guthrie, Z Guthrie,
Out: Mackie, Lonergan, Motlop, D Lang
Meat tray is CANCELLED. Honorary cheese platter for the winner.

DHFUeUKVwAAmlfY.jpg

Mackie started 2017 in great form and pretty much carried it through the year.

Thurlow, or someone else, is going to need to find something for us not to feel the loss too acutely.

Melbourne might come out steaming after their non-finals debacle - or they might just be a steamin pile...

First Goal - Menzel
Last Goal - Cockatoo
Most Touches - Ablett
Most Goals - Hawkins
Most Marks - Duncan
Most Tackles - S. Selwood
Dangerfield - 3 Votes
J Selwood - 2 Votes
Ablett - 1 Vote

It's refreshing to see we won't be playing Hawthorn in round 1. That rivalry is long past it's used by date. (Long past is a stretch but I'm just personally over it)
It was wonderful to help them on their way out of Finals in 2016, with Bulldogs putting the final nail in the coffin :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back