Should we experiment with Moore as a back-man?

Where would you play Darcy?

• KPF/RUCK

• KPD

• Swingman. 50/50.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moore looks like he could be a good forward but potentially a superstar backman. He could play like Silvagni The Accursed, long-limbed, either fisting the ball away or good on the intercept mark.

His versatility means that you can still throw him in the ruck or switch him forward to challenge a short defence.

Moore looks like he could be a good forward but potentially a superstar backman. He could play like Silvagni The Accursed, long-limbed, either fisting the ball away or good on the intercept mark.

His versatility means that you can still throw him in the ruck or switch him forward to challenge a short defence.

I totally disagree. I think he can immediately be a solid defender, but with little star potential in a defensive role. To me Moore, has amazing attributes, but one weakness - game sense. Star defenders, like Rance and MacGovern, are stars because they have an uncanny game sense and judgement that enables them to peel off their opponent extremely regularly and impact contests without being hurt by having left their opponent. They just make the right decision ridiculously often. Lever is so highly rated and went for such a high price, because he projects in the same way.

For the time being, until he develops more game sense, Moore is far better suited to the forward line where he doesn't really have to make a decision and just has to try to get to as many contests as possible. In the forward line, it doesn't matter much if he falls short of the contest, because chances are the defender will have played it safe by following him in anyway and won't be left alone in the clear - even if the defender is left alone, it's much better to leave your man alone in defensive 50 than forward 50.

To be honest, I think Moore will make a terrific defender if played there. But it would be too big a sacrifice. I'd almost play him on a wing and give him a licence. Moore isn't a huge goal kicker, but he is probably our best target. Even the way the Saints use Riewoldt late in his career is a good example. Pretty much just put him on a wing and he followed the ball.
I understand your thinking but see the problem with Moore compared to Riewoldt in this role is his ball winning potential. Riewoldt was always a high possession forward like Richo so the roaming role on the wing suited. Moore both as a junior and in his AFL career to date has struggled to build his possession numbers. He is shaping more as an impact player who is very much quality over quantity.

I think the back role can work and won't hurt him. I have heard from a reliable source that he will definitely be trialled there. I think he may be excellent as a no frills stopping KPB who can nullify the star big forwards with his athletic traits and closing speed but may not translate into an attacking force as he may struggle again with game involvement. Ironically he may be an exciting low output forward v an effective but more dour backman.

Ox and Wallett discussing this now. I'm not a Pies guy but was a big fan of P Moore and a bigger fan of what his son could be.

Personally, if this is a development move, no problem. But if they've made up their mind he's not a forward i would find it staggering and a waste of a career.

Moore both as a junior and in his AFL career to date has struggled to build his possession numbers. He is shaping more as an impact player who is very much quality over quantity.

I'd argue that is in part due to our extremely poor delivery inside 50 in his AFL career to date

I was against the idea originally but have since changed my mind, purely because of the delicately balanced back 6 right now. I went to the last game of the year and geez he looked comfy down there and let's be honest Reid going forward this year hasn't exactly been a disaster either - we've got nothing to lose really. Obviously it will all hinge on opposition/venue/conditions etc. as to if and when Nathan implements the move again

Ox and Wallett discussing this now. I'm not a Pies guy but was a big fan of P Moore and a bigger fan of what his son could be.

Personally, if this is a development move, no problem. But if they've made up their mind he's not a forward i would find it staggering and a waste of a career.

What this guy said.

Moore is the biggest young talent on our list and is developing nicely for a young forward. He is among the best young key forwards in the game already and with his athletic traits, probably has a higher ceiling than most of those around him.

I think people forget he's yet to play 50 games because 10 touches, 6 marks and a couple of tackles a game for a young key forward in a team with diabolical delivery last season is excellent for someone who went into the season with 26 games to his name, especially considering the awful start to the season that he had. If he ups his goal tally which will naturally happen over the next few years and raises his possession numbers by 4 or 5 per game, which isn't much especially given that our ball movement can't possibly get worse, he's already a star. He improves further than that, he's among the best forwards in the game.

By comparison, Josh Kennedy went into his third season with five games more experience than Moore did when he went into his and his average output for every stat in that season was almost exactly the same as Darcy's at the same point, except that he tackled half as often as Darcy.

The kid is something special and doesn't have the traits of a modern intercepting defender. Just let the kid develop where he is.

I'd argue that is in part due to our extremely poor delivery inside 50 in his AFL career to date
No doubt that contributes. It's the biggest flaw in our team and hurts the forwards. Still even at VFL and TAC level he never got higher stat numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt that contributes. It's the biggest flaw in our team and hurts the forwards. Still even at VFL and TAC level he never got higher stat numbers.
We haven't taken into to account our also extremely poor development either, remember this kid is only 21 and with the new coaching panel and Maxy looking over things in a way that gives me confidence we'll develop better and not just Darcy

From the afl website

"'Bucks' was really good to me this year – I really respect him – and he was honest with me. He said Darcy was going down back, and obviously we've got 'Howey' (Jeremy Howe) down there who's an absolute gun, and 'Dunny' (Lynden Dunn) had a really good season, so they felt they had enough defenders," he said.

Darcy heading back into defence.

From the afl website

"'Bucks' was really good to me this year – I really respect him – and he was honest with me. He said Darcy was going down back, and obviously we've got 'Howey' (Jeremy Howe) down there who's an absolute gun, and 'Dunny' (Lynden Dunn) had a really good season, so they felt they had enough defenders," he said.

Darcy heading back into defence.
* off

Schade thinks Darcy's move is more than an experiment. From afl.com.au:

Schade said that at season's end Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley basically told him he was surplus to requirements, given Darcy Moore would be moved from attack to defence.

EDIT: ash84 posted this about an hour ago, (which has now been moved to this thread by a Mod). For real-time coverage of breaking news, follow Ash. IF you are a little dim-witted and seek irrelevant tangents, stay with me.

Last edited:
I’d just started to feel positive about Buckley next year (and it took a lot of effort), and now we pretty much get confirmation that Darcy’s “trial” down back is pretty much a locked in plan.

It’s so ******* Collingwood to turn the most exciting forward prospect we’ve had in years in to a defender because he hasn’t produced immediate results carrying the forward line by himself...

I’d just started to feel positive about Buckley next year (and it took a lot of effort), and now we pretty much get confirmation that Darcy’s “trial” down back is pretty much a locked in plan.

It’s so ******* Collingwood to turn the most exciting forward prospect we’ve had in years in to a defender because he hasn’t produced immediate results carrying the forward line by himself...
No it isn't. If anything "******* Collingwood" is persisting with a guy in the same position while we all scream for him to be moved.

No it isn't. If anything "******* Collingwood" is persisting with a guy in the same position while we all scream for him to be moved.
Both really. Move the guy they shouldn’t move, persist with the guy who should have been moved months ago. It’s how they roll at the Holden centre.

We finally find the perfect second ruck after going through a revolving door through rejects and we want to move down back. Can't I go into a seeing where where I don't see problems till at least the pre sarson matches.

Back